banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-18-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
BRY

And I have a new favorite Gordon Lightfoot album. It's as good as everyone's been saying.

Walt
BRY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 06:15 PM   #2
waltsongs

And I have a new favorite Gordon Lightfoot album. It's as good as everyone's been saying.

Walt
waltsongs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 07:27 PM   #3
Tyler

Excellent Cd isn't it? What really makes it special is how it was made. What a guy! Any favorites Walt?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 07:27 PM   #4
brink

Excellent Cd isn't it? What really makes it special is how it was made. What a guy! Any favorites Walt?
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 09:11 PM   #5
BRY

The title track Harmony is my favorite but the entire CD is great.

Walt
Old 12-18-2004, 09:11 PM   #6
waltsongs

The title track Harmony is my favorite but the entire CD is great.

Walt
Old 12-18-2004, 11:36 PM   #7
Tyler

I really liked Sometimes I Wish and River of Light (this week anyway).
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2004, 11:36 PM   #8
brink

brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 12:54 AM   #9
Sheryl Klein

I popped in Harmony again to see if I'd changed my mind on my favorites and, yessiree, I did: I find that with each listening, my enjoyment increases -- always a good thing when it's Gord! My favorites: River of Light, No Mistake About It, The No Hotel, Inspiration Lady (has everyone seen the video at Linus Entertainment?), Clouds of Loneliness, and Sometimes I Wish. I certainly hope another album is in the making. Am I asking for too much??
Old 12-19-2004, 12:54 AM   #10
Sheryl Klein

I popped in Harmony again to see if I'd changed my mind on my favorites and, yessiree, I did: I find that with each listening, my enjoyment increases -- always a good thing when it's Gord! My favorites: River of Light, No Mistake About It, The No Hotel, Inspiration Lady (has everyone seen the video at Linus Entertainment?), Clouds of Loneliness, and Sometimes I Wish. I certainly hope another album is in the making. Am I asking for too much??
Old 12-19-2004, 05:23 AM   #11
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by brink:

Beautiful songs, Debs, but the enigmatic Shellfish still haunts me. River of Light was my original fave but after all these weeks, I still cant name an overall favourite. Surely that is the sign of a real classic collection!
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 09:44 AM   #12
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Shellfish is a catchy tune, isn't it? It's one of those songs that just kind of creeps up on you. I find myself humming it when I least expect it.
It was my favorite of the three new ones he was singing in concert, before he got sick. I hope he continues to perform it.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 10:28 AM   #13
SilverHeels

quote:Originally posted by Cathy:
Shellfish is a catchy tune, isn't it? It's one of those songs that just kind of creeps up on you. I find myself humming it when I least expect it.
It was my favorite of the three new ones he was singing in concert, before he got sick. I hope he continues to perform it.

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com

You're right, Cathy, it does creep up on one. I didnt even like it when he first performed it. I remember David raving about it and I couldnt understand. Now I am truly hooked. It's in my head for sure.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:33 AM   #14
djb

Shellfish didn't creep up on me. It smacked me right between the eyes from the very first listen. It is my absolute fave on the album, and will be a constant at the top of my Gord heirarchy for a very long time. Considering my Gord faves change on a daily - or even hourly - basis, that is quite a compliment.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:33 AM   #15
djb

Shellfish didn't creep up on me. It smacked me right between the eyes from the very first listen. It is my absolute fave on the album, and will be a constant at the top of my Gord heirarchy for a very long time. Considering my Gord faves change on a daily - or even hourly - basis, that is quite a compliment.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:41 AM   #16
SilverHeels

OK Dave, so I was a bit slow on this one. I promise to do better next time.
Old 12-19-2004, 02:30 PM   #17
djb

Hey SH, we're a great team. You'll be there for me soon enough!

Oh yes, and River Of Light is number two on the list, but Shellfish wins by half a length.

[This message has been edited by djb (edited December 19, 2004).]
Old 12-19-2004, 02:30 PM   #18
djb

Hey SH, we're a great team. You'll be there for me soon enough!

Oh yes, and River Of Light is number two on the list, but Shellfish wins by half a length.

[This message has been edited by djb (edited December 19, 2004).]
Old 12-19-2004, 11:46 PM   #19
silenceandsound86

Walt,

Just a friendly warning. If you are like most of us, you will now be playing Harmony repeatedly for months to come, day after day. I bought it when it first came out, and it is only in recent weeks that I sometimes actually go for 2-3 days without playing it. It is incredible, and just gets better with each listen!
silenceandsound86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2004, 11:46 PM   #20
Rona

Walt,

Just a friendly warning. If you are like most of us, you will now be playing Harmony repeatedly for months to come, day after day. I bought it when it first came out, and it is only in recent weeks that I sometimes actually go for 2-3 days without playing it. It is incredible, and just gets better with each listen!
Rona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2004, 05:32 AM   #21
djb

This is true. I am one of those who will find something new (music, food, misc. activity) and then thoroughly and ridiculously overdo it to the point where I am sick of it in a few months.

Gord is the exception. I never grow weary, and even in the old songs, I will still occasionally hear or feel a new sensation.

Old 12-20-2004, 05:32 AM   #22
djb

This is true. I am one of those who will find something new (music, food, misc. activity) and then thoroughly and ridiculously overdo it to the point where I am sick of it in a few months.

Gord is the exception. I never grow weary, and even in the old songs, I will still occasionally hear or feel a new sensation.

Old 12-20-2004, 10:25 AM   #23
BRY

Well after listening to the album for most of the weekend, I think No Hotel has jumped into number one. Flying Blind is also climbing my personal charts.

When he wrote Harmony, I'm wondering if he was simply thinking about finding the right notes to a song, finding harmony in his life, or (and this is what came to my mind) finding harmony in the world. The world could sure use a little Harmony these days.

Best,
Walter Farmer
Old 12-20-2004, 10:25 AM   #24
waltsongs

Well after listening to the album for most of the weekend, I think No Hotel has jumped into number one. Flying Blind is also climbing my personal charts.

When he wrote Harmony, I'm wondering if he was simply thinking about finding the right notes to a song, finding harmony in his life, or (and this is what came to my mind) finding harmony in the world. The world could sure use a little Harmony these days.

Best,
Walter Farmer
Old 12-20-2004, 10:43 AM   #25
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

quote:Originally posted by waltsongs:

Best,
Walter Farmer

Walter,

Before he sang Harmony at the shows in Hamilton he said that he had written the song when he was "on the cusp of personal trauma" and thought it would be good to see if he could get a song out of it. I'm told he was looking right at someone when he said that but I didn't notice. He laughed about it too but not like it was "haha" funny, if you take my meaning eh?

Bill

BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote