banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #1
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles
Default Gaby

Those who attended Hamilton back in 2004 might remember the English lady known as Gaby .
On Sunday night I had a very realistic and strange dream.
I was talking at a party or something in London or somewhere to a chap from Leicester (Lester) and I happenned to say that I knew somebody from Loughborough (Luffboro)
But for the life of me I could not remember her name (in the dream that is) later my subconscious mind found the name "Gaby"
and thinking that we had not heard from her for a while I looked up an old memo giving her phone number and contacted her at her home today.
She is actually one of 600 residents of Mountsorrel just south of Loughborough but used to work in Lester, which is of course in Lestershire (or Leics for short)
Mountsorrel is a town I visited in my youth when an apprentice with Rolls-Royce from nearby Derby (Dar-bee not Derr-Bee)

Goodness me I had forgotten all about that fire in 1959 (my apprenticeship began that September and my visit, part of my training. was not I think until 1962/3)
BasicallyGby has not been at all well and "had lost interest in the internet"
But she voluntered when on a friend's broadband connection to come here and post an update and I advised her to search channels on youtube for thomsj157 then lose herself in thewonderful creations of the Lightfoot Tribute Team (now up to 157 0ver half way to their goal of about 300. My more exact value I am still working on)
I also stresed that there OUGHT to be a great turnout for Massey November 2009 (providing as Gord said in May he is still standing)

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 05:51 PM   #2
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW
Default Re: Gaby

Hi John,

Funny you should mention Gaby ! I'm glad to hear she's alive but unhappy to hear that she's not been at all well - hopefully she will get better.

It's funny because just the other day whilst running (out on the street, in the cold, for exercise to be precise) I happened to think of Hamilton and her terrible reaction to Canadian Food, which I thought was quite wonderful. Of course there were other factors involved but since the two countries are so related I thought it would be like a hand in a glove, so to speak. But she was not having it, "too greasy" I believe was one complaint among many. Having only been "up there" twice I am no expert but I enjoyed everything I had to eat during both trips.

One thinks of strange things to combat the inherent boredom of 90 minutes on the road and my subject for 10 or 15 that day was Gaby at Hamilton, small world, eh ?

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 06:26 PM   #3
charlene

yes - so many complaints... I remember too.
I don't recall what she ate even tho i was with her a couple of times but I do know that no one else (all others were NOT Canadians) found the food to be troublesome..perhaps the tastebuds of an addicted smoker are overly sensitive.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #4
SilverHeels

I've never had trouble with the food in Canada. Most restaurants, cafes, etc. will happily 'adapt' if asked politely.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:47 PM   #5
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by BILLW View Post
One thinks of strange things to combat the inherent boredom of 90 minutes on the road...
Bill

if I can join in on the complaint theme, Toronto had rain, freezing drizzle yesterday...my to/from highway commute was over 290 minutes unfortunately most of my time was unproductive (spent visualizing an oasis-like urinal in the offing, lol)

if Gaby gets online anytime soon "hi there, stranger! and hope the new year brings good health and a few cherished memories of GL Hamilton-style "

cheers, jim (long live the greasy grill)
jj is offline   Reply With Quote