banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #26
RM

Default Re: Video for Terry

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
what is that first piece in the musical montage?
That one had me wondering too. My guess is
"A Tree Too Weak To Stand"

Only Bill knows for sure.........
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #27
formerlylavender

Agreed, RM, it's a Tree Too Weak to Stand. I love that intro, and it's perfect for the beginning of the montage, IMO.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 11:23 AM   #28
jj

thanks you guys...you're right, perfect intro...brain cramp, i suppose...sure haven't heard that in some time and definitely don't recall the instrumental being so lengthy (i wish there were more arrangements like that) ...and i suppose that i was so caught up in Bill's fine revealing of emotional images and into listening to TC's tasty instrumental 'counter' melody, that the root vocal melody never came to mind...but no excuses...char, please revoke my Senior member status
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:09 PM   #29
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by byKimberly View Post
When Spanish Moss started playing is when tears came to my eyes. Nice tribute.
Kimberly
hey Kim...your post inspired me to get out the SNL Lightfoot and soak up the Spanish Moss performance for the umpteenth time...so much wonderful footage of a mid-70s Terry there...come to think of it, i don't know if there is any finer 'motion picture' footage of him...thoughts?

that song also moved me when Gord broke into it to launch his Hamilton benefit 'comeback' concert...i remember asking Gord what had inspired him to choose that one to kick off the night...he provided me with an irrelevant response, in true Gord fashion, lol

Last edited by jj; 02-26-2011 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:23 PM   #30
Margaret A

Thank you so much for this beautiful tribute. I am a longtime lurker on this site, and this is my first post. I've listened to Lightfoot's music for as long as I can remember, but Terry Clement's guitar on Carefree Highway is what got me hooked. Sundown was the first album I bought. (Now I think I have everything in one version or another!) Whenever I hear the guitar on Carefree Highway, I wish it would go on forever.

Thank you for the bitterweet compilation.
Margaret A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 01:48 PM   #31
niffer

This was beautiful and heartbreaking, and extremely well done. Like Terry himself, I wish it had gone on longer...
niffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 01:56 AM   #32
bjb

It's beautiful. Thank you!
bjb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 07:29 AM   #33
PeterB

Bill - you are a clever man. Mind you, that is coming from a dinosaur! Thank you for the time and trouble you have gone to for all of us. A note to Dave from Box Hill North Melbourne Australia: I couldn't open you email but I am close by in Surrey Hills; 0438326620 if you ever want to talk Lightfoot Australian style.
PeterB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 10:02 AM   #34
joveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
Bill - you are a clever man. Mind you, that is coming from a dinosaur! Thank you for the time and trouble you have gone to for all of us. A note to Dave from Box Hill North Melbourne Australia: I couldn't open you email but I am close by in Surrey Hills; 0438326620 if you ever want to talk Lightfoot Australian style.
a 3rd Melbournian here!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 03:08 PM   #35
T.G.

A fine video tribute, thank you for that. A vivid reminder of what the music world has lost. But thankfully, it lives on in the recordings.
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:17 PM   #36
redhead

Thank you.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #37
Melissa

An absolutely beautiful tribute. Thank you for putting this together, and giving it to us. You've done a wonderful job of putting together so many memorable pieces of music from Terry's talented hands. Through his music, Terry will live on in our hearts.
Thank you so much.

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:15 PM   #38
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

That is a superb compilation William David Noel!!

I had toyed with the idea of something similar myself using as the soundtrack repeated playing of the great 1983 solo by Terry on Minstrel Of The Dawn that I had highlit on another thread.
But I have yet to master the art of using multiple images in such a video and can only do it a single image as I did on my youtube video of the unique If I Could Read My Mind
I would therefore request that either Bill or that other manipulative genius Jimmy Jones the Younger should concoct at least the bare bones outline of how they go about this and include details of of any relevant freeware they can recommend, then if I can succeed myself I could gladly adapt it to my own tutorial format and publish it naturally with suitable credit being paid to you.
Meanwhile I was most pleased to find that as I already had an account at vimeo I could after logging in access and use a very neat facility to download the mp4 video
Please note Mr Meason that I wish to thank your son for pointing me in the direction of the wonderful free file storage website he used for those great Wolfgang's Vault 1968 Filmore West streaming concert mp3s see this thread from 2007:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=17776&highlight=wolfgang%27s+vaul t

that http://fileden.com/ fileden site is something else
A huge free space of 1 Gigabyte; a most generous 100MB maximum file upload size hotlinking allowed all screenshots in this posting are on Fileden) and as the evidence of those mp3s proves long tern storage

This is the download facility (not visible until one has logged in)

which on my high speed connection took about 15 minutes for the 70.2MB file. What I hear you mutter you are still on a dial up?? my deepest sympathies!!
Here is the downloading starting:-

and at 28%

The hardest part of this procedure was in fact finding out where the downloaded file had been stored as unlike the usual file download procedure there was no "save as/save in" dialog box only the information as shown in the screenshots that it was going to a "temporary folder"
but I was not to be beaten by that little glitch because long experience locating youtube videos ready for replay enabled me to use this Internet Explorer procedure:-
I.E. window>tools menu>internet options>browsing history>settings>view files> look for a suitably large file and copy it to a permanent folder (in my case a new desktop folder I had already opened and perspicaciously named "Terry")

which I then suitably renamed

I am now able to play the video on demand on my Wintel computer or if I wish burn to a DVD as I have the mp4 video codec for Windows Media Player installed and I can make screenshots from the video including this fantabulous study of the band admiring Terry's fingerwork (that I do not recall seeing before) that Bill had included in his superb video showing Terry's hairstyle somewhere between his original long flowing mane and his latter day folically challenged appearance:
ditto the fine drumming type person perched at the back

Last edited by johnfowles; 02-28-2011 at 04:28 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #39
jj

John I use FCP

iMovie will do lots of regal or zoom or panning animation of images

Not free but included with any Mac plus other simple toys

There are version of Avid or Premiere or Pinnacle or Final Cut that have limited feature with corresponding price

I don't think you can do much in Moviemaker

Tom or Sharron do nice work and may have tips

I was doing a montage of live Terry footage

I bet if Bill used live audio bites instead of studio recordings then it would be allowed on YouTube. ,,,am glad the vim vid and Terry threads are getting so many views

Fans across the www have outdone the mainstream media in spreading the word

Btw John you might want to use the keywords Rostrum or Ken Burns technique when searching for free video editing tools,,,it can be powerful when transitions are blended with audio strategically...and like songwriting some of the most magical moments are created by accident...looking forward to what you come up with
Old 03-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #40
christine75

Beautiful tribute. I loved it.
christine75 is offline   Reply With Quote