banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2017, 07:43 AM   #1
charlene

Default LIGHTFOOT by Nicholas Jennings - Sept.2017

Toronto music historian, Nicholas Jennings has written some wonderful music related books - this is his latest-coming in September:

https://www.amazon.ca/Lightfoot-Nich...holas+jennings
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
3pennies

Default Re: LIGHTFOOT by Nicholas Jennings - Sept.2017

At the Englewood, NJ show on April 13th last year I was able to speak to Gordon afterward.

I asked "your friend Robbie Robertson is publishing his autobiography this fall, any chance someday you will do the same?"

He looked at Kim and then looked at me and said something like "yes, it's being worked on."

Could this be what he was referring to?

Last edited by 3pennies; 03-21-2017 at 11:05 AM.
3pennies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #3
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3pennies View Post
He looked at Kim and then looked at me and said something like "yes, it's being worked on."

Could this be what he was referring to?
I hope so. And when it comes out, I'll be waiting to get my copy in the post. There's no way I would not consider buying such a book that Gord willingly contributed to.

And as the kind of long term fan who often does not even need to hear the songs any more, I know them so well, I don't really expect to learn much new from it. While Gord has been famously reluctant to oblige interviewers over the decades, the interviews he did grant are consistent. I know much about his workman-like approach to writing songs, and the fact some friggin' good tunes came out of that process. Yes, his bandmates and producers also influenced the arrangement of those songs, but Gord hired those people for a reason! And the songs would not exist if he hadn't locked himself into empty spaces and ground them out.
Old 05-09-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
charlene

The Canadian Press
Published Tuesday, May 9, 2017 10:35AM EDT

TORONTO - A biography on Canadian singer-songwriter Gordon Lightfoot is due this fall.
Penguin Canada says "Lightfoot," by music journalist Nicholas Jennings, will be published under the Viking Canada imprint on Sept. 26.

The publishing house says Jennings "has had a long-standing relationship" with Lightfoot for nearly two decades.

The biography will include input from family, friends, musical greats and industry insiders.
Penguin says the book will further "our understanding of how an inspired songwriter works" and "delight Lightfoot fans as well as attract new ones."
Old 05-09-2017, 03:48 PM   #5
charlene

reminder:
http://www.penguinrandomhouse.com/bo...9780735232556/

https://www.amazon.com/Lightfoot-Nic.../dp/0735232555

ABOUT LIGHTFOOT

The definitive biography of Canada’s most beloved singer-songwriter, a legendary musician who helped define the folk-pop era.

From the tender ballad of “Beautiful” to the historical lament of “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” to the plaintive political plea of “Black Day in July,” Gordon Lightfoot’s songs have inspired and enchanted fans for more than fifty years. Beloved by a devoted Canadian audience, Lightfoot’s work has been performed and admired by musicians from around the world, including Joni Mitchell, Nico, Ronnie Hawkins and Robbie Robertson. Nobel Prize-winner Bob Dylan once listed “Sundown” and “If You Could Read My Mind” among his favourite Lightfoot songs, before adding, “I can’t think of any I don’t like.” In addition to winning nearly every Canadian music award, in 2012, Lightfoot was inducted into the American Songwriters Hall of Fame alongside such luminaries as Leonard Cohen, Kris Kristoffersen, and Dylan; it honoured Lightfoot as a singer who helped “define the folk-pop sound of the 1960s and ’70s.”

Biographer Nick Jennings has had unprecedented access to the notoriously reticent musician. He chronicles Lightfoot’s early efforts–his school principal recorded a disc of “Gordie” singing at age 9–to his beginnings as a songwriter to his heyday in concert halls around the globe. Possessed of a strong work ethic and a perfectionist bent, Lightfoot brought discipline to his craft and performances. But he partied just as hard in that rock ‘n’ roll era, and alcoholism began to take its toll. Lightfoot toured relentlessly and his personal life suffered as marriages and relationships unravelled. At 63, he suffered an aortic aneurysm that nearly killed him and kept him in a coma for six weeks. But his amazing stamina helped him survive and miraculously saw him on stage once again, resuming his touring and yearly sold-out show at Massey Hall.

Jennings paints an unforgettable portrait of an artist in the making, set against the turbulent era of sex and drugs and rock ‘n’ roll. Voices from the music industry mix with loyal fans to illustrate how the boy from small-town Ontario became the legendary bard of Canada. Stuffed with anecdotes and the singer’s own reminisences, Lightfoot is an exhilarating read.

ABOUT NICHOLAS JENNINGS

NICHOLAS JENNINGS is one of Canada’s most respected music journalists. He was the music critic and feature writer for Maclean’s magazine from 1980 to 2000. In addition, he has written for Saturday Night, Billboard,Words & Music, TV Guide, Inside Entertainment… More about Nicholas Jennings

PRODUCT DETAILS

Hardcover | $30.00
Published by Viking
Sep 26, 2017 | 304 Pages | 6 x 9 | ISBN 9780735232556
Old 05-10-2017, 05:46 AM   #6
paskatefan

Oh, boy! We'll HAVE to get this one! Thanks for the heads up!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 10:54 AM   #7
charlene

AMAZON link: https://www.amazon.com/Lightfoot-Nic.../dp/0735232555
Old 05-11-2017, 12:46 AM   #8
Martyn Miles

Default GL biography on sale in Sep. 2017

Does anyone know if this will be available in the United Kingdom ?

I assume Amazon UK is the best place to start.

Thanks, in anticipation.

Martyn Miles
Witney
OX28 3HH

MOB: 0741 2277575
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 08:00 PM   #9
charlene

I would thing Amazon UK would be selling it as well.. I will ask Nicholas if he knows and what date if they are..
Old 05-11-2017, 11:18 PM   #10
Martyn Miles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
I would thing Amazon UK would be selling it as well.. I will ask Nicholas if he knows and what date if they are..
Thanks, Charlene.
Pre-ordered at AMAZON U.K.

Martyn
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #11
charlene

AMAZON uk - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lightfoot-N...holas+jennings
Old 05-14-2017, 05:42 AM   #12
Jim Nasium

Have ordered my copy from amazon.uk for 23.11 of my british pounds. Delivery date to be advised.
Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 04:59 AM   #13
Islandgirl1

I was browsing on Amazon tonight & glanced at their suggestion list for me.
When I came to book section there it was under biographies. I came right here & did a search to see if Char posted (as I expected), but not before I made my preorder @ Amazon(USA). Read the synopsis - can't wait to receive it on my Kindle app on September 27th. I haven't been here @ Corfid for some time. Will be coming around here more often. Miss you guys. Been a lot in my life over the past few years. I last saw GL @ the CBNY Theatre @ Westbury (Long Island, NY) this past May-I thoroughly enjoyed it.
-Dorothea
Islandgirl1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2017, 09:41 AM   #14
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Islandgirl1 View Post
I haven't been here @ Corfid for some time. Will be coming around here more often. Miss you guys.
-Dorothea
That is good to hear. We need to do something to attract old members back and new members to sign up. Maybe there is a way to export the member list to the Facebook page but we would probably need the corfid boss man for that project and he doesn't show up very often.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 02:40 AM   #15
Auburn Annie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
That is good to hear. We need to do something to attract old members back and new members to sign up. Maybe there is a way to export the member list to the Facebook page but we would probably need the corfid boss man for that project and he doesn't show up very often.

Bill
Still here, listening in occasionally. Last year was rough. My husband fell off a ladder in May and broke his skull in three places, damaged the hearing in his left ear, and fractured his back. As for me, I had a very bad reaction to Bactrim, putting me in the hospital for four days and leaving me with a swallowing disorder and severe peripheral neuropathy all over. Fortunately Rich has largely recovered except for the hearing and some residual TBI issues. My swallowing returned to normal after a few months but the neuropathy persists to some degree. And one of my siblings was diagnosed in May with renal cell carcinoma (kidney cancer), stage 4. On the plus side we now have 4 grandchildren : Patrick, James, Natalie and Charlotte. Keeps us busy. Don't get to many concerts these days but am seeing Sir Paul McCartney at the Syracuse Dome in about 3 weeks.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 07:51 AM   #16
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Good to hear from you Annie. Enjoy the show and I hope you get some relief from the trials and tribulations. Years ago I used to ask for a roll call now and then but I'm afraid many of the old members have drifted away.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 02:27 PM   #17
imported_Next_Saturday

Default Lightfoot.ca review of "Lightfoot" by Jennings

https://www.lightfoot.ca/biograph.htm

LIGHTFOOT
by Nicholas Jennings
A comprehensive Lightfoot biography.
Published by Viking - September 19, 2017
ISBN-10: 0735232555
ISBN-13: 978-0735232556

Lightfoot.ca Review - Sept. 12, 2017

Stating at the outset that the bar has been set very low by preceding attempts at chronicling Lightfoot's life and career may be very unfair to Mr. Jennings, it still can be said that in light of the very low threshold laid out before him to overcome, Nichlos Jennings' Lightfoot instantly stakes claim to the gold standard of Lightfoot biogarphies and most certainly would have done so even if the previous attempts had been more substantial in nature.

Jennings' interviews of Lightfoot and others close to him, obviously well thought out and plotted by the author in advance, have yielded meticulous detail never before unearthed in the vast volumes of newspaper and magazine articles that came before this book and which often rehashed many of the same well worn anecdotes. The author for the most part, particularly in the early years, avoids falling into that trap. It seems obvious to me that the author made himself very familiar with much of what has been out there in print over the past 5 decades, not an inconsequential achievement in and of itself, which allows him to follow a path uniquely his own in the telling of the Lightfoot story. Jennings has brought fresh detail and perspective to the arc of Lightfoot's life and musical career that suffuse the subject matter with a renewed energy and focus.

Highlights for me were the many engaging tales of Lightfoot's youth in and around Orillia, which illuminate why Lightfoot so often returns to the many aspects of nature within the framework of his songs, sometimes directly, or even in romantic songs utilizing nature as their backdrop, Shadows being a prime example. Very interesting too, is how Jennings sheds new light on the relationship between Lightfoot and Albert Grossman. Lightfoot being signed to the Grossman stable of artists was pivotal in Lightfoot's ultimate rise, but very little in the past has emerged that has added much in the way of nuance to the conflicted feelings between the two, but Jennings remedies that shortcoming with many stories that reveal a little more of Grossman's personality and his affection and respect for Gord, even after they parted ways. On the other end of the scale, we discover the inner workings of an almost fateful management agreement Lightfoot flirted entering into with Hollywood heavyweight, Jerry Weintraub.

Needless to say, Jennings chronicles the songs, the albums, the hits, the misses, all interspersed with colour from the stage, the backstage, the studio, the Lear jet - and all places in between. Events unfold chronologically, whether dealing with matters of a musical, business or personal nature. So you always know where you are in the grand timeline. The only exception being the introduction which finds us in 1975 Rosedale with the Rolling Thunder crew all under Gord's roof, while the host and Bob Dylan, guitars in hand are trading songs in an upstairs room .

The obvious minefield every author has to navigate when writing about Lightfoot, is in dealing with Gordon's personal life. Jennings to my mind avoids the condescending and moralizing attitudes that so many others have resorted to in their rush to sensationalize Lightfoot's personal struggles. This time we find a very balanced approach to this subject matter - be it the drinking, the failed relationships, not always being there for his children - Jennings does not sugarcoat any of this, but uses a deft hand and avoids being judgmental and gives Lightfoot full credit for how he turned all those issues around to finally become a consummate family man, all the while balancing an overwhelmingly busy music career.

While saying that all things pertaining to Lightfoot's music has become my life's work would be stating the case too strongly. However since first encountering Lightfoot's music as a 13 year old in 1968, it has certainly developed into a serious avenue of interest. With the dawn of the internet for the masses in the early 90's, much of at least the bare bones outline of what Jennings covers here has been out there in the public domain, yet his unique ability to compile all the disparate threads scattered throughout the ether into a very compelling narrative which can be cradled in the palm of your hands, is a masterful accomplishment and in point of fact, a service to Lightfoot's public to say the very least. His exhaustive interviews, often confirm, clarify and in some cases dispel many aspects of the Lightfoot story beforehand taken for granted. Are there factual errors to be found? Well, to my eye there are several, but too few and inconsequential to take away from the overall impact of the book.

So now that the new Jennings' biography has entered the Lightfoot canon of literature, we can rest in the knowledge that Lightfoot's career has finally been given the proper thoughtful, extensive and authoritative treatment, long overdue and richly deserved, yet until now has remained on the missing list. However we're still waiting for that tantalizingly elusive Lightfoot autobiography, or absent that, an insider's view of the Lightfoot musical odyssey, shedding light on the creative process from the inside looking out, as written by someone who was a first hand witness to many of these events as they unfolded. But that is merely my personal wish list, which should in no way diminish from this new and indispensible book. Nicholas Jennings' Lightfoot is a must read for the legions of followers of the legendary singer-songwriter's music the world over.

- Wayne Francis
Old 09-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #18
Andy T.

Default Re: Lightfoot.ca review of "Lightfoot" by Jennings

Good to know that Wayne got an advance copy. Heck... he friggin' deserves it!

And this has been in my Amazon Shopping Cart for months now. This review reminded me I needed to pull the trigger and actually order the bloomin' thing. Done.

I never got the previous bio, having heard ungood things about it. I did my own research back in the pre-internet days at the local collage library. And have read the numerous online interviews over the last 20-ish years. I'm sure Wayne did the same, so with this review I'm happy to order this title.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #19
charlene

Click on link then "LOOK INSIDE" on the bottom right of the photo to read several pages of the book - http://penguinrandomhouse.ca/books/5...#9780143199205
Old 09-20-2017, 04:08 PM   #20
Andy T.

Not for me. I'd rather wait and have the book in my hands.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:54 AM   #21
jj

i too have used the Wayne offerings from the Lightfoot website and his and others' (Richard Harrison, etc) injections to the original discussion boards (over 20 years ago now, wow) as a 'Bio type' of resource over the decades

Last edited by jj; 09-30-2017 at 10:30 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 01:42 PM   #22
imported_Next_Saturday

Review of the book from former manager Al Mair:
http://www.fyimusicnews.ca/articles/...holas-jennings

"My life has been quite complicated."

Gordon Lightfoot 2017

Over his entire career, Gordon Lightfoot chose to avoid any public knowledge about his personal life. Small parts of it have been played out in public...his first divorce, his million-dollar record contract, his drinking, his drunk driving charge, Cathy Smith and his almost career-ending health problems. Books have been written about him without his cooperation and he doesn't acknowledge reading them. Author Nick Jennings spent decades pursuing the opportunity to present Lightfoot's biography with his agreement, which was given - then taken away - and given again. This is the definitive book on Gordon Lightfoot's life and lengthy career.

Growing up in the small town of Orillia, Lightfoot's father, Gordon Sr., a child of the Great Depression, was a quiet and private man, while mother Jessie was always supportive of Lightfoot's musical interests. Early on, Gordon Jr. left Orillia to attend Westlake College of Modern Music in Hollywood. There he learned the tools of songwriting that would lead to the core of his career: personal songs, yet songs that the general public can relate to, be they about lost love, true love, cheating or human nature.

He returned to Canada and landed a spot on Tommy Hunter's CBC Television show...as a singing dancer. Dancing was not his forté, to put it mildly, but the exposure to television was excellent training for later on. He met guitarist Laurice Milton "Red" Shea, who recorded and toured with him for decades. He also joined the burgeoning Yorkville music scene and began to concentrate on performing and writing. Ian and Sylvia were the first to record one of his songs. Starting at Steele's Tavern on Yonge Street's "music row," sandwiched between A&A Records and Sam the Record Man, he began to build a loyal fan base. Steele Basil paid him a salary of $219 a week and food to take back to his basement apartment which he shared with his young Swedish wife, Brita.

Bernie Fielder, owner of the Yorkville club The Riverboat Coffee House, convinced Lightfoot to perform at his venue instead of Steele's, and soon he was filling the 'Boat twice a night for a week. After some 'Boat dates, with the support of Johnny Bassett Jr., heir to The Toronto Telegram newspaper and CFTO Television, Lightfoot performed his first storied Massey Hall concert. He has continued this practice and has played Massey Hall more than 150 times, more than any other artist except The Toronto Symphony Orchestra.

On the recording side, he signed a contract with Warner Brothers in Los Angeles, which led to the release of only one single, "I'm Not Sayin'." His then-manager Albert Grossman switched him to United Artists. He recorded five albums for UA, ending with his first live release Sunday Concert. All five albums surpassed 100,000 sales in Canada.

Unfortunately, there was no gold record certification system here at the time, or all his UA records would have been certified platinum. He then signed with Reprise Records, a Warner Bros. label originally started by Frank Sinatra.

A press conference in his office, which Lightfoot did not attend, led to the announcement of his million-dollar deal. His first release under the new contract was called Sit Down Young Stranger. Again, it soared to platinum in Canada, but US sales were disappointing. Seven months after its release, a Seattle disc jockey started playing "If You Could Read My Mind," and Reprise issued it as a single. It became a massive hit worldwide, and the song was covered by literally hundreds of artists including Barbra Streisand, Johnny Cash and other luminaries, as well as other songs in his catalogue, particularly "Early Morning Rain." Lightfoot is most proud that Elvis recorded it.

During this time, his marriage to Brita started to fall apart. He had become somewhat of a ladies' man, hanging out with Rompin' Ronnie Hawkins and Ian Tyson. He also met Cathy Smith, a beautiful, but wanton, young lady. This on-and-off relationship would last for many years and be the inspiration for many of his later songs. Brita left him, taking their two children Fred and Ingrid. She moved them to France. This action led to a court case where Brita was awarded their home, a sum of money and support.

He hated songwriting, but his strict upbringing gave him the discipline to write when he had a recording session in the near future. He often used bennies to assist in the process as well as Canadian Club Whisky and caffeine. Choosing a location with nothing but a coffeemaker, a music stand or recording device and a chair, he would write for 36 hours straight and then crash. His on-and-off relationship with Ms. Smith was the inspiration for many of his songs, including "Sundown." He also had relationships with many other women, some he married, some he did not. He has six children by four different women. As he told me recently on the street, "I've got a lot of family to take care of."

Lightfoot recorded a number of successful albums, particularly Sundown, which led to him having the #1 position on the Billboard Hot 100 singles and retail album charts.

Many years ago, he agreed with his band to limit performing to about 70 nights a year. He kept this up for decades until he collapsed on stage at the Orillia Opera House. He was airlifted to a hospital in Hamilton where he remained in an induced coma for many days. He survived, got back into physical shape, and renewed his touring schedule. He continues to do so until today, with four nights at Massey Hall coming up in November. He gave up alcohol decades ago and goes to the gym almost every day when he is home in Toronto. I suspect he will continue this until he dies onstage.

The only missing chapter would be about those who perhaps took advantage of him...Grossman, Artie Mogull, (lawyer) Al Stewart and others. Perhaps he just chose not to go there.

Nicholas Jennings' 'Lightfoot' (Penguin Random House, 336pages) is on general release next Tuesday, Sept. 26. Copies can be purchased online here.

Alexander Mair worked with Lightfoot promoting all his UA recordings as Vice President of the Compo Company, now Universal Music Canada, from 1964 to 1968. At Lightfoot's request, he left Compo to set up Early Morning Productions Limited, an umbrella company for all Lightfoot's activities, including setting up and running his publishing companies. This relationship lasted from 1968 to 1976. In 1974, Mair launched Attic Records with Warner promo wiz Tom Williams. Lightfoot was not involved in Attic.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #23
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

I have just visited Dymocks Books and ordered the hardback version via the USA for Aust$65. (Apparently there is no paperback version available for importing to Australia in the next 6 months at least.) It will take around 5 days to arrive and when it does, I'll be claiming it as the world's furthest-travelled copy of the book.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2017, 02:16 PM   #24
imported_Next_Saturday

Default Nicholas Jennings and Lightfoot

https://www.facebook.com/nicholasjennings

From Nic Jennings Facebook :

"Today is the day. Many years in the works. Months of digging in newspaper and magazine archives. Countless hours interviewing, even more transcribing. Endless scanning of photographs and documents. And then the writing and rewriting, trying to make sense of the material and shape it into a readable story that hopefully does justice to a complicated man, his extraordinary life and rich body of work. It's been daunting, but I'm thrilled that my biography of Gordon Lightfoot is now out in the world, available wherever good books are sold as they say. Ultimately, I'm proud to be associated with a great artist whose music I've known and loved since childhood."

Last edited by imported_Next_Saturday; 09-26-2017 at 02:19 PM.
imported_Next_Saturday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:12 AM   #25
imported_Next_Saturday

Default Re: Nicholas Jennings and Lightfoot

Interview with Nicholas Jennings: