banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 02-06-2009, 10:48 AM   #1
RM

Default Tony Rice

Cold On The Shoulder
YouTube - Tony Rice - Cold On The Shoulder

Home From The Forest
YouTube - Tony Rice - Home From the Forest

Last edited by RM; 02-06-2009 at 11:08 AM.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 02:09 AM   #2
Nightingale

Default Re: Tony Rice

Well, I have no idea who Tony Rice is but I will tell you what I think anyway

I didn't like his version of Cold on the Shoulder. Timing and delivery were off from the original and I love the original so it threw me.
I don't think I would like that song much unless it's Gordon or a very "Gordon like cover" of it.

Home from the Forest was awesome! I loved his take on that song very much.
It's one of my favorites
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 04:31 AM   #3
jj

Icon14 Re: Tony Rice

ahh, a good man turned me onto to TR's album of GL covers in '08

i'd love to be shootin pool or shuffleboard in a smokey pub with Tony and supporting cast playing live close by, keepin my toe a tappin throughout

many more performances to append here - thx for these diddys, rm
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
RM

Bluegrass is not my favorite genre, but that's some serious picking going on. For that reason, I find myself quite fond of it.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
DawnsMinstrel

Tony Rice is probably the best, or one of the best bluegrass guitarists currently living. I've never heard a better flatpicker myself and he's gone way beyond the classic bluegrass style during his career. He's worth a careful listen.
DawnsMinstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #6
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Ron,

Thanks for posting those 2 links. Great live videos of "Cold on the Shoulder", "Home from the Forest", "Ten Degrees and Getting Colder", "Bitter Green", "Shadows" and "Early Morning Rain". I had no interest in bluegrass until 1996 when I read a Melbourne newspaper review of "Tony Rice sings Gordon Lightfoot" and bought the CD. The songs on it are "Go My Way", "Home from the Forest", "Fine as Fine Can Be", Let it Ride", "I'm Not Sayin'", "Bitter Green", "You Are What I Am", "Shadows", "Walls", "Whispers of the North", "Ten Degrees and Getting Colder", "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald", "Early Morning Rain", "Whisper My Name", "Sixteen Miles", "Cold on the Shoulder" and "Song for a Winter's Night". It's one of my 10-12 favourite albums and I suggest essential for any Lightfoot fan.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:27 AM   #7
podunklander

Icon14 Re: Tony Rice

So far I did get to listen/watch Tony Rice perform, "Cold On The Shoulder" and I loved it!!! I wish that Gordon was still performing it! About 3-4 years ago, I'd take my aunt out dancing to a bar that had live Country music bands and I loved it when they played this song!!

The only thing I didn't like about the YouTube posting and performance is that Gordon isn't properly credited for his song !!!
Old 03-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #8
paddletothesea

yeah tony is probably one of the best guitarist in the world. He actually plays the Martin given to him by Clearance White of the Byrds.
Cold on the Shoulder is incredible how rice does it. His arrangment and tempo are perfection at its best.
if youve never seen tony...go see him. he plays alot with Peter Rowan, Sam Bush Band, Doc Watson so those artist have tony on their albums too.
To my knowledge Tony is still unable to sing for the last 7 years due to throat cancer/prblems so he usually only plays and no more singing.

N
paddletothesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #9
fezo

Actually Tony's voice problem is neurological. When he fist came down with it he coudn't even talk. He's done therapy back to talking and could do more to get back to singing but last I heard he says he's happier picking and that's about it. I'd disagree - his singing brought me around to him.

That CD of him doing the Lightfoot tunes is fabulous.

On that guitar - Tonly actually tracked it down two years after White's death. Exactly the right person to have it.

Speaking of Clarence White, I still wonder what he could have done had he been allowed to live past 29.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2009, 03:50 PM   #10
Jim Nasium

I picked up a Norman Blake song, " Church Street Blues" recently and have been trying to get a handle on it, I found this Tony Rice version on youtube, he sure can pick.

Jim Nasium is offline   Reply With Quote