banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #1
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug
Default Savannah Review

Received this from a sibling living close to Savannah. I never know they were a Lightfoot fan although we spent many hours singing and playing in the early 70's. I believe it is a wonderful review from what many of us would consider an 'outsider'

Enjoy

Well we just returned home from a wonderful evening at the Johnny Mercer Theatre in Savannah, GA. Let me be the first to say, yes Gordon Lightfoot is still a fine musician.

His opening number is one of my favorites - Did She Mention My Name? It was thin and it was almost like he had not warmed his voice..... not just because of the level of strength but because within two songs he was fired up and singing strong. Yet I noticed two things:

First, he seems stronger with the songs of the past 5 yeears.... since 2004. They are not as difficult to attack since the range is not as challenging.
Second, the audience came to see him succeed .... in fact you could hear the faintest of tones around the audience singing with him and through him...... He seemed to also be enchanted by the fact that the audience embraced him.

The second half of the show was even more improved than the first...... he sounded like he'd had a shot of B-12 or B-Strong....

I had to quietly sing..... Don Quixote and Beautiful...... along with the 2000 others in the audience. When he sang, If you could read my mind...... the audience was in fully engaged... true surround sound.

Is he the singer that he was in in 1980..... no but he is probably more of singer song writer who loves to share songs. He spoke of the Edmund Fitzgerald that now has a new line replacing the lines about the Hatches being what sank the ship..... Lightfood now speaks of the ship being split in two pieces.....

We were about 23 rows back dead center.orchestra..... good seats..... good acoustics. Well worth the $50 a seat.

If you have the opportunity to share this with anyone, do so. It was the greatest of concerts.... but it was memorable and enjoyable to hear and see the old man serve up a dose of good music and shared memories.
Old 03-10-2010, 01:05 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Savannah Review

great stuff Doug! thanks for sharing...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 01:19 PM   #3
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
he sounded like he'd had a shot of B-12 or B-Strong....
is this like Red Bull? if it helps with the volume deficiency, I'm good with it

thanks for passing this along, nice writeup
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #4
Auburn Annie

I've always felt he is stronger in the second half than the first and that it takes about 3 songs to get "warmed up" so to speak. Don't know why - I'm assuming he does some sort of vocal exercises before hittng the stage. Maybe the throat is a little tight until the rest of him relaxes with the crowd.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote