banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-27-2007, 06:45 PM   #1
podunklander

Default USPS Gordon Lightfoot Stamp?

I was at the Post Office today and saw a software package/kit ($19.99) for designing postage stamps using photos and artwork. The company is stamps.com
http://photo.stamps.com/Store/?source=si00001331

Looks like these photostamps have been around for a little while...but this is the 1st I've heard of it. Could it be? Could we make our own Gordon Lightfoot stamps????
Old 10-27-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Dream Street Rose

Default Re: USPS Gordon Lightfoot Stamp?

I believe the answer is no. You need permission to use his picture because he is a celebrity. I think he or his company own any likeness. I have made a few Gordon buttons and had to get an okay to stay "legal" to give a few away and wear them myself.

DSR
Old 10-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #3
closetcanadian

Dream Street Rose is absolutely correct. Images of celebrities are protected by copywright law. If you visit www.photostamps.com you will see they have a lengthy list of Content Restrictions which specifies what types of images are permitted on custom stamps.
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:57 PM   #4
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by closetcanadian View Post
Dream Street Rose is absolutely correct. Images of celebrities are protected by copywright law. If you visit www.photostamps.com you will see they have a lengthy list of Content Restrictions which specifies what types of images are permitted on custom stamps.
Oh -I see their terms and conditions. This is evidently in place to protect themselves from copyright infringement....since they are the one's who are making a profit from this. This also assures that stamps wouldn't be resold, etc. Makes sense.

Images of celebrities aren't automatically protected by copyright law however. There are many ways images can be owned and used by what is referred to as "fair use". The buttons DSR refers to...I can understand if permission was needed because they were being distributed -even if they weren't being sold, there's the potential or intent that they may or will. And she doesn't say if the image used was an existing, published depiction or say, that of a photo that she took.