banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-22-2011, 03:05 AM   #51
brink-

Default Re: Terry

I always loved when we got a good audience and they would applaud Terry's playing on Sundown or his riff on another song - he would have the sweetest smile and be all shy about it, shrugging his shoulders. But he would beam at the recognition.
Every musician in that band has a signature song (for me), SFAWN or WOTEF (Restless is great too) - Barry, Alberta Bound - Mike, Sundown (intro is fantastic) - Rick sometimes they don't get the recognition. Terry stood out on his songs because he did "solos" he loved every second of it. He sure will be missed. I would be a nervous new guy.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:14 AM   #52
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

When I saw them in the seattle concert in Nov, Terry did a solo on Christian Island that was beautiful. He made his guitar sound like a mandolin, then he stuck out his tongue like it was hard for him to do that. Of course we all loved it. My favorite guitar solos were in I'll do anything and Somewhere USA. I hit rewind on my cds often on those two songs. You are right, Brink, he will be missed and a new guy will surely have his work cut out for him.
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:24 AM   #53
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Sad, sad news. Condolences to Terry's family and his extended 'Lightfoot' family. Terry was note-perfect at the one concert I attended (Wisconsin 2008).
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #54
youngstranger

Sad news. Living in Europe and being a pretty new fan, I never got to see Terry in person but I appreciate the body of work he has left and all the nice things fans have said about him

By a strange coincidence on Sunday I was in the reocrding studio doing a cover of For Loving Me with a friend. The only time I've ever done such a thing. It's funny how the world works.
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:24 AM   #55
PeterB

I've had a weird day too today just listening again to the Lightfoot folio of work and paying closer attention than usual to Terry's part in it all. Hi to Dave from Melbourne - I'm there too and I was at a Gord concert in Wisconsin like you - but in 2006 at the Riverside Theatre in Milwaukee. I got to speak to Gordon and Terry that night. I even spoke to Terry on the afternoon of the concert when I saw him unloading gear from a truck in the alley near the stage door. For a Roady he sure was one hell of a guitarist.
PeterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:40 AM   #56
charlene

I always loved when he walked offstage at the break with his arms in the air and hands clapping in front of him..And a big grin on his face and he'd come back after the break the same way...
His little bits of fun behind the boss's back were always a treat to watch, especially if Rick, Barry and Mike laughed about it too. And then the bad boy grin he'd have if The Boss turned around to see what was going on..
Kathy K. has givenme permission to post these pics. One is a most beautiful portrait of Terry and the other is very touching as he kneels to speak with Kathy's mum. Terry was her mum's favourite..They will both be at Massey in May.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	499159580603_0_ALB[1].jpg
Views:	668
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	4163   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.JPG
Views:	670
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	4164  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #57
Lisa J

wonderful pictures. thanks for sharing.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:04 AM   #58
3pennies

What was his family life?
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:16 PM   #59
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pennies View Post
What was his family life?
??

He had two daughters and a son.
As with Lightfoot, all band members day to day private lives are also kept private by them.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:23 PM   #60
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Such sad news, words fail me.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 01:22 PM   #61
3pennies

The news on Terry reminded me of this thread from Nov 2010 entitled "Concerned about Terry Clements"

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=22528
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:07 PM   #62
WVhillbilly57

I just read the above mentioned thread and I saw the Lakeland Fl, Greensburg PA and Portsmouth Va shows last year and I never noticed anything odd. Terry and I spoke before the Lakeland show discussing the "flu bug" the boys had been battling. He seemed fine to me all in all.

I am in shock and will greatly miss the T sign we made with our hands to each other as he exited the stage at shows end.

In closing, I am Kevin and this is my first post. Some of ya'll know me and know that I am not much of a talker or "smell me" type. But I want to mention that I am now going to pick up a great pair from a broker for the Greensboro show and I may be making that trip alone so I may have an extra ticket. So, let me know if you have an extra tic or may need an extra. RIP Terry (I am flashing you the T sign)

There's a train down at the station
It's come to carry my bones away
Two engines on
Twenty-one coaches long
End to end
Twenty-one coaches bend

Last edited by WVhillbilly57; 02-22-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: add song quote
WVhillbilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM   #63
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Terrible news, Jenney. I'll never forget that long ago night in Red Bank.

I've been down in the dumps since hearing this.

Cathy
Old 02-22-2011, 03:12 PM   #64
Dan O'Malley

Such sad news. Thanks for the music Terry. RIP
Old 02-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #65
lighthead2toe

Yea, me too Cathy.

Yesterday I went to try a few tunes but nothing would work. It was a complete downer.

It's clear that when the real effect of something like this hits home, it stays with you for a while.

I remember getting the very same feeling when Red Shea passed on. I guess it's all part of being so closely connected to these guys through the music.

My heart goes out to Gord and the band as well as the friends and family. It must be really a tough blow for all to handle.

RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 03:54 PM   #66
Dream Street Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVhillbilly57 View Post
I just read the above mentioned thread and I saw the Lakeland Fl, Greensburg PA and Portsmouth Va shows last year and I never noticed anything odd. Terry and I spoke before the Lakeland show discussing the "flu bug" the boys had been battling. He seemed fine to me all in all.

I am in shock and will greatly miss the T sign we made with our hands to each other as he exited the stage at shows end.

In closing, I am Kevin and this is my first post. Some of ya'll know me and know that I am not much of a talker or "smell me" type. But I want to mention that I am now going to pick up a great pair from a broker for the Greensboro show and I may be making that trip alone so I may have an extra ticket. So, let me know if you have an extra tic or may need an extra. RIP Terry (I am flashing you the T sign)

There's a train down at the station
It's come to carry my bones away
Two engines on
Twenty-one coaches long
End to end
Twenty-one coaches bend

Welcome to Corfid my friend.

I hope our paths will cross sometime this year. Finally got the signed poster from The Mountaineer framed and up on my wall. I think some of us will always see Terry in his place no matter who sits in that chair. Talk to you soon.

DSR
Old 02-22-2011, 05:24 PM   #67
Morgaine

Am really shocked and saddened to hear about Terry. He has played at every Lightfoot concert I've ever been to. I can't imagine a GL concert without him -
Morgaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 PM   #68
Sundreme

I feel sadder today than yesterday. Yesterday the feeling of loss was real but it was tempered by shock. Today as that shock fades, the saddness grows, as I come to terms with the fact that Terry is really gone. I do not want this to be true. Its not right that there should be a world without Terry Clements.

I have so many nice memories of him through the years, including the one I mentioned where he asked Barry H. if I could come backstage after the show. When I did come back, he acted so happy to see me.
But the best memory I have was in Toronto in 1999. I was in town with many of my fellow Lightheads for the Massey Hall gig. Some of us spotted Terry walking down the street. I went up to him and told him of our previous meetings and how much I appreciated his kindness. He smiled, those blue eyes of his lit up as he opened his arms and enveloped me in the warmest hug ever.

Many of you know I used to be vastly overweight and not too many guys or people in general acted thrilled to see me, so that hug was extra special. Gord has also treated me wonderfully over the years.

I've lost most of the weight as some of you know and now people treat me differently, but I will always be grateful to GL and to Terry for their sweetness towards me. I'm glad that I got to thank Terry that one time those many years ago in Toronto, but I was still heavy back then and now that I've lost the weight, I had wished to meet Gord and Terry one more time to let them know how much those joy those brief moments gave me.

Maybe I'll still get the chance with Gord, but it hurts to know that will never happen with Terry. So I'll just send my vibes out to the universe and hope that where ever he is he gets them. So thank you Terry for making this one time fat girl feel pretty and special.
Love and Hugs,
Erica

Last edited by Sundreme; 02-22-2011 at 10:16 PM.
Sundreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:01 PM   #69
T.G.

My God, I just logged on here and this is the first I've heard of this. How awful ... he was the one member of the band I was never able to have a picture taken with and now it shall not happen at all. Rest in peace, condolences to the family and thank you for the great music over the years.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:13 PM   #70
Lisa J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundreme View Post
So I'll just send my vibes out to the universe and hope that where ever he is he gets them. So thank you Terry for making this one time fat girl feel pretty and special.
Love and Hugs,
Erica

What a moving story. I hope Terry gets your vibes out there. I think all of us are sending them.
I am glad you got a hug from him. He once held his arms out to me for a hug after a concert and I thought the hug was directed at someone behind me. I turned to look and realized there was no one there. Then the moment was gone and I missed a Terry hug. Oh to have that moment back. I am glad you have that wonderful memory.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #71
bjm7777

My thoughts and prayers go out to the Clements family for their loss. I loved his picking on Carefree Highway, or The Watchman's Gone. I hope Gord doesn't pack it up, now - but I can't imagine getting another player, with Red Shea gone, too.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:49 PM   #72
redhead

Char, any word on how Gordon is holding up?

Considering that they may have spent more time together collectively than with their respective families given the amount of touring they've done over the years, the feeling of loss among the entire band has got to be enormous.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:54 PM   #73
dad2mak

Massey Hall, 2005. Some nice memories.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0659.JPG
Views:	638
Size:	271.3 KB
ID:	4165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0680.JPG
Views:	667
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	4166  
dad2mak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:12 AM   #74
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenney View Post
The end of an era.
it certainly is...thanks, Jenney...my best to his many, many loved ones

lately, i've feared clicking when i've logged in and spotted a 'single name' typed into the Subject line...a few weeks ago it was Bernie's name, and I was quite relieved to find it was a false alarm, and actually a nice, living tribute thread

as for a replacement:
his leads and rhythm may be filled, but the textures and smile he brought, will not

YouTube - 1998 Restless CBC
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tc.jpg
Views:	634
Size:	120.9 KB
ID:	4167  
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:42 AM   #75
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
as for a replacement:
his leads and rhythm may be filled, but the textures and smile he brought, will not
Indeed. A void in that camaraderie seems impossible to fill in. But I think Lightfoot will find a way. I hope I'm not wrong.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote