banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-20-2010, 08:30 PM   #1
JohnStinson

Default Nice thread on which capo position ..but whcih songs were recorded sharp

I remember Red Shea telling me that they would record some songs a little sharp ( out of 440). ..And sometimes live too ...if you could imagine. Apparently some think it makes the song better that way. Sure is frustrating when you try and play along and there is no way to do it without retuning the axe.

Which ones were recorded out of 440?
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #2
jj

Default Re: Nice thread on which capo position ..but whcih songs were recorded sharp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStinson View Post
Apparently some think it makes the song better that way.
what an interesting, inside scoop, tidbit

was aware of the odd producer who would take the tape (pre-digital) speed up a wee notch for the same reason but that skewed tempo as well as pitch...toggling back and forth with drop D tunings live is enough of a burden, so no can't imagine tweaking all strings in and out of standard pitch...i suppose the pitch knob on back of the keys could have it's place in these instances...playing/tuning with this act sounds like an 'eternal hell' (lol, as GL would say), then again, he's got a guitar set up for each occasions..it's like carrying around a harmonic holster, i suppose
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
jj

Default Re: Nice thread on which capo position ..but whcih songs were recorded sharp

i am finding that you are so correct...GG1 and many others...i don't play along to tracks for any reasons (one, my listening vs playing rooms are separate) so no big deal but in trying to zero in on key signatures some were falling almost exactly between half tones

anyhow, besides using a pitch control on my old tape deck (most of my GL is on album or cassette... and now itunes) i can import music files into Peak or Final Cut Pro and alter the audio track speed to bring them back into A440, of course this alters tempo a smidgen but it's a worthwhile tradeoff...once the guitar is tuned i like to leave it be

another thought, what if there was some sort of foul up when masters were digitized (GG1 for example, may Richard would know) and the tape playback motor was slightly off
jj is offline   Reply With Quote