banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #1
Gerry K

Default Lightfoot Tribute Show

I'm a long fan of Gordon's music and have been playing his songs for 35 years. I do a few shows a year (with and without a back-up band) and have recorded twop private CDs featuring, among others, Lightfoot tunes. I'd love to play at the next Hugh's Room Lightfoot Tribute Show. How do I go about this and who do I contact? Can anyone out there assist me? thanks.
Gerry K
Gerry K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
JohnStinson

Default Re: Lightfoot Tribute Show

I love to hear other version of GL tunes. Any chance you have any up on the net anywhere??

I pluck away at it too ...http://www.youtube.com/002002jes

Perhaps others will chime in on this but there's a number of very good performers who have jammed for a number of years prior to Massey Hall shows. Great to have you come down. I only just met them and participated briefly in May 2008..lots of fun.

As far as Hugh's Room show.. I think Jory Nash is one of the organizers.

john
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
charlene

Jory has told me that the booking folks at Hugh's prefer the artists performing the Lightfoot Celebration shows be noted professionals in their own right and have their own fan base as a draw to fill the seats at the venue.
If the shows were open to all the folks who love Lightfoot music/perform once in a while/record cd's etc, but are not pros, they'd have enough talent onstage 24/7/365 year after year for sure but Hugh's Room needs 'names' to fill the seats and pay the bills.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
jj

would like to hear your stuff, Gerry K....go over to the Covers section and create a thread for yourself

Jory Nash's (.com) website will have full Contact info

as char said, the great thing for many of the artists is that they can further promote themselves by doing a few 'self-styled' arrangements of Gord tunes and have their portfolio of CD's available to the Hugh's Room crowd...most have between 4 and 10 CDs out there...I believe the founder of www.lightfoot.ca and the newgroup, Wayne Francis now has 3 CDs out ...I'd like to hear him play at Hugh's one day, however his is more of a songwriter than a performer

true, John...those jams, Lightfoot themed nights have been going on as long as Gord's been playing Massey (the 60's, lol)...i remember those open mic nights as a teenager where there would be pub theme nights and it seemed that the house band would be hard to stump when it came to 'Gord theme' night (tribute, celebration, etc)...I've heard it said, a good rule of thumb for a performer is that 'if you're not sure what to play next, play a Lightfoot song'

good luck, Gerry!
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:04 PM   #5
Gerry K

John, Your rendition of IYCRMM is great. Send me an address where I can send you my CD. I 'd love to jam in Toronto before the Massey Hall concerts. Let me know how to go about this.
Gerry K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #6
charlene

Gerry - check your PM messages.
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote