banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-17-2003, 10:02 AM   #1
sleepinggiants

To our favourite singer Gordon Lightfoot, a very happy 65th birthday from all your Canadian fans, especially those that do know where "Orillia" is!
Live today like there is no tomorrow!
sleepinggiants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:02 AM   #2
flickchick

To our favourite singer Gordon Lightfoot, a very happy 65th birthday from all your Canadian fans, especially those that do know where "Orillia" is!
Live today like there is no tomorrow!
flickchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:45 AM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

flickchick you are getting right up my nose
that is a saying not literal
did you ever go to Orillia yourself???

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 10:45 AM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

flickchick you are getting right up my nose

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 11:17 AM   #5
fowlesjohn

john calm is the suggestion,
flickchick, most of the people who are on this board are aware of where Orillia, Ontario, Canada is... you really need not post such inflammatory comments. They serve no justice here. Gord does not check out the internet, we know this and so are comments are 99% for ourselves, being his loyal fan base. We are glad you are here and hope you are not here to insult the intelligence of all who do browse here. Thanks, gwen
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 11:17 AM   #6
gwen snyder

flickchick, most of the people who are on this board are aware of where Orillia, Ontario, Canada is... you really need not post such inflammatory comments. They serve no justice here. Gord does not check out the internet, we know this and so are comments are 99% for ourselves, being his loyal fan base. We are glad you are here and hope you are not here to insult the intelligence of all who do browse here. Thanks, gwen
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:41 PM   #7
sleepinggiants

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johnfowles:
[B]flickchick you are getting right up my nose

As a matter of fact Mr. Fowles, my family has a cottage in Orillia, so Yes! Have been there done that and bought Gord's t-shirt as well. Oh, and thats a saying sir...not literal!!! Happy B'Day Gord, wherever you are!

Old 11-17-2003, 02:41 PM   #8
flickchick

[QUOTE]Originally posted by johnfowles:
[B]flickchick you are getting right up my nose

As a matter of fact Mr. Fowles, my family has a cottage in Orillia, so Yes! Have been there done that and bought Gord's t-shirt as well. Oh, and thats a saying sir...not literal!!! Happy B'Day Gord, wherever you are!

Old 11-17-2003, 02:54 PM   #9
sleepinggiants

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gwen snyder:
[B]john calm is the suggestion,
flickchick, most of the people who are on this board are aware of where Orillia, Ontario, Canada is... you really need not post such inflammatory comments. They serve no justice here. Gord does not check out the internet, we know this and so are comments are 99% for ourselves, being his loyal fan base. We are glad you are here and hope you are not here to insult the intelligence of all who do browse here. Thanks, gwen.

Gwen: I wasn't aware that the terminology I used in my post was as you call it "inflammatory". Secondly, how do you know what Gord does or doesn't do? Maybe Gord himself doesn't check out this site, but he has a wife,several children and friends, etc...who more than likely read here and or post here incognito, how do we know differently? So sorry if you read me the wrong way, it was not intended to be an insult!

Old 11-17-2003, 02:54 PM   #10
flickchick

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gwen snyder:
[B]john calm is the suggestion,
flickchick, most of the people who are on this board are aware of where Orillia, Ontario, Canada is... you really need not post such inflammatory comments. They serve no justice here. Gord does not check out the internet, we know this and so are comments are 99% for ourselves, being his loyal fan base. We are glad you are here and hope you are not here to insult the intelligence of all who do browse here. Thanks, gwen.

Gwen: I wasn't aware that the terminology I used in my post was as you call it "inflammatory". Secondly, how do you know what Gord does or doesn't do? Maybe Gord himself doesn't check out this site, but he has a wife,several children and friends, etc...who more than likely read here and or post here incognito, how do we know differently? So sorry if you read me the wrong way, it was not intended to be an insult!

Old 11-17-2003, 08:56 PM   #11
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

quote:Originally posted by flickchick:
[B][QUOTE]Originally posted by gwen snyder:

Gord has mentioned on several occasions that he isn't very computer savvy, and in fact, doesn't use one at all.
As far as him hanging out here incognito, I only have one question: Why?

Cathy http://www.cathycowette.com
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:59 PM   #12
fowlesjohn

Ok flickchick, you may be right I was just going by what most people her have to say on the matter, truly not that that matters, we are just people who enjoy Gords' music...nothing more nothing less. And yes the comment about especially those who do know where Orillia was inflammatory, primarily because if you are posting here it is a pretty constant variable that most know and have been there, Orillia that is. Any other comments? We are glad when anyone finds our world here so glad to have your thoughts, just remember, here, everybody knows a good deal about Gord...and his comments. But, I am glad you are here comments and all. How many of us do know where in the world Orillia Ontario, Canada is?
fowlesjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 08:59 PM   #13
gwen snyder

Ok flickchick, you may be right I was just going by what most people her have to say on the matter, truly not that that matters, we are just people who enjoy Gords' music...nothing more nothing less. And yes the comment about especially those who do know where Orillia was inflammatory, primarily because if you are posting here it is a pretty constant variable that most know and have been there, Orillia that is. Any other comments? We are glad when anyone finds our world here so glad to have your thoughts, just remember, here, everybody knows a good deal about Gord...and his comments. But, I am glad you are here comments and all. How many of us do know where in the world Orillia Ontario, Canada is?
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 11:12 PM   #14
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by gwen snyder:
.... How many of us do know where in the world Orillia Ontario, Canada is?

Gee, I'm not sure, but I think I've figured out where in the world Carmen San Diego is. My theory is... she's been hanging out in Orillia and she's been visiting this newsgroup incognito, which is the reason nobody knows where she is.
Sheesh! I hope she doesn't tell Gord I wrote this stupid post! I can only hope he won't know who she is, as she is incognito... in Orillia.
Hey! Now there's a great song title!

Old 11-18-2003, 04:53 PM   #15
Borderstone

Orillia Toronto Canada is only a few hundred miles north of my hometown of Corry,Pennsylvania which is located only 30 miles from Erie,PA and or Lake Erie. I think if anyone's a GL fan and can find Toronto on a map,they know quite well where to find Orillia. I'm hoping F.C. meant no offense in his post. My father was from Niagra Falls and since Canada and America are all conjoined lands anyway,I'm practically Canadian myself! 'Night!

------------------
Borderstone (Hello! )
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 03:24 AM   #16
Iron

What a bunch of goofballs!!!!!Anyone who has ever heard that song that Gordon does about the Edmund Fitzgerald would know that Ontario is a lake,so it don't take much cyphering to figure out that Orilla is an island in lake Ontario..That's why Gordon has that Yellow Canoe and Silver Heels....
Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:39 AM   #17
TheWatchman

quote:Originally posted by Iron:
What a bunch of goofballs!!!!!Anyone who has ever heard that song that Gordon does about the Edmund Fitzgerald would know that Ontario is a lake,so it don't take much cyphering to figure out that Orilla is an island in lake Ontario..That's why Gordon has that Yellow Canoe and Silver Heels....

Exactly! I was waiting for someone to get it.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:10 AM   #18
TheWatchman

flickchick,

You shouldn't believe everything that you read. Technically, Gordon is not really from Orillia. He was born in Sagituckiet, NWT. His parents moved him to Orillia when he was just 12 hours old. When Gordon was 5 yrs old, he packed his pillowcase with provisions and headed back to his native Sagituckiet. He was intercepted east of Thuncy Valley trying to buy some smokes and was prompty returned to his parents. The young Lightfoot decided he would stay in Orillia and the rest is history.

I am really surprised that you would think that Lightfoot was born in Orillia, the small island in the Ontario.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:39 AM   #19
Auburn Annie

Gee, and I thought he was born somewhere east of midnight, west of the turnpike (and 'long about daylight, for those trying to get an accurate reading for his horoscope.)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 06:39 AM   #20
Auburn Annie

Gee, and I thought he was born somewhere east of midnight, west of the turnpike (and 'long about daylight, for those trying to get an accurate reading for his horoscope.)
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 07:53 AM   #21
Cathy

quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
flickchick,

You shouldn't believe everything that you read. Technically, Gordon is not really from Orillia. He was born in Sagituckiet, NWT. His parents moved him to Orillia when he was just 12 hours old. When Gordon was 5 yrs old, he packed his pillowcase with provisions and headed back to his native Sagituckiet. He was intercepted east of Thuncy Valley trying to buy some smokes and was prompty returned to his parents. The young Lightfoot decided he would stay in Orillia and the rest is history.

I am really surprised that you would think that Lightfoot was born in Orillia, the small island in the Ontario.

Yes, and from what I understand, it was on the road to Sagituckiet that the young, smoking Gordie Lightfoot was inspired to write Long Way Back Home.

Old 11-19-2003, 09:46 AM   #22
Jack

And here all this time I thought that he was born in the back of a Seminole bus on the road to Niagara Falls...

Jack
Old 11-19-2003, 09:46 AM   #23
Jack

And here all this time I thought that he was born in the back of a Seminole bus on the road to Niagara Falls...

Jack
Old 11-19-2003, 10:20 AM   #24
Steve DeRosa

Threads like this make my day! Thanks for the laughs!!!
Steve DeRosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 10:20 AM   #25
Oma

Threads like this make my day! Thanks for the laughs!!!
Oma is offline   Reply With Quote