banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > Small Talk

Old 12-31-2019, 05:19 AM   #1
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Default Photos from daughter's visit to "Massey Hall"

My daughter just had a 5-week holiday in the USA and Canada, including Toronto. Before she left Australia, she asked what I would like her to bring home for me. I said a photo of Massey Hall. She went there on Dec12, but couldn't find the under-refurbishment concert hall (apparently nearby apartment dwellers didn't know either!) and two photos of the Massey Tower Residences (197 Yonge St) were all she brought home.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 10:19 AM   #2
formerlylavender

Default Re: Photos from daughter's visit to "Massey Hall"

Hi Dave, we were there in July and we did find it and at least walked around the building. You couldn't see it because it was covered with scaffolding, but they had some posters/signs up detailing the project.

I hope your daughter had a fun trip. Happy New Year!
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 08:20 PM   #3

And a happy new year to you, FL. South-eastern Australia is already 11 hours into 2020 and 1 month into summer. Raging bushfires in New South Wales, South Australia and my state Victoria have killed people, destroyed properties and stranded tens of thousands of holidaymakers on the coast. Melbourne has already had three blustery days above 40degC (104degF).

Thanks for explaining why my daughter couldn't find what she was looking for at the Massey Hall site. A pity she wasn't visiting Orillia, because the Lightfoot Auditorium at its Opera House would have been easier to find and photograph. She did have a fun trip and her favourite place was Banff.
Old 01-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #4
formerlylavender

We didn't go to Orillia either - if we had another day that would have been the trip. We did go by the Beaumont house which was just beautiful and saw Gord's star on the walk of fame. I photographed a coffee house about a block away that was called "Second Cup Coffee Co.

I'm glad your daughter had fun - wow what a trip.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 09:56 PM   #5
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave, Melbourne,Australia View Post
My daughter just had a 5-week holiday in the USA and Canada, including Toronto. Before she left Australia, she asked what I would like her to bring home for me. I said a photo of Massey Hall. She went there on Dec12, but couldn't find the under-refurbishment concert hall (apparently nearby apartment dwellers didn't know either!) and two photos of the Massey Tower Residences (197 Yonge St) were all she brought home.
Massey Hall is half a block north of The Massey Towers condo development..At the lights at the intersection had she looked to her right she'd see it covered in scaffolding and netting...
on the map where it says ELGIN there is a grey area - that is the Massey Towers location.. and right above it you will see Massey Hall location.. she was SO close...GOOGLE would lhave helped her.lol..

massey map by char Westbrook, on Flickr
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 05:04 AM   #6

Thanks, Char. She said she walked around "several blocks" and got too cold to keep looking. Can't blame her for giving it less priority than I would have.
Old 01-13-2020, 11:21 AM   #7
Martyn Miles

That brings back memories.
I was in Toronto in 2008 and took lots of pictures, including
the Massey Hall.
I’ve searched and searched, but can’t find them...
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote