banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-27-2010, 02:15 PM   #1
Gitchigumee

Default Why Do We Keep Going Back?

I thought it might be fun to hear from everyone as to the reasons why we continue to attend Lightfoot concerts year in and year out.

The primary reason I attend his concerts is not necessarily to "be entertained." I attend out of love, devotion, admiration, and respect for the man. For me, it's really quite simple. Gord's songs, and yes, his voice (past and present), are in my heart. Attending his concerts is a way for he and I to "spend time together." It's a bit like a marriage, you know, for better and worse.... And I will always be a faithful and devoted fan. The melodies, the lyrics, and the man, they are the reasons I will keep going back, because as we all know, time marches on, and forever is a long time to regret missing a chance to "spend time together" with someone you love.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Why Do We Keep Going Back?

Spending time in a concert hall with a long time beloved person in your life is sometimes the only way to let that person know your feelings. Halls, theatres and rinks full of fans express it every time he steps onstage. No regrets for those of us still spending time with The Man..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 05:43 PM   #3
TC

Well I hope this doesn't sound corny or dumb but since I first laid ears on that Sundown album (1974), Gord's music has been the soundtrack of my life. I often wonder what GL song my kids will pick to play at my funeral...hopefully that's a ways off.

While my kids were growing up there was always some Lightfoot music in the background. So, there's those memories.

When times were a bit rough GL music was there as well.

So I guess going to see Gord these days (for me) is my way to show my respect and to let him know that what he has accomplished is very meaningful and important.

TC
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
bjm7777

Defies explanation, really. And I keep going back to the cd's, too...
Old 04-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #5
Yuri

To say thanks to a legend who's musical gifts have made me smile a bit wider during good times, gifts that have lifted my spirits in the very worst of times, and made the transition between the two a little easier. Gord's music was always around, even when friends were not...
Bugs! - http://thunderhouse4-yuri.blogspot.com/
Yuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
Unsettled 1

This is a fine topic, and I agree with all. I have compared his music to others since I was 18, and most if not all have fallen short.
When he can no longer perform I do not want to lament not having heard his last concert that I could have attended.
His music has been with me throughout my life, and I'll be humming it when I go...
Unsettled 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
sunshine

This is one of the most beautiful threads ever. All the sentiments resonate as heartfelt and honest and capture my feelings as well. I could express my thoughts but not as well as those who have already written. I think this is why some of us react so emotionally to the comments on how Gordon's voice isn't what it once was because those commentators seem to miss the whole point of the Gordon experience. And the big picture has never been more eloquently stated than by Gitchigumee, TC, Yuri and Unsettled 1.
________
Honda NQ50

Last edited by sunshine; 01-26-2011 at 12:47 AM.
sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
Moose

The day they announced the March 8th show in Montreal, I bought tickets. I've seen him a few times since the first time in '69 and never been disappointed. I guess I keep going back because the older I get, the more I appreciate the value of spending time with friends and doing the things I really enjoy. The Man seems to have written the sound track to my life, he feels like a friend I never met. Watching him on stage this most recent time was almost life affirming - yeah, we're older and life has kicked us around a bit but we're still going strong.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 06:35 PM   #9
DellroyGM

I'm going back! I"m going back!
haven't posted for a while. My wonderful wife bought me an early birthday present...tickets to the June 19 Gord concert in Akron, Ohio!! WOO-HOO!

I last saw him in Cleveland, at the Front Row Theatre...that was a number of years ago. before that, saw him at the palace Theatre in Columbus. Always enjoyed his shows.

Even got good seats...orchestra #2, 14 rows back. Oughta be good!
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2010, 09:33 PM   #10
patybear

I too keep going back to the cds(its all I have really.I saw THE MAN
last year at Chautauqua. It will probably be my one shot,since Gord
doesn't come my way very often.)For me,I think its a little bit of nostaglia.I grew up listening to,"If You Could Read My Mind" and "Sundown".I had the the Endless Wire album too.
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettled 1 View Post
When he can no longer perform I do not want to lament not having heard his last concert that I could have attended.
ditto, so well and concisely put, Brain...cool thread...there are some great responses in some prior similar threads that would be fun to revisit or unveil for newbies...I can't remember what the key search word would be to dig em up

enjoy the upcoming gigs, folks
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 01:17 AM   #12
Borderstone

I keep going (although I missed the last 2 Phoenix shows) because he's the only male artist who had a 100% appeal for me.

Other male artists when I was growing up,were either too wierd,too loud & obnoxious or way too sappy. In the 80s they were good but more "produced for commercial radio".

Gordon is just right. He's not a rebel but he's not a "picture of perfection" either.

Seeing him live,I know he'll give his all for the fans without any "attitude" of "Oh geez,I have to do "This" again?! Like in Char's new interview,he loves performing for us and we love him for it.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:28 PM   #13
Jenn

Love the question and reading everybody's responses brings the same warmness into my heart that seeing him play does.
Jenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:53 PM   #14
brink-

Because I can sit and look at "THE" Gordon Lightfoot. I know every song he sings. To actually be able to sit and look at the writer and singer of every important song in my life is beyond explanation.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #15
Jesse Joe

I will second what Deb has just posted. I always thought that there could be nobody else in the world that Gordon Lightfoot (the man & his music) would mean as much as he does for me... Boy was I ever wrong !

It seems we are a pretty good bunch, a simple grateful guy from Orillia Ontario...INCREDIBLE !
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 02:03 PM   #16
June in Las Vegas

For over 40 years, his music has been with me, through many seasons of my life. For all of the reasons already stated - love, devotion, respect -
and because listening and seeing him is "coming home" again.

June
June in Las Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 01:01 PM   #17
ANTHONY ROBERSON

On a selfish note, I think it "slows my life down". As long as he's performing, then my world is still the same. Even if his voice is tinny now, some 20+ years since I saw him first in Claremont, or Montclair California.
My other sentiments have already been stated eloquently by pretty much everyone else who replied before me.
ANTHONY ROBERSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 03:15 PM   #18
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Hard to say but I could cut & paste bits & pieces from the posts above and get a pretty close answer. After all he's the 'one thing' everyone here has in common, eh?

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 04:54 PM   #19
timetraveler

The first time(so far) that I went was because of the music. That, and the fact that to me he is a living piece of history & I wanted to see him. I wanted to be able to say "I did it". Let me tell you, it was a glorious feeling.
Old 05-20-2010, 04:07 PM   #20
Kelly Davis

Gord is simply my favorite musician, hands-down.

To go and listen to my favorite musician, meet and get an autograph and picture.

One of life's biggest, simple pleasures !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote