banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #1
charlene

Default Hockey in Canada - video (incl.Lightfoot)

http://nhl.si.com/2013/02/02/must-se...steps-montage/
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:29 PM   #2
jj

Default Re: Hockey in Canada - video (incl.Lightfoot)

some nice footage just like used at the opening night in toronto montage

big oversight in that piece was going from Foster to Cole and just tons (always too much) of Bowen, imo....i grew up on Bill Hewitt, where were his calls? perhaps one

at least they had a bit of Paul Morris on the PA...no Ralph Fraser on organ

yeah, these pieces are for the new blood and younger adult folks or at least the last 15-20 years era of Cherry, MacLean, Cole, etc...

Gallivan, great stuff and didn't hear Dick Irvin....what about Roger Doucette?

imo, best footage was young Orr interviewed by Ward Cornell (a young Cashman was beside Bobby)

yes, to me, HNIC is about the Cornell's, Bob Goldham (Goldie), Jack Dennet, Dave Hodge, etc...Peter Puck? Showdown? (came long before the shootout)

the coffee table books and montages are nice, but the entire documentary is in my head.... long with char's and millions of others across the land...lands

btw, i would have to read the lyrics but i didn't see the soundtrack suiting the vibe of the images and adrenalin in my veins....too bad HNIC theme couldn't be used ...they don't even use the contest winner's version anymore...it's all a racket

i looked forward to road games on radio on sunday nights listening to another Hewitt, Doug....great for trying "not" to keep focused on schoolwork, lol

and the weeknight games (usually Weds) on CHCH usually made the schoolday go by slowly...we played "closest to the wall" and "leaners" during recess without our bubble gum OpeeChee cards...our hands were frozen as we traded, lol...

i think an image of Habs#4 represents to magic, or Bower, etc...but not a kiss to Gilmour from Cherry...that's more a Coaches Corner overused salute

atleast Dougie was wearing Dave Hodges old blazer

congrats CBC...if it wasn't for your success with HNIC, our taxes would be even higher....lol

ps) my first game at MLG was Leaf win over Rangers, 3-1...1967...i got Bob Nevin and John Ratelle (he had scored) signing my programme....i was most fascinated by the gondola and stairs and the camera guys covering the play...and those Leaf lady ushers in form fitting suit Blue were stunning, even to a 5 year old

Last edited by jj; 02-03-2013 at 06:31 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
jj

hey, Mike "Myers" is in the montage, lol ....he didn't have his Wayne's World (or REM) guitar

great clip of Cornell with young Darryl Sittler!

i liked the towel with the real hockey stick HNIC logo, not the exploding C pumpkin ...they are right, the towel on the shoulder was an out of body experience...it was in the Coliseum (for me) where the Nordique used to play

i think for any east coaster, Cole is as legendary as Foster... personally speaking i always wanted my sportscaster to have a nasal delivery, like the Hewitts, or like all those stereotype guys calling boxing matches or baseball games.... but no disrespect to Bob...he sure got his play calling messed up lots in the latter years...i don't recall him in his early CBC years, when i was busy up to no good on Saturday nights as a twenty something

i forgot about the colour guys... besides old Goldie, what about Harry Neale and Howie Meeker!!! .... i gotta say, Jim Hughson always calls a good game...and this Amy gal is really good (take care, Cassie) ... and Scott Russell is quite fine...yeah, HNIC The Next Generation is is good hands...still waiting for the Empire to Strike Back (i.e.. Leafs...some promising talent...i guess they will never get rid of the fighting...enforcers, protectors, etc....yawn)

oh, btw, this is old Gord footage from another earlier tribute piece aint it?

or perhaps its him repeating the same cliche stuff (just like hockey players do in interviews, lol)...Downie is always so poetic...the toque

Cole (much to my ignorance) was legendary radio HNIC guy first...'73...wow

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/hnic/index_trad.html

Last edited by jj; 02-03-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:19 PM   #4
charlene

yeah - that's footage from an earlier interview of Gord..
very fitting that the always classy Jean Beliveau ends the piece..

ONLY NHL game I ever attended was when the ex won tix/all expenses paid to Montreal to see Toronto play the Habs. Seats right behind the HABS bench and I sat beside the actor Samuel L.Jackson...

my part in keeping the hockey tradition going: my almost 29 yr.old son @ 7 1/2 meets the man he's named after, Darryl Sittler in Nov.1991.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nov.91-Darryl and Darryl Sittler-small size.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	124.6 KB
ID:	5783  
Old 02-03-2013, 07:34 PM   #5
jj

awesome photo and keepsake...both look wonderful...91 is when i stopped collecting cards...that's when there were suddenly 12 card companies and no more bubble gum and 900 players to a set, and each had 5 rookie cards, etc

your home breaths Leafs and Canadiana....Le Gros Bill is the only Hab allowed in my shrine
Old 02-04-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
Rob1956

Hey, those of you who are Canadians on this thread. I don't know much about hockey and the Canadian mystique of it all, but is there a division between Canadians who root for American teams, compared to Canadian teams? For us baseball fans, there were only two Canadian options: Montreal or Toronto. Living in Chicago, I never met a Canadian baseball team fan. But things are different in hockey, there are so many Canadian and American teams. If someone who lives in Toronto loves Philadelphia are they shunned? Just wondering how all this works.
Rob1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
jj

Lots of leaf fans throughout the continent. But also lots of anti leaf and Ontario sentiment too

Kinda like folks liking to boo the Yankees

anyhow I don't know Philly fans since broad street bully era but I wouldn't shun a fan of any original six team. I know many who bleed Bruins, Red Wings. Black Hawks too with their great uni's. Rangers had many on the bandwagon when 99 and Messier were there. And Giacomin. Lol

It's Habs fans that deserve the shunning. Sens too!

These are gross generalizations but some merit

I like Tampa as long as Martin and Vincent are there

...I love spotting a blue Leaf jersey abroad. Or an Expos one.. anywhere
Old 02-04-2013, 11:41 PM   #8
charlene

8 days till pitchers and catchers are @ spring training!
I LOVES the baseball...
Just watched a few of the Jays on their spring tour' going to western cities and meeting fans at schools/hospitals/local hockey games/curling rinks/military base..LOVE it!! The Jays are Canada's only ball team so they do this tour every year in different places across the country. Fan support across the country for them is amazing.

like JJ says - there's many a Canuck across the land that hates the Leafs/and Toronto/Ontario in general.
lol

Some Canadians will root for a US hockey team if they live close to the border and a Canadian team/rink isn't in close proximity.

I am not watching the shortened 48 game hockey season. I check the news and papers/online and read about the games but will not watch on TV.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:04 AM   #9
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post

I am not watching the shortened 48 game hockey season
Old 02-06-2013, 07:30 PM   #10
Auburn Annie

Love it - posted it on FB for my husband and other Canadians friends and relations.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
jj

annie, you might want to send them this one... it' what played on the Leaf scoreboard and across the country on tv before the 2013 player intros and puck drop

subtle majestic music...no poetic narration required with this video/film footage

(wonderful faces of Plante, Bower, Armstrong, Clarke, Roberts, Gilmour, Tucker...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjWCg5Hi8kY
and the funny Sittler shuffle during the puck drop from space

astronaut Hadfield is from my town
Old 02-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
Islandgirl1

Char, thanks for posting this. I am not a hockey fan, but have a sister-in-law, Pat, who is a fanatic [Rangers]. I send this to her. As a kid she used to go to Ranger games with her Dad who fostered the love of the game. These were times before helmets & face guards. Then when she was able to drive she followed the Rangers all over the map. Although she is not a Canadian, Pat said she totally enjoyed watching it and reliving her past. So, thanks.
Islandgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote