banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
charlene

Default Clapton's 1977 cover of "LOOKING AT THE RAIN" is released

Eric Clapton - 1977 cover of Lightfoot's "LOOKING AT THE RAIN" is released. LISTEN @ the link

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/eric-...g-at-the-rain/

http://www.rttnews.com/2008288/eric-....aspx?type=old
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #2
Bill

Default Re: Clapton's 1977 cover of "LOOKING AT THE RAIN" is released

One of my favorite albums. Looking forward to hearing his tale on Gord!
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 08:01 AM   #3
Dan O'Malley

very nice version!
Old 11-19-2012, 09:26 AM   #4
formerlylavender

This is one of my faves, and I really like Eric's version as well.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Al all very interesting
Having found the requisite link
"Listen to Eric Clapton, ‘Looking at the Rain’"
at the bottom of the song review web page I clicked it with considerable trepidation because this is one of my most favourite Gordsongs and one with a personal and sad connotation from my pivotal year 1972. Frankly I was afraid of what Clapton would do to it because he is not one of my favourite singers by a long way (most of his output I find bland and monotonous with the notable exception of "Layla" by Eric's group Derek and the Dominoes of which one member was Jim Gordon Gord's pre Barry Keane session drummer who played on several albums)
However I found that Eric's cover was very acceptable and decided I would like to save it for possible future use on a "covers" CD project.In the past I have used the line in recording function of MusicMatch JukeBox for such a task (including ripping/digitising from audio cassette tapes or vinyl LPs). but my current netbook setup does not yet have MusicMatch installed
I initially toyed with following the steps used by Ron Meason's son to record the streaming Wolfgang's Vault Fillmore West recording from 1968 see
the web page at::-
http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/gordon...r-05-1968.html

and the two related corfid threads at
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...light=wolfgang
and
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...light=wolfgang
that thread included a tutorial by Ron's son in which he had advocated the program mp3mymp3,but instead of downloading that program I decided to ask Mr Google for advice and found there was a most suitable item listed on a web page on the "Tech Support Alert" website of one of my favourite internet benefactors (Gizmo Edwards) at:-
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...a-recorder.htm
That page helpfully states:-
Just as you can record streaming videos playing on your PC, you can also record audio streams playing through your PC speakers.
In fact there are several free and shareware programs designed specifically for this task but my favorite way of doing this is to use the record option which is available in the Audacity audio editor.
that page held a link to Audacity details on
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...r.htm#Audacity
"By using Audacity you not only can record streaming audio but edit it as well"
This suited me fine as I had already been successfully using Audacity to clean up the 1983 San Francisco bootleg, but I had not realised that it also had this built in recording function
that page had a download link to
http://audacity.sourceforge.net/download/windows
audacity-win-2.0.2.exe 20.8MB
and soon I had saved the Clapton track as a 33.9MB wav format file
Now I will be using Audacity to save that 1986 Fillmore West recording
(the original set of files that Ron posted the download links to have long since expired from the short term fileden file storage web site

Tracks: 18
Total Time: 58:06

I'm Not Saying 2:40
If I Could 4:05
Softly 3:09
Boss Man 2:24
Black Day in July 4:12
Cold Hands From New York 5:23
Walls 2:20
Affair on 8th Avenue 3:32
Steel Rail Blues 3:10
Long Thin Dawn 2:45
Rosanna 2:39
Mountain and Marian 4:01
Early Morning Rain 3:05
The Auctioneer 2:28
Unsettled Ways 2:13
Unknown 0:33
Pussywillows, Cat-Tails 2:50
Canadian Railroad Trilogy 6:37

Last edited by johnfowles; 11-19-2012 at 04:19 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #6
B45-12

WOW ! After 35 years in the dust - we get to hear from yet another Gord admirer and a rock n roll ICON of the highest caliber!

Nice job Eric.
For me ? I think you could have made it a bit more Clapton - but that's just a preference not a critique.
I look forward to obtaining this version in December.

Truth is - nobody can replace Lightfoot on this song - it's HIS_TORY and it is so much a part of all of our pasts.

But - once again - nice work Mr. Clapton.
YOU ARE A MEGA MEGA STAR !!!!!!
Old 11-21-2012, 10:25 PM   #7
Don Quixote

Nice, indeed.
But it also shows by comparison what a voice Gord had on the DQ album; his version is so much more beautiful, and expressively sad, and his phrasing is far superior. Clapton did a fine and reverential job with the song--but the original is still unsurpassed.
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 11:12 PM   #8
Bill

Just heard the track. Pleasant, but man he would do it so much better now...the instrumentation was kinda lush, and the acoustic guitars very "tinny" compared to recorded acoustic stuff of the last twenty years...and he has more heart in his vocals now. But a great song all around and well worth having.
Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 06:13 AM   #9
Andy T.

Send a message via AIM to Andy T.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
http://www.techsupportalert.com/best...r.htm#Audacity
"By using Audacity you not only can record streaming audio but edit it as well"
You know, I've been using CoolEdit for eons to record stuff. Actually I have an old copy of Cooledit Pro that I've used as my role as an editor of an online sci-fi audio drama. I much prefer it over Audacity. Anyway, when I went to go and "capture" this stream, I was on my laptop, which lacks a proper sound card to capture anything at all. Unless you use a USB sound card hooked to the headphone output... which is what I did. And then had to use the filters in CoolEdit to remove the resulting hum I got. The result was pretty nice sounding though.

Anyway, I agree with Bill, I think Clapton would do it better in recent years than he did it then. Nevertheless I thought it was a decent cover of a very nice GL song.

-Andy
Old 12-23-2012, 01:01 AM   #10
charlene

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/...rticle6644157/

DISC OF THE WEEK

Eric Clapton’s Slowhand at 35: Great music, to the core

Brad Wheeler

The Globe and Mail

Published Friday, Dec. 21 2012, 6:00 PM EST

Last updated Friday, Dec. 21 2012, 2:10 PM EST

Title Slowhand (35th Anniversary Deluxe Edition)
Artist Eric Clapton
Label Universal
Rating 3.5/4

There is no reason in 2012 to review a record from 1977 as if it were new. Eric Clapton’s Slowhand should now be looked at under the lens of how it stands up 35 years down the road. Also, forget the nostalgia trip. Your thing is gone, and you want to ride on – fine. But this isn’t about you and where you were at the end of the seventies. This is about Cocaine, Lay Down Sally and Wonderful Tonight. This is about Clapton’s harmony with vocalists Yvonne Elliman and Marcy Levy. This is about a rare saxophone solo on a Clapton track (The Core). This is about Looking at the Rain, a marvellous Gordon Lightfoot cover included with the reissue. And this about the best solo album E.C. ever recorded, rival-ling 461 Ocean Boulevard, from 1974.Slowhand – the semi-eponymous titling comes from Clapton’s nickname, which is a reference to the languid speed at which he replaced his broken guitar strings – is defined by his backing band. On hand was bassist Carl Radle, whose collaboration with Clapton stretched back to Derek and the Dominos and the 1970 classic Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs. Other Oklahomans included keyboardist Dick Sims and the shuffle drummer Jamie Oldaker.

At the time of Slowhand, Clapton was heavily into the laid-back approach of yet another Panhandle State player, J.J. Cale, who wrote Cocaine. In a biography from 1985, Clapton spoke about the sprightly trundle of Lay Down Sally and his attempt to find the carefree country-rock rhythm and sweet spot indigenous to dead-centre America: “It’s as close as I can get, being English, but the band being a Tulsa band, they play like that naturally. …. Their idea of a driving beat isn’t being loud or anything. It’s subtle.”

There’s much subtlety to the album, but the riff to the LP-opening Cocaine isn’t light-handed at all. It is a cast-iron motif, mischievously reclaimed from Cream’s Sunshine of Your Love. It doesn’t stop – it is used 42 times within the song’s three minutes and 41 seconds. It is on cocaine. It is cocaine.

It is hard to believe we’re not sick of Wonderful Tonight by now. But the electric-guitar ribbon is elegant, the organ is the most comfortable of bedding, and the arrangement’s touch is as beautiful as the woman walking with Clapton at that party. (It was Pattie Boyd, and when I asked her about the song recently, her eyes welled up.)

Next Time You See Her features a slightly ragged and subdued style of singing. The lyrics, involving an estranged lover and her new dalliance, are contradictory. “Next time you see her, tell her that I love her,” Clapton sings, only to follow later with “If you see her again, I will surely kill you.” The dude is in a pickle, right?

The freshest thing here is The Core, perhaps due to its duet nature. (Why didn’t Clapton do more of those?) At its core, The Core is a guitar riff. But it’s the album’s biggest, boogiest cut – solos (guitar and saxophone) flying crossfire-hurricane wild. Levy is a siren; the organ is juicier than Tropicana. The jam runs nearly nine minutes, captured in bold colours by producer Glyn Johns.

Extras include nine cuts from a 1977 concert at London’s Hammersmith Odeon, including five previously unreleased. Of those, the highlights are the 14-minute workout of Bob Marley’s I Shot the Sheriff and an escalating version of Blind Faith’s Can’t Find My Way Home, about spiritual confusion.

Of the four bonus studio tracks, Looking at the Rain stands out. Clapton reads Lightfoot’s melancholia well, his early-morning voice gracefully registering the insomnia, the minor-key reflection and the sense of loss – “looking at the dawn, knowing it’s wrong.” It is down and brush-drummed, perhaps not suitable for an album mostly up. Or maybe it is too much competition for Wonderful Tonight. It’s out now, though – 35 years later, window glass rained upon, absolutely worth the wait.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2014, 04:50 AM   #11
joveski

Default Looking at the Rain - Eric Clapton

dont know if people have seen this, but its new to me. a cover of LATR from Eric. sounds good too.

joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:18 AM   #12
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Nope... LATR is one of my top ten GL songs and this isn't really near as good as Gord does it. No feeling compared to Gordon. Music wise, many people could play that endless guitar part with equal tone and fluid. I'll take the original anytime. I could just imagine how Gordon felt when writing this, it is from his heart.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #13
jj

yeah… questionable arrangement, imo…. turned it into soft rock

certainly no vocal shortcomings… this could have been really great

sure, i agree it sounds good, it's certainly not bad
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 11:08 AM   #14
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I like it myself but I can see why it didn't make the album the first time around. I love covers in general particularly when people cross over genres or out of their comfort zones. For instance; Frank Sinatra doing "Both Sides Now" and "Don't Sleep In The Subway" always makes me look around for the bong, lol.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote