banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 03-27-2014, 12:15 AM   #1
bethr

Default Thanks for Gord

I had this on the FB fan page, but just wanted to share with his core group, sorry for the repeat, just wanted to share:

Ok, please feel free not to read what I'm writing, because I'm just going to type before I think. I spent an hour talking about Gord to someone I really respect and got the same response I always get, the fervent, "I LOVE Gordon Lightfoot." That look of love and happiness. It started me thinking more, yes more, about this.
Now please, do not think for a moment that I am comparing myself to Gord, but I live for being an artist (as so many of you on this site do, just seeing the talent you all have, or even if it's just the simple appreciation for what he does.) I make my living and feel I was put on this Earth to create videos. And when I started, it was after losing my beloved father, but working through that to find what I was meant to do. But being an artist, you have to lay yourself bare. I would shake when I presented my work to people because that was me on that screen - I put me in there and that's scary.
The beauty that Gordon brings to us through his music is so true and so authentic that I know that's what makes people have that look when they talk about him. But I can not imagine the toll it takes, or did, on him. The level of openness that you must have to be that conduit for that beauty in this world is extraordinary. But there's no simple way to close that up in everyday life.
I know that his fans all try to relay that to him. That by passing that beauty through to all of us, that he brings out the artist in us. The moments when you just close your eyes when you're listening to him because he gets you to that place.
There is no way to thank him for giving so much of himself. I can only hope that he knows when he sees all of the tributes that people do, when they play his songs, when they meet him and try to convey what he means to our lives, that he deserves every bit of that love and more. But it's impossible really to put it into words, because it's intangible. But I am so greatly affected by him as an artist, that I probably don't realize just how much he has touched me and my life. But I know I will always try to stay open, as much as he does, and keep channeling the beauty that is out there but so hard to manifest.
I'd like to think that he and we have all been blessed with him being here with us this long, still sharing and connecting, as a payback for all he's given to be that conduit.
I really hope I haven't gone on too long, but when something affects you this strongly, and finding his art surely has, I can't help but try to share what he means to me.
bethr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:25 AM   #2
jj

Default Re: Thanks for Gord

nice
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 05:44 AM   #3
paskatefan

What beautiful, heartfelt thoughts. Thanks for sharing this!
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 03:17 PM   #4
bethr

Thank you both, for the kind words. You always wonder if you should open up, but I figure he does it all the time in his music, it's the least I could do
Old 04-02-2014, 10:37 PM   #5
lighthead2toe

bethr:

Your post is very moving and most profound.

Obviously you've given time and thought to step up there and let it all out.

Coming from a guy who has "searched the whole world over" for some of the words and phrases you've come up with here please accept the stars that I would like to give.

Thanks for sharing your gift.

Ron J.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:11 PM   #6
charlene

thanks for sharing it here too..we can never have enough praise for The Man!
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 11:18 PM   #7
dray7austin

Beautiful. So eloquently stated.
dray7austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 02:04 PM   #8
bethr

"Your post is very moving and most profound.
Obviously you've given time and thought to step up there and let it all out.
Coming from a guy who has "searched the whole world over" for some of the words and phrases you've come up with here please accept the stars that I would like to give.
Thanks for sharing your gift.
Ron J."

Thank you Ron, that is so kind of you. As for time and thought, I actually couldn't get the words out fast enough, because I didn't want to over-think, I just wanted to go with feelings - kind of learning that lesson from some very wise, lovely music I've been listening to

"thanks for sharing it here too..we can never have enough praise for The Man!
Char"
That's for sure -- thanks for the wonderful place to share it Char!

"Beautiful. So eloquently stated."
Thank you Dray, I appreciate it

Last edited by bethr; 04-04-2014 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:01 AM   #9
lighthead2toe

You have a good heart and mind. Take good care.

RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 02:20 PM   #10
bethr

You too friend