banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-11-2000, 06:30 PM   #1
Russ Nelson

I want to know aobut the song "Miguel", released on the album "Summer Side of Life" in 1971, which to me is one of the sweetest - and saddest - songs Gord ever wrote. Is the song's title character an illegal alien? If so, why had he crossed the border "a hundred times or more"? Aliens normally cross the border only once. In the second verse, what did he "vow to make right"? What did the young maid mean by "what I know too well"? What exactly is the song meant to be about?

The part about Miguel "swimming the river" to "see his true love" recalls the legend of Hero and Leander.
Russ Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2000, 06:30 PM   #2
Joshua

I want to know aobut the song "Miguel", released on the album "Summer Side of Life" in 1971, which to me is one of the sweetest - and saddest - songs Gord ever wrote. Is the song's title character an illegal alien? If so, why had he crossed the border "a hundred times or more"? Aliens normally cross the border only once. In the second verse, what did he "vow to make right"? What did the young maid mean by "what I know too well"? What exactly is the song meant to be about?

The part about Miguel "swimming the river" to "see his true love" recalls the legend of Hero and Leander.
Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2000, 06:48 PM   #3
Wingdrops

It's a song about nobility and love triumphing over economic and political systems that would otherwise destroy dignity.

There are intimations that Miguel is a revolutionary, or at least a Mexican Robin Hood, who ignores the restrictions and limitations of society (including unjust distribution of societal resources) to provide for his loved ones. He has crossed the border "to see his true love's shining face" because he lives in Mexico and she lives in Texas. He sees to his duty in Mexico and visits his lover in Texas, even though it puts him a considerable risk.

His vow to make things right is his promise as a young child to his mother that she will not continue to live in abject poverty (which she suffered in silence without complaint "of my poverty, I will never tell"). He kept his promise even though he had to steal to provide for her, leading to his tragic capture and execution.

"What I know too well" is not clear, but at its heart is the sense that she realizes the strength of his love for her and how that puts him at risk, and how she cannot publicly declare that love because it would only put him at greater risk.

Anyway, that's how I read it. Anyone else?

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS

[This message has been edited by 2Much2Lose (edited November 17, 2000).]
Wingdrops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2000, 06:48 PM   #4
2Much2Lose

It's a song about nobility and love triumphing over economic and political systems that would otherwise destroy dignity.

There are intimations that Miguel is a revolutionary, or at least a Mexican Robin Hood, who ignores the restrictions and limitations of society (including unjust distribution of societal resources) to provide for his loved ones. He has crossed the border "to see his true love's shining face" because he lives in Mexico and she lives in Texas. He sees to his duty in Mexico and visits his lover in Texas, even though it puts him a considerable risk.

His vow to make things right is his promise as a young child to his mother that she will not continue to live in abject poverty (which she suffered in silence without complaint "of my poverty, I will never tell"). He kept his promise even though he had to steal to provide for her, leading to his tragic capture and execution.

"What I know too well" is not clear, but at its heart is the sense that she realizes the strength of his love for her and how that puts him at risk, and how she cannot publicly declare that love because it would only put him at greater risk.

Anyway, that's how I read it. Anyone else?

------------------
"And the laughter came too easy for life to pass me by." - SDYS

[This message has been edited by 2Much2Lose (edited November 17, 2000).]
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote