banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2004, 07:30 AM   #1
Gord

Hey Valerie did you take down your website??? Just clicked on it and it said " This site has been withdrawn"
Old 05-09-2004, 10:01 AM   #2
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

quote:Originally posted by Gord:
Hey Valerie did you take down your website??? Just clicked on it and it said " This site has been withdrawn"

Yes, I took it down. The last year and a half has involved too much disappointment; I am too busy right now with paying web sites to maintain a site for people who don't appear to appreciate it. Additional note: I am not talking about fans. I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear originally.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my business site at adamapps.biz and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com

[This message has been edited by vlmagee (edited May 09, 2004).]
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 10:21 AM   #3
brink

But Val I do appreciate it, I have used the songs and albums part constantly. I still sometimes get baffled by the initials that someone uses and go to your site to find out what song it was or if I can't make out some of Gord's mumblings I check the lyrics. I just there the other day for CYC, canary yellow canoe. Brain failures! If there is an article about Gord that I want to re-read there it is easily accessable. I know your busy with all the other ones. How sad for us though.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 10:48 AM   #4
TheWatchman

quote:Originally posted by vlmagee:
Yes, I took it down. The last year and a half has involved too much disappointment; I am too busy right now with paying web sites to maintain a site for people who don't appear to appreciate it.

I thought it was a "fan site". I figured a fan site was for fans.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:12 AM   #5
Auburn Annie

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
I thought it was a "fan site". I figured a fan site was for fans.

It is/was but they don't run themselves and Val does have a life beyond Gord. If you search "Gordon Lightfoot" via Google, the site is still cached there (click on "Cache")

Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 11:38 AM   #6
TheWatchman

quote:Originally posted by Auburn Annie:
It is/was but they don't run themselves and Val does have a life beyond Gord. If you search "Gordon Lightfoot" via Google, the site is still cached there (click on "Cache")

Yes of course Annie. Thanks for informing me that websites don't run themselves, I did not know that. ["The last year and a half has involved too much disappointment; I am too busy right now with paying web sites to maintain a site for people who don't appear to appreciate it." It says on the homepage "This fan site has been withdrawn".

I don't think the disappoinment came from fans which must leave the source of disappointment with someone connected with Lightfoot. If it's a fan site, why would it matter if others' don't appreciate it as long as the fans do?

Old 05-09-2004, 11:41 AM   #7
TheWatchman

All the pages are still there. Just the homepage has been changed. http://www.gordonlightfoot.com/Gordo...iography.shtml All the links are still good and site has not been deleted. I betcha it will be worked out soon.
Old 05-09-2004, 12:57 PM   #8
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

I am not talking about fans. I'm sorry that I didn't make that clear originally.

I know you guys and gals appreciate the site; most if not all of you have said very kind things to me about it, and I very much appreciate that. You are all not only "fans", but more important, you are friends too.

------------------
Valerie Magee

Visit my business site at adamapps.biz and Cathy Cowette's web site at cathycowette.com
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 04:21 PM   #9
SomewhereupinMichigan

Valerie:

Very saddened to see your site offline, particularly at this time when there is renewed interest in Gord and his music. I hope one day you will be reposting it.

Thanks for all the great Gord coverage you've given us!

SUIM
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 08:33 PM   #10
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Val,

I thought it was a lovely site, best wishes.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:01 PM   #11
searam

I, too, am sorry your wonderful site is down. I just signed up for membership! Oh, well, life goes on and I wish you the best. It was a reallt great site!!!
Sean
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:13 PM   #12
searam

Oh, no! Now I am mispelling!!!
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 07:17 AM   #13
Realist

*** deleted ***

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited May 10, 2004).]
Old 05-10-2004, 07:30 AM   #14
TheWatchman

It's a shame the site is down beacause if someone wants to know more about Lightfoot, what CD's are available etc., the first place they go to is gordonlightfoot.com. I've said it before and I will again, for the past few years I saw Gordon many times in concert because of her site. Otherwise I would have had no way of ever knowing when and where he was playing. It's a lot of work to track down Lightfoot's touring schedule and it was all too easy just to go to Val's site. Too bad and I hope things work out and it get's put back up.

Realist must have been an A+ student in English. stupoid? assclown?
Old 05-10-2004, 07:31 AM   #15
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

quote:Originally posted by Realist:
Give it up .
That sir was quite uncalled for it is not only disgusting but is irrelevant and ill-informed
troll somewhere else you non-fan nobody

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 08:36 AM   #16
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Realist is a prime example of why posting should be restricted to registered members who have provided a valid email address. Then we wouldn't be subjected to trash like that.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 08:49 AM   #17
TheWatchman

Exactly Bill. I suggested this months ago but was accused of being a forum nazi or whatever it was.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:54 AM   #18
Gord

I still have my website up and running... given this latest news it will probably undergo some changes soon. I have a job so I can't devote time to it 24/7 but I will attempt to do my best.
Old 05-10-2004, 08:59 AM   #19
EMP

*** deleted ***

[This message has been edited by Florian (edited May 10, 2004).]
Old 05-10-2004, 09:05 AM   #20
Jenney

For those of you that read both Corfid and the newsgroup, someone named "The Watchman" posted something nasty on the newsgroup.

It was obvious to me even before looking at the ISP that it wasn't "our" Watchman. This person is in Toronto, and is hiding his identity. The original troll message, the Mai Tai, and The Watchman were all posted from Bell Sympatico in Toronto.

Our Watchman does not seem the cowardly type, and is able to take the heat if he dishes something out. I didn't want Watchman to take the blame for this, as I enjoy his posts.

I encourage everyone to not feed the trolls. Obviously this person is just trying to get attention.

Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 11:34 AM   #21
Florian

Valerie, your website was the most up to date one and I am sure many many fans appreciated it. Thanks for the work you did for us fans over all those years and maybe there's a glimpse of hope you'll reconsider and put it back online

@TheWatchman & BILLW:
We could change the forum in a way that only registered users can post and that during the registration process the validity of the email is checked. However, this will also result in a more restricted access to the forum and would not automatically prevent entry for persons with malicious intents ("flamers", "trolls" etc) as they could simply start a free email adress with yahoo.com or hotmail.com and still get access to the forum, while making access for everyone else harder too. Therefore, unless we get flooded by stupid and unsuited postings, I'd like to keep access as easy as possible.

Charlene is doing a wonderful job at looking after our community and is very swift at catching inappropriate content.

Last but not least, should you have any concerns or suggestions about the forum or the website, please send me an email at: webmaster@corfid.com
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 12:21 PM   #22
TheWatchman

I can assure everybody that such ignorant remarks were not from me. It's really not my style to use cuss words and personally attack someone like that anyway. From what little I know of Val, she seems like the type of person to laugh off such asinine remarks anyway. Words can hurt but we must consider the source. How can I say this...? I may have to use a cuss word but there is no other way. Realist and those like him/her are assholes. The only thing that comes out of assholes is shit. So there you have it, it's now put in proper perspective.

I have always appreciated Val's site and the work she has done to keep it updated and have even sent her emails in the past telling her so.

I have a feeling that with the new CD now out, there will be plenty to talk about for quite a long time and losers like Realist will go by the way of the prehistoric Doe-Doe-Bird.
Old 05-10-2004, 01:00 PM   #23
j

quote:Originally posted by Florian:
Valerie, your website was the most up to date one and I am sure many many fans appreciated it. Thanks for the work you did for us fans over all those years and maybe there's a glimpse of hope you'll reconsider and put it back online
And so say all of us!!!

@TheWatchman & BILLW:
We could change the forum in a way that only registered users can post and that during the registration process the validity of the email is checked. However, this will also result in a more restricted access to the forum and would not automatically prevent entry for persons with malicious intents ("flamers", "trolls" etc) as they could simply start a free email adress with yahoo.com or hotmail.com and still get access to the forum, while making access for everyone else harder too. Therefore, unless we get flooded by stupid and unsuited postings, I'd like to keep access as easy as possible.
how does having to be registerd make access harder sorry Florian I just don't get that. There are far to many irregulars posting here IMHO and it would be useful if the procedure for membership made it mandatory to provide a genuine e-mail addy with an e-mailed confirmation response to be actioned before posting
The e-mail addy has to be verified . There are far too many trolls on the Newsgroup who registered (with Google groups possibly)using fictitious addys

harlene is doing a wonderful job at looking after our community and is very swift at catching inappropriate content.
Quite so and If only she could learn how to post pictures she would be perfection personified!!

Last but not least, should you have any concerns or suggestions about the forum or the website, please send me an email at: webmaster@corfid.com

[I]Wasn't it nice to see the name Florian s(spelt correctly) appear in a topic not once but three times.Welcome back "boss"
And such quick action to delete those quite nauseating posts from the trolls. If only it were that easy on the Newsgroup!
and I think we can all forgive The genuine Watchman's language this one time

Old 05-10-2004, 01:04 PM   #24
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by j:

Last but not least, should you have any concerns or suggestions about the forum or the website, please send me an email at: webmaster@corfid.com [/b]
[I]Wasn't it nice to see the name Florian s(spelt correctly) appear in a topic not once but three times.Welcome back "boss"
And such quick action to delete those quite nauseating posts from the trolls. If only it were that easy on the Newsgroup!
and I think we can all forgive The genuine Watchman's language this one time
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes, it was indeed! Welcome, Bossman!
don't be such a stranger, friend.
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 01:05 PM   #25
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

So unregisterd "j" how dare you spout off that way
actually it was me but my stupid corfid cookie has "j" down as an option and I failed to notice that I had omitted to select my correct member name!!

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote