banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2004, 10:34 PM   #1
Harmony

Before I got the Dream Street Rose album, I never thought it would be any good because everyone on here said it wasn't all that great, and the song titles and the album cover didn't look that great, but I got it anyway just to add to my Gord collection, and I must say twas a heck of a lot better than I ever thought it would be! has this ever happend to you?
Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 12:25 AM   #2
Sheryl Klein

Dream Street Rose just happened to be the first one I bought and I LOVED it. I listened to it over and over and over. Just fantastic! I used to totally judge "albums by their covers." Now I don't.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:35 AM   #3
Gord

DSR is by far GL's best studio recording in my opinion, I'm not sure who on here would disagree with that. I just wish he would play more tracks off that LP in concert.

If memory serves me correct it was issued in the winter of 1980... I played that LP til my parents were sick of it .

Even to this day I play that LP even in the heat of summer and it makes me think of winter for some odd reason.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:04 AM   #4
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Harmony,

DSR is a wonderful album, I can't remember anyone here giving it a real bad review ?? Glad you like it.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 10:19 AM   #5
djb

My biggest underestimation would be East Of Midnight. I bought it shortly after its release, and after a couple of listens I was thoroughly disappointed with the David Foster production. Now don't get me wrong, I have a lot of respect for the talents of DF, but I didn't think his style worked with Gord. I really felt the album sounded more like it was trying to "fit" into the adult contemporary genre, instead of Gord just doing his thing and being natural. This bugged me enough to just stick with Gord's previous work, and after a seven year hiatus from the studio, I didn't even bother with Waiting For You.

I "rediscovered" EOM a couple of years ago, and while it is still not one of my faves, I do have a new appreciation for it. I am also thankful to a GL newsgroup member (who I've seen on another list or two) for scooping me a copy of Waiting For You from a used CD store.
Old 12-18-2004, 10:20 AM   #6
TheWatchman

I like DSR a lot. The only thing that I wish would have been better, and I've mentioned this before, is the mixing that was done in the studio. His vocals at many times are overpowered by the other instruments. I know that one of my favorite songs, "If You Need Me" would sound a whole lot better if his voice was more prominent.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 01:10 PM   #7
djb

"If You Need Me" is one of the best on the album, but I agree about the poor mixing. This was also an era when Gord was really mumbling his words. It wasn't until Salute that he cleaned up some bad habits, and one of the results was a much clearer and stronger voice. DSR was underrated by the masses and the media, but I think it's a great album.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:47 PM   #8
Ducaire

quote:Originally posted by djb:
"If You Need Me" is one of the best on the album, but I agree about the poor mixing. This was also an era when Gord was really mumbling his words. It wasn't until Salute that he cleaned up some bad habits, and one of the results was a much clearer and stronger voice. DSR was underrated by the masses and the media, but I think it's a great album.

His voice was easier to hear in Salute. But I noticed in Waiting For You, his voice is kind of hard to hear as well.
Old 12-23-2004, 10:52 AM   #9
bjb

Gord being the perfectionist that he is, I often think that the songs must have been recorded and mixed exactly the way he wanted to get them across. That gives me an interesting perspective, for instance on Couchiching
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 11:35 AM   #10
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

quote:Originally posted by bjb:
Gord being the perfectionist that he is, I often think that the songs must have been recorded and mixed exactly the way he wanted to get them across. That gives me an interesting perspective, for instance on Couchiching

BINGO !

Bill

BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2004, 05:37 PM   #11
Borderstone

Okay,I was trying to keep my mind focused on the holidays but I just had to check in and lo and behold,I must comment!

Let me put it this way,not only did I used to judge LP's by their covers...I also thought if an album yielded no top 40 hits it must really be bad! (Although,in a few cases I was right.)

In terms of Gordon's records,I misjudged (without ever having heard them),"Summer Side Of Life","Don Quixote","Old Dan's Records","Cold On The Shoulder","Endless Wire",and all of his '80s! I didn't find the 60s until much later in Songbook.

All the above fall under the "no hits,no way" it can be good category. Well,after buying Songbook and then seeing his live show,I just had to get it all! I'm happily humbled at the fact I was proven wrong.

They all have their good and different qualities. Been me,later!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote