banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-22-2012, 06:43 PM   #26
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Default Re: HE"S IN!!! He's an INDUCTEE!! 2012 Songwriters Hall of Fame nominees - LIGHTFOOT!

I'm thrilled for Gord and also for Bob Seger. Disappointed that Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam was overlooked and I hope it had nothing to do with religious "politics". I'm not surprised that Van Morrison and James Taylor were already inducted. And I imagine Jackson Browne and Don McLean would be considered too.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:00 PM   #27
Yuri

Default Re: HE"S IN!!! He's an INDUCTEE!! 2012 Songwriters Hall of Fame nominees - LIGHTFOOT!

Just another short mention of this wonderful announcement

http://www.toronto.com/article/714506

Feb 22, 2012

NEW YORK, N.Y.—Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot is being inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame.

The 73-year-old troubadour will be feted at an awards dinner in New York on June 14.

Lightfoot joins Bob Seger, Don Schlitz, Harvey Schmidt & Tom Jones and Jim Steinman as the newest members of the select group.

The Orillia, Ont.-born singer is credited with helping define the folk-pop sound of the 1960s and 1970s.

His hits include “Early Morning Rain,” “Sundown,” “If You Could Read My Mind,” “Carefree Highway” and “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald.”

Hall of fame chairman Jimmy Webb says each of this year’s inductees “has created a unique range of extraordinary contributions.”
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lightfoot.jpg
Views:	675
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	4863  
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 08:28 PM   #28
Patti

Congratulations, Gordon.
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 10:02 AM   #29
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
He has won. He is an inductee now. Not just nominated.
Oh yes, sorry, that 'is' what he wins. I think he should get a plaque or a star somewhere in the US too, like on the Walk of Fame, or at the least another trophy.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:52 AM   #30
charlene

here's some video interviews/performances from previous induction events http://songhall.org/video/members
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:07 AM   #31

The videos in Char's last post included a grab of Jackson Browne around the time of his induction in 2007. And the SHOF website shows that Don McLean has also been inducted. It would be interesting to see the whole list of 400-odd inductees.

Last edited by Dave, Melbourne,Australia; 02-24-2012 at 11:22 AM.
Old 02-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #32
charlene

http://songwritershalloffame.org/exhibits/era - by era
http://songwritershalloffame.org/exh...alphabetically - alphabetically

click on name for bio/songlist etc.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #33
Patti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave, Melbourne,Australia View Post
Disappointed that Cat Stevens/Yusuf Islam was overlooked and I hope it had nothing to do with religious "politics".
Yes, Yusef should be in there. I have his newer cd's, "roadsinger", and "An Other Cup". I like them, and hope he is still writing. I was very happy to get them after all those years. Think GL has them?
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:45 PM   #34
timetraveler

I STILL await the day that Gordon will be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame, though.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:48 PM   #35
Judy

I am thrilled that the US SHOF has inducted Lightfoot!! I was beginning to wonder about the SHOF voting members, but they finally fixed this oversight.

Congratulations and best wishes to Gord!
Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #36
patybear

Gee whiz,how did I manage to miss THIS news?! Alright Gordy!
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:47 AM   #37
charlene

New York, N.Y. —

Bette Midler’s voice has helped make songs like “Wind Beneath My Wings” classics, and now she’ll be honored for that gift.

Midler is set to receive the Sammy Cahn Lifetime Achievement Award at the Songwriters Hall of Fame on June 14 in New York. The organization’s chairman, Jimmy Webb, says Midler “captivated the world” with her “stylish presentation and unmistakable voice, making each song her own.”

Past Sammy Cahn honorees include Dick Clark, Neil Diamond and Tony Bennett.

The Songwriters Hall of Fame is inducting Bob Seeger, Gordon Lightfoot, Don Schlitz, Harvey Schmidt and Tom Jones, and Jim Steinman this year.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #38
Borderstone

Paty bear,don;t be embarrased about missing the news.......I just now read it here! (3/9/2012 3:40pm AZ time.)

1,000,000 RIGHT ON's! from me ! About blessed time! Can you believe "Bread" / David gates was placed in before him? Man!

T.T - I also will never give up hoping that he'l get into the R&R H.O.F. ! If the ycan induct "Dr. John" , they can ceertainly induct Gordon Lightfoot.
Old 03-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #39
LindaWild

Send a message via Skype™ to LindaWild

It seems a tad weird he's not been given that honour already. Kris Kristofferson (sp?) isn't as relevant anymore as Gord is now. Nothing against KK - love some of his stuff, but really.
LindaWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:08 PM   #40
charlene

KK is still writing and putting out CD's - 2 or 3 in the last several years and another in the works. He performs all over on tour and is being feted by all kinds of music associations. He's also involved in lots of causes and performs with all kinds of performers for them. He's also on the 2010 Willie Nelson album and the new one coming in May. He's also still acting in movies.
In april there will be a celebration of Johnny Cash's 80th with many terrific artists...Wish I could go! - The one-time event--taking place April 20 at Austin City Limits Live at The Moody Theater in Austin, TX--will celebrate the life and legacy of Johnny Cash in honor of what would have been his 80th birthday this year. Others confirmed to perform include Kenny Chesney, Kris Kristofferson, Ronnie Dunn, John Hiatt, Amy Lee, Shooter Jennings, Lucinda Williams, Ray LaMontagne and Jamey Johnson with more legendary surprise guests to be announced soon. Kris will be 76 on June 22 ... and still relevant.
Old 03-17-2012, 11:41 PM   #41
Judy

I have tickets to this - "We walk the Line" - along with a three or four hour drive to Austin. Can't wait!

KK and Lightfoot are both still very relevant, but I agree the US SHOF was a little late on bestowing the honor to Lightfoot. Happily, that is fixed now.
Judy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 AM   #42
LindaWild

Send a message via Skype™ to LindaWild

Guess Im just not plugged in! the jcash event looks great
LindaWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:40 PM   #43
charlene

I wonder who will present to Lightfoot /and/or perform ....hmmm....maybe Emmylou Harris?? Lyle Lovett? Kenny Rogers, Stevie Nicks??

http://www.songhall.org/news/entry/s...mers_announced
Old 05-31-2012, 08:28 PM   #44

Char, that latest link says Meat Loaf has been signed on as a "presenter and/or performer". He's obviously intended as the presenter for Jim Steinman's songwriting award. Judging by his woeful singing at the Australian Grand Final last September, they'd be taking a risk having him perform at a prestigious, high-profile event which is presumably televised live.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:35 AM   #45
charlene

http://www.cbc.ca/news/arts/story/20...riters-us.html

Lightfoot will sing IYCRMM and Lyle Lovett will sing SUNDOWN. Rick Haynes, Carter Lancaster, Bernie Fiedler (longtime promo man and friend) and Anne Liebold (longtime office mngr. @ EMP) will also be at the event.
Old 06-14-2012, 07:52 PM   #46

My friend in Wisconsin just emailed that article to me.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:08 PM   #47
Melissa

Anyone know if this is being broadcast anywhere? TV, streaming online, etc.?
Or, possibly, available anywhere after the fact?

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #48
charlene

they may have video/pics at the SHOF site soon..theyhave stuff from previous years so here's hoping..
Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #49
charlene

surprise guest - STEVE MILLER singing SUNDOWN @ SHOF !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AvZILm1CQAARSva[1].jpg
Views:	679
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	5054  
Old 06-14-2012, 09:33 PM   #50
Melissa

I just saw a pic there, of him arriving........

I want to watch the whole event!!!!!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote