banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 10-23-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
sunshine

Default Gordon at the Northern Arizona University

While driving to Flagstaff from the Phoenix airport, I passed the sign for Carefree Highway, US 74. Apparently, this is the sign that inspired Gordon 37 years ago when he and Rick were driving past it at 1 am. As soon as he saw it, Gordon thought, "Now there is an idea for a song."

Anyway, last night Gordon sang Carefree Highway pretty early on in the program, perhaps Song 4 or 5. Shortly thereafter, audience members started shouting out requests for Carefree Highway. At first Gordon seems confused, but then assumed that they must be latecomers who missed it the first time around. After the intermission, Gordon surveyed the audience, asking if they wanted to hear it again. Enough people responded in the affirmative, and Gordon sang it a second time. This was intentional and different from last May at Massey Hall when he (we think) sang it inadvertently a second time.

Everyone seems to like the idea of the 7:30 concert start time. It lets the boomers get out and home at a reasonable hour, especially during the work week, and I bet it's easier on Gordon, the band and the crew; makes a shorter night of it all. But for patrons who don't examine their tickets carefully, they can miss the first half hour of the concert by assuming an 8 pm start, although that's what it is tomorrow in Phoenix.
________
Harley-Davidson FXRS

Last edited by sunshine; 01-26-2011 at 12:44 AM.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 09:57 PM   #2
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.
Default Re: Gordon at the Northern Arizona University

Thanks for the little concert report. I decided I'd better "bone up" on some GL info after I just decided to head down to see a concert myself...

Oh, and that's not US 74, that's AZ 74. I went by there once - like 5 years ago, and stopped to take this photo...

-Andy

Old 10-24-2008, 01:50 AM   #3
sunshine

Right you are. I stand corrected. Cool picture. And song. Does that mean you are going to Phoenix tomorrow night?
________
CR250R

Last edited by sunshine; 01-26-2011 at 12:45 AM.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:19 PM   #4
Andy T.

Nope, not at Phoenix - I guess that would be going on as I write this. Rather Saturday in Albuquerque. If I'm reading the ticket I got right, looks like a front row seat even, I was surprised at that, as late as I decided to go. expensive though.

-Andy
Old 10-24-2008, 10:33 PM   #5
Dream Street Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T. View Post
Nope, not at Phoenix - I guess that would be going on as I write this. Rather Saturday in Albuquerque. If I'm reading the ticket I got right, looks like a front row seat even, I was surprised at that, as late as I decided to go. expensive though.

-Andy
Hi Andy,

You know the old saying, "Expensive but worth it". I hope you have a very special night in Albuquerque.

DSR
Old 10-24-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
charlene

woo-hoo Andy! front row - priceless!
enjoy!!!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:29 AM   #7
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

Promoters usually have a few tickets left from those they held back. About a week before the concert, if they have more than a few, they will release them for sale at all ticket outlets (if they have a lot left, they will release them even earlier). The last handful are often sold at the box office the night of the show - a very pleasant surprise for the lucky few who get those right before the concert.

Have a great time, Andy, and please report back. It is wonderful seeing you among us "Lightheads" again. We old timers missed you! You were even online with other Lightheads before I was, if I remember correctly (the old AOL chat room?).
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 07:42 AM   #8
Andy T.

Thanks Valerie! I'll report back. Just booked a relatively cheap motel room online, but they say it has wifi so I'll try to post something tonight. Yeah I've been kind of in stealth mode for a while now. I miss that old AOL GL chat sometimes. Haven't even looked at the old NG in like a year or two either. I should have planned to do this concert earlier, but didn't.

The ticket says row AA, seat 16. Looking at the map, it looks like front row center. I just plugged in "best ticket available" and that one popped up. Actually, that's not really the best ticket - I was forgetting when I got it that Gord turns the volume down so much that you're better off several rows back so that you can hear the speakers better. But the view will be nice.

Well, it's time to pack the car and leave!
-Andy
Old 10-25-2008, 07:46 AM   #9
vlmagee

Yup, that's a promoter's giveback for sure! When the promoter finds he has fewer "friends, friends and family of performer, media, special, lucky people" than he originally thought, a good fan gets lucky!
Old 10-25-2008, 08:31 AM   #10
Jesse Joe

Hi Andy T.

Are you sure AA is not in the balcony, which would also be nice seats totaly different view. Depending of course on the size of the venue.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:49 AM   #11
vlmagee

Andy is undoubtedly on his way by now. But no worries! AA is front row orchestra. There is no balcony ... (there are ZZ seats at the back, and maybe other high letter double letter rows, but the low double letters are right in front of the stage, "pit" like, and folding chairs. But that won't bother Andy, nor would it bother me!

Old 10-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #12
Jesse Joe

Thanks for the info Val, of course if there is no balcony that says it all. But here many theatres that have balcony are usually the AA's...aso... I guess then he has real good seats, and that's good to know.

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 10-25-2008 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #13
vlmagee

Right. It varies from theater to theater. But, based on the seating chart at Ticketmaster, AA is front row. So Andy should sue if it isn't!
Old 10-25-2008, 10:42 AM   #14
Jesse Joe

lol ! Right On Val. :
Old 10-26-2008, 01:14 AM   #15
Andy T.

Yeah, I did look at the seating chart pretty close.... I remember back in 97 my Dad got us tickets on a balcony in Cheyenne - I guess we were the only ones, because they did not allow us to sit in them the night of the show "Sorry, balcony is closed" and made us find unused seats down below. We weren't very happy about that one.

I'll start a new thread up about my thoughts on the Albuquerque show...
-Andy