banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 02-27-2008, 05:31 PM   #1
spocksbrain

Default Five piece band v Three piece band

I have heard some modern shows and some vintage ones with just the three piece format. I am also used to the synth and drums being there. I am curious as to which some of us prefer. I like both just about equally. The songs have a different personality when performed in the three piece format. Especially in the 1960's, Gordon played with much more urgency. Red's fills were brilliant.

When he plays in the three piece format these days, it sounds a great deal more laid back. Gord strums his guitar with generally half the licks than he used in the 60's and with the exception of Don Quixote, Terry's leads seem to be exactly the same as with the five piece band (not a criticism, just an observation- I think Terry's understated way of playing has become one of the key pleasures of hearing a Lightfoot show).
Old 02-27-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
RM

Default Re: Five piece band v Three piece band

Well, if someone put a gun to my head and demanded that I pick one or the other, I'd go with the 3 piece sound. I'd also ask if Lightfoot performing solo was an option. The 3 piece sound was the one I first heard in concert, and has sentimental value.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:16 PM   #3
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I love all the combinations but I prefer the current 5 piece line-up, lucky me eh ?

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
Jesse Joe

Same as Ron with me, I like everything Lightfoot does with his music. But I do prefer the early years. The 5 United Artist LP's are what made me worship him since 1969. Gord switching from 6 to 12 string acoustic, Red or Terry with the 6 string acoustics, and Rick or John on Bass. Now that's folk music to my ears.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:25 AM   #5
joveski

i like them both, but i'll choose the 3 piece line-up
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 02:54 PM   #6
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Of course the original 3 piece line up an the first 5 UA albums was often augmented by an orchestra, but the way that Mike nowadays fills in for the missing stringed instruments etc is quite remarkable especially his jazzy accompaniment on "Old Dan's Records", the strings on "IYCRMM" and the ethereal opening to "Restless". I also very much enjoy watching the facial expressions and ocasional singalongs by Barry
and his timpani effects add colour to many live performances. including last week the use for three concerts of his home made shaker filled with gravel from Asheville SC, for "My Little Love" (on the fourth concert we saw he used a standard issue shaker "because Gord changed his mind"!!)
But yes overall the simpler arrangements in the early days pleases me more as evidenced on the recording of the 1987 Folkfest radio broadcast. (from which the simplified (3 piece) "East Of Midnight" has to be heard to be believed
Of course solo performances are rare,those of us priveleged to hear "I'll Tag along" solo at Tampa will not forget that for a very long time.Perhaps Gord could be persuaded to do the first song after the interval at each concert as a solo.
Starting of course with "Sit Down Young Stranger"

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 02-28-2008 at 02:56 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 03:19 PM   #7
charlene

[QUOTE=johnfowles;135100Perhaps Gord could be persuaded to do the first song after the interval at each concert as a solo.
Starting of course with "Sit Down Young Stranger"[/QUOTE]

Only after he does "I'll Tag Along" once when I'm actually in the building..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote