banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 11-16-2003, 06:43 PM   #1
BRIAN

I was doing some surfing today and noticed nobody seems to stock Gord's Gold anymore. Have they stopped making this great cd now that the Complete Greatest Hits is available?
BRIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 07:45 PM   #2
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Yes, Gords Gold is now out of print. Has been for a year or so.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 07:45 PM   #3
TheWatchman

Yes. Unfortunately it is oop. Makes no sense to me because that is one fantastic greatest hits CD.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2003, 07:46 PM   #4
TheWatchman

Don't you have anything else better to do up in the middle of nowhere Cathy? We typed the replys at the same time. Please don't tell me that you just finished watching "Meet The Parents" too.
Old 11-16-2003, 10:45 PM   #5
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Don't you have anything else better to do up in the middle of nowhere Cathy? We typed the replys at the same time. Please don't tell me that you just finished watching "Meet The Parents" too.

No, I spent the evening writing a newsletter to my website mailing list. I only do this once every three months, and it should take just a few minutes to do, but I'm a perfectionist. I write, delete, write, change, correct, write some more, delete some more, correct again.... It turns into a two hour project before I know it.
I should have done this earier, but I was stuck on learning an old fiddle tune. Then I got the banjo out for awhile, then the new guitar. Time flies when I'm playing.

Hey, guess what? I recorded a CD at Grant Avenue Studio. I had intended on just doing a demo, but it went so well, when they asked me to stay an extra day I decided to go for a full CD. It will have 13 songs, with various instrumentation added by Bob Doidge, including guitar, highstring, electric lead, single note accordion solos, lap steel, drums, bass. Oh man, that guy can play anything. Quite a musician. It's being mixed and mastered now and then will be sent out to be duplicated. I'll save some for demos, sell some locally and hopefully will sell some from my website.
It's definitely among the coolest things I've ever done.

Old 11-17-2003, 07:10 AM   #6
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by brink:
Let us know too Cathy. Some of us live out west and don't get to see you.

Brink, stick your name in my website mailing list. I assure you, it's very secure and you won't get one bit of spam from it. I do a bi-monthly newsletter, and will keep everyone updated as to the status of the CD. I'm hoping to get out west next year and I'll post concert dates on my website.

Old 11-17-2003, 02:02 PM   #7
joveski

out of print? that's weird cause down here in melbourne, it can be found quite easily at shops (new, not second hand)
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 06:24 AM   #8
TheWatchman

Bob Doidge? Holy cow! I'm sure he doesn't play with just anybody. Wow. I want to buy the first copy.

Are there any Lightfoot tunes on the CD? Originals?
Old 11-18-2003, 06:52 AM   #9
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

joveski,

Do any of those shops do mail order? You should post the address for anyone looking for the CD.

Peace,

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2003, 07:06 AM   #10
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
Bob Doidge? Holy cow! I'm sure he doesn't play with just anybody. Wow. I want to buy the first copy.

There are six Lightfoot tunes, six tunes by various artists and one original instrumental.

Old 11-18-2003, 07:12 PM   #11
Greg

Some time ago I spoke with Thane Tierney (of Rhino/Warners), who, along with Gord was responsible for the great Songbook box set. I asked him if Gord's Gold would ever be upgraded (adding the re-recording of "Affair on 8th Avenue"). He said it was something they were considering, especially since the box set had done so well. I haven't spoken to Thane in quite some time, so who knows? Here's hoping.

Greg
Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 11:08 AM   #12
Gord

Hey Cathy I see you were in my neck of the woods eh??? Being in that studio did ya feel a bit nervous knowing THE MAN himself had been in that very same studio??
Old 11-19-2003, 06:45 PM   #13
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Gord:
Hey Cathy I see you were in my neck of the woods eh??? Being in that studio did ya feel a bit nervous knowing THE MAN himself had been in that very same studio??

Are you near Hamilton, Gord? I really screwed up, because a bunch of my fiddling friends live in Hamilton, too, but I didn't discover that until I came back to Maine.
Hamilton's a nice place. The skyline is a bit freaky on the drive in, with all those smoke stacks, but it's kind of cool downtown, once you are away from the industrial area. Driving along the Niagara Escarpment around Dundas is quite beautiful, and driving through Dundas, the home of Stan Rogers, was quite inspiring, too.
Well, I wasn't too nervous, but I was definitely in awe when Bob said I was using Gord's favorite microphone. It was pretty awesome, come to think of it. I walked around thinking... "Wow, Gord probably used the same cup I'm drinking out of now... Gord probably sat right in this very chair.... Gord probably used this bathroom..." LOL

Cathy http://www.cathycowette
Old 11-20-2003, 05:51 AM   #14
Gord

Yup I am in Brantford which is 15 min west of Hamilton, next time I'm at my girlfriend's place I'll take a run to Grant Avenue Studio's and get a picture of it and post it here.

Actually I love being in Hamilton, it's right on Lake Ontario, many major acts have performed at Bayfront Park, including Saga and Chilliwack, both immensely huge Canadian acts.

Dundas is beautiful in the fall when all the maple trees turn red and orange, just stunning.

Old 11-20-2003, 06:49 AM   #15
Gaby

Amazon.ca has copies for $18.99. Ships within 24 hours.
Gaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 07:28 AM   #16
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by Gord:
Yup I am in Brantford which is 15 min west of Hamilton, next time I'm at my girlfriend's place I'll take a run to Grant Avenue Studio's and get a picture of it and post it here.

Actually I love being in Hamilton, it's right on Lake Ontario, many major acts have performed at Bayfront Park, including Saga and Chilliwack, both immensely huge Canadian acts.

Dundas is beautiful in the fall when all the maple trees turn red and orange, just stunning.

The folliage was still quite beautiful when I was there. I'd say they were over the peak, but not to the point where they were bare. We stayed out in the country at a B&B and the rural scenery was nice.
There are a couple of pictures of Grant Avenue on my website.

Old 11-20-2003, 08:02 AM   #17
DMD3

I can't believe Gords Gold is out of print. Now I'll have to take special care of my CD. By the way, I can't seem to find Waiting For You in stores. Has it gone out of print, too?
Old 11-20-2003, 01:25 PM   #18
DMD3

My grandma is getting 'A Painter Passing Through' and 'Waiting For You' for christmas, and while she has ordered A Painter, she cannot order 'Waiting For You'. She doesn't have a credit card so she can't get one off half.com etc. And she knows someone that can burn CDs with songs off the internet but he says he can't find a single one of the songs from the Waiting For You album to burn. What's up with this?
Old 11-20-2003, 03:31 PM   #19
joveski

waiting for you is out of print. pretty hard to fin if you don't have a credit crad to get it off the net
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 03:41 PM   #20
Borderstone

I got my copies of Waiting For You and "Painter" from a used record/CD store. Usually known as oldies stores or outlets. Check your local yellow pages under compact disc (the term record store is no longer used.) You'll find a list of several stores like that. I got mine in the same week! Happy hunting! Later!

------------------
Borderstone (Hello! )
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 06:57 PM   #21
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by DMD3:
My grandma is getting 'A Painter Passing Through' and 'Waiting For You' for christmas, and while she has ordered A Painter, she cannot order 'Waiting For You'. She doesn't have a credit card so she can't get one off half.com etc. And she knows someone that can burn CDs with songs off the internet but he says he can't find a single one of the songs from the Waiting For You album to burn. What's up with this?

Ebay usually has Waiting For You, and you don't need a credit card.

Cathy
Old 12-05-2003, 04:30 PM   #22
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

while googling I found a "cached" site page with many good reviews of Gord's albums:-
http://216.239.33.104/search?q=cache...hl=en&ie=UTF-8
the quote below appears directly on that cached page whereas it is probably buried in one of the reviews on the actual current page:-

http://classical.mysic.com/Gordon_Lightfoot.html
So try the first link first!!

In particular the following comments on Gord's Gold and Songbook:-

Gord's Gold: As Good As It Gets - 5 Stars · Lightfoot at a peak in his career · Don't buy this album - there are now better alternatives

next showing was Songbook
Any Music Lover Would Be Pleased With GL & This Set · A superlative survey of an extraordinary career · Fabulous collection!
Hear Hear!!!!(My italics and bold)

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited December 05, 2003).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 08:48 PM   #23
patybear

To Brian: I just ordered a NEW(NOT used)copy of the orginal"Gord's Gold"(doesn't include Affair on 8th Avenue)from Barnes and Noble.Costs about
$10.78(not including tax and S&H)You'll need a credit card to purchase it online.Or you might try
going to one of their retail stores if theres one near-by.
patybear
patybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2006, 09:56 AM   #24
Cathy

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:

Did you buy a copy, Watchman? They're for sale now (finally) on cathycowette.com
Old 02-11-2007, 10:54 PM   #25
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by timetraveler:
I wasn't aware that it was out of print. I guess that's why it's news to me. It wasn't all that long ago that I found a copy of Gord's Gold in my local Wal-Marts.
Whilst it was quite true back in 2003 when this topic started that the original Gord's Gold was out of print a repackaged version was issued in 2006 or was it 2005??

but as I remember Valerie pointing out at the time the Record company failed miserably to take the opportunity to rectify the original error by including the missing track A O 8th Ave inexcusable since whereas years ago CDs were time limited as far back as 1999 the Songbook box set featured 4 cds each of which runs over 79 minutes
John
in fact there are heaps of copies of the original (all brown insert) version still available even in the UK just search ebay for "gord's gold"
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote