banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 05-09-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Am I getting excited or what??
Montreal Gazette review of Harmony http://www.canada.com/montreal/montrealgazette/news/arts/story.html ?id=3f26ad25-6d83-4269-9f1e-593996a79777

Welcome Back, Gordon Lightfoot: Gordon Lightfoot's voice is frailer than it once was, but his songs still resonate with emotion.
CREDIT: THE GAZETTE
The Gazette

May 6, 2004

Gordon Lightfoot

Harmony

Linus/Warner

Rating 3 1/2
Sometimes the simplest recordings are a lot better than the million-dollar productions. In the months before falling ill in 2002, Gordon Lightfoot put down guitar and vocal demos of his recent songwriting efforts. After emergency stomach surgery and a lengthy hospital stay, Lightfoot listened to the tapes, enlisted his band to overdub their parts, added a couple of other new songs from a 2001 concert, and the result is his best work since the 1970s. Some songs, including Couchiching and River of Light, recapture the spirit of early songs that eloquently described Canadian landscapes. Others, like Harmony, End of All Time and Clouds of Loneliness, reflect poetically on broken relationships. Lightfoot's voice, though frailer than it once was, still communicates both the implicit and explicit emotional content of his songs. Harmony marks a welcome return to form by one of this country's greatest musical legends.

Mike Regenstreif

------------------
My Gordon Lightfoot webring
starts at
http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/lightfoot

[This message has been edited by johnfowles (edited May 09, 2004).]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2004, 09:03 PM   #2
searam

Cream always rises to the top! It just proves that Gord is the best! He is one of a kind!! I cannot wait for the release!
Sean
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2004, 04:01 AM   #3
Borderstone

Since the70's? What about "Waiting For You"? How about "Shadows"? I give both of those albums 5 stars!...and do they have to go on about how his voice sounds frail? They make him sound like he's 105 instead of 65. Granted,he's been through a lot but a record review is no place to dwell on it.
I'm almost sure when I get this CD Tuesday,I'll rate it very high,how many stars remains to be seen but I'm thinking 3 or more. Aurevoir!

------------------
"A knight of the road,going back to a place where he might get warm." - Borderstone
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote