banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-14-2006, 05:19 AM   #1
Jesse Joe

http://www.europa.com/~random7/band/gl8b.jpg

Have anyone of you ever seen Gordon Lightfoot Live in concert, using his Gibson Electric Guitar?

I have seen him live twice, and both times he did not have the electric gibson with him.

Lots of TV concerts as well, only the two acoustics.

I have seen him only twice on TV doing, 'Knotty Pine'.

Once at the 1983 Juno Awards, and the second time, in Roy Thomson Hall, at a Good Brothers concert.

I myself think that guitar sounds awesome, with his finger pickin technique...Jesse.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 05:19 AM   #2
Jesse Joe

http://www.europa.com/~random7/band/gl8b.jpg

Have anyone of you ever seen Gordon Lightfoot Live in concert, using his Gibson Electric Guitar?

I have seen him live twice, and both times he did not have the electric gibson with him.

Lots of TV concerts as well, only the two acoustics.

I have seen him only twice on TV doing, 'Knotty Pine'.

Once at the 1983 Juno Awards, and the second time, in Roy Thomson Hall, at a Good Brothers concert.

I myself think that guitar sounds awesome, with his finger pickin technique...Jesse.
Old 07-14-2006, 06:48 AM   #3
GeronimoDon

I saw him in San Diego about the time "Salute" came out - he did indeed play the Gibson SG. It was certainly strange to see him behind an electric guitar!
GeronimoDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 06:48 AM   #4
halocat

I saw him in San Diego about the time "Salute" came out - he did indeed play the Gibson SG. It was certainly strange to see him behind an electric guitar!
halocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2006, 07:03 AM   #5
Jesse Joe

Thanks for the info halocat, quite the contrary for me tho, I think the Gibson (SG} looks good, with him behind it...Jesse.

[ July 14, 2006, 08:24: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 07-14-2006, 07:03 AM   #6
Jesse Joe

Thanks for the info halocat, quite the contrary for me tho, I think the Gibson (SG} looks good, with him behind it...Jesse.

[ July 14, 2006, 08:24: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 07-14-2006, 08:00 PM   #7
closetcanadian

I also saw him on the "Salute" tour play the electric Gibson on stage. When he picked it up, murmurs could be heard from the audience. Gordon just laughed and said, "don't worry, I just want to play a couple of toe-tappers and then I'll put it back..." :D
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:26 AM   #8
Jesse Joe

Is that right, closetcanadian? Where was this? It's kind a funny eh, that folk singers fan seemed to be afraid of the electric guitar. He plays it with finger style, just has he plays his Martin Acoustic, which I think sounds OK...Jesse.

[ July 15, 2006, 06:29: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 07-15-2006, 04:26 AM   #9
Jesse Joe

Is that right, closetcanadian? Where was this? It's kind a funny eh, that folk singers fan seemed to be afraid of the electric guitar. He plays it with finger style, just has he plays his Martin Acoustic, which I think sounds OK...Jesse.

[ July 15, 2006, 06:29: Message edited by: Jesse -Joe ]
Old 07-15-2006, 09:47 AM   #10
closetcanadian

Jesse,

If I remember correctly, it was in 1983 and I saw Lightfoot at Occidental College in Pomona, CA. He sang 3 or 4 tunes from the Salute album. I must admit I did not care for that album when I first bought it but it's grown on me over the years. There are some very good songs on there but I still cannot stand Canary Yellow Canoe! I hit the "skip" button every time when that one starts to play...

I can't blame GL or anyone else for wanting to play an electric guitar. I was surprised how much easier they are to play than an acoustic. The action on electrics is so low and effortless. I don't own an electric myself but I have been tempted by a few strats I've looked at!

Best regards,
cc
closetcanadian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:19 AM   #11
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I have a Strat and I rarely play it. My son Matt always digs it out when he visits, though.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #12
Jesse Joe

That is true closetcanadian, very true, but to hear the beautiful acoustic sound is truly amazing...Jesse.
Old 07-15-2006, 12:42 PM   #13
Jesse Joe

That is true closetcanadian, very true, but to hear the beautiful acoustic sound is truly amazing...Jesse.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #14
ani635

Send a message via AIM to ani635

I saw Gord in Milwaukee once, back in '83 or so... had the electric guitar, broke a string during 'Broken Dreams'... left the stage, show over!

No encore, no nothin! Guess he had a bad night...
ani635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 01:49 PM   #15
dorkdog

I saw Gord in Milwaukee once, back in '83 or so... had the electric guitar, broke a string during 'Broken Dreams'... left the stage, show over!

No encore, no nothin! Guess he had a bad night...
dorkdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:25 PM   #16
Gitchigumee

If I'm not mistaken, that was during his drinkin' days. Not that it's an excuse, but it kind of makes me wonder if he was really himself that night, to just walk off stage like that and not come back.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #17
charlene

Quote:
Originally posted by Gitchigumee:
If I'm not mistaken, that was during his drinkin' days. Not that it's an excuse, but it kind of makes me wonder if he was really himself that night, to just walk off stage like that and not come back.
He quit cold turkey in 1981 I believe..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #18
charlene

Quote:
Originally posted by Gitchigumee:
He quit cold turkey in 1981 I believe..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 02:56 PM   #19
vlmagee

Send a message via AIM to vlmagee Send a message via MSN to vlmagee

September, 1982. I don't remember his doing Broken Dreams that summer, before he quit, but maybe he did. I too can't imagine him just walking off once he was performing sober.
vlmagee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:19 PM   #20
Gitchigumee

IF Gord or one of his people should happened to read this, and IF he wanted to make amends for that Milwaukee performance, now we're talking my neck of the woods! It would be incredible to see him play at the ampitheater at the Summerfest grounds on the shores of Lake Michigan. A lot of IF's I know, but what the heck, it doesn't hurt to ask.
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Old 02-15-2007, 04:23 PM   #21
Gitchigumee

Not that he needs to make amends for anything he has ever done, but I'm just saying IF...
Old 02-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #22
Auburn Annie

I saw him in concert at a community college in the Rochester area on May 3 1974 and he broke a string mid-song (can't remember which) but he just stopped, whipped another one out and changed it onstage, making some comments about the risks of live performing. While he adjsuted/tuned etc the audience (mostly college students) amused themselves by throwing Frisbees around the auditorium.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:37 PM   #23
Auburn Annie

I saw him in concert at a community college in the Rochester area on May 3 1974 and he broke a string mid-song (can't remember which) but he just stopped, whipped another one out and changed it onstage, making some comments about the risks of live performing. While he adjsuted/tuned etc the audience (mostly college students) amused themselves by throwing Frisbees around the auditorium.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2007, 04:48 PM   #24
Borderstone

I saw Gordon on "The Alan Thicke Show or "Thicke Of the Night" (the show ran Sept. '83-May '84)and he had the electric guitar on.

He sang "Broken Dreams" from Salute and then later did "Early Morning Rain" in which Alan joined in with him! ( [img]tongue.gif[/img] )

Alan...stick to comedy okay? LOL! :D
Old 02-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #25
seafarer62

Saw Gord in April 1984 in Minneapolis. He did a number of songs off of Salute using the electric. Don't remember any guitar string breaking. I remember he abandoned the electric guitar in concert by the time he resumed touring in 1986.
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote