banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 03-29-2000, 06:20 PM   #1
Lightfoot678

Does anyone have Gordon Lightfoot fantasies. If so then post them here.

------------------
Look into his shining eyes and if you see a ghost don't be surprised......Listen to the strings. That jangle and dangle while the old guitar sings.

The lake it is said never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early.
Lightfoot678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2000, 10:46 AM   #2
Frank v

Well Lightfoot 678,
I'm kinda on a fantasy trip right now...

You could say I'm basking in Gord glory...

He's been everywhere.
On my computer screen..on my downstairs HiFi
On my portable everywhere...

Just how personal can I really get...
Well put it this way .
Some people need Doctors and pills...
Myself.When I'm down, all I need is a Gord tune.
I should get a refund from my national insurance and send it to Gord!

Let me tell you a few stories...

My wife left me 5 years ago.
I felt frustrated, cheated and angry!
SHE TOOK ALL MY GORD CD'S!!!!!!
'She once said to me' You think more of GL's music than you do of me.
I said 'KEEP QUIET, while I'm listening to this Gord tune'!

My children were raised really beleiving that Old Dan, Cotton Jenny and the Pony Man really existed!
When my son was questioned at school.
He replied to the teacher 'Miss, I don't know the alphabet but I know the words to 'Old Dan' He was around in 35!

A couple of years ago I purchased a brand new BMW sports car.
I awoke one morning and looked out of my window.IT HAD GONE...STOLEN!!
I panicked!Rushed down the nearest cop shop, brushed past the existing que and got hold of the nearest cop...I YELLED You gotta find my car you gotta find my car!!
ALL MY RARE GORD VINYL WERE ON THE BACK SEAT!!!

Well I hope you don't mind folks.
This is just a one off to lighten the mood.
If you scroll down a few centimetres you can read my new motto...

CELEBRATE LIFE...
CELEBRATE GORD!

THINGS IN THIS LIFE MOVE YOU...
BUT NOT AS MUCH AS A GORD SONG!

Frank v.

Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 10:14 AM   #3
midnightmisty

Everytime I hear "Whispers Of The North" I
envision Gord under a clear moonlight night
sky on a sled behind a team sled dogs gliding across the pristine frozen tundra. Whip cracking through the air, Gordon's powerful voice directing the dogs. Ididarod style. And he's got the beard and mustache to help keep warm. Actually, every song stirs
up some sort of mental picture.....
midnightmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 10:22 AM   #4
midnightmisty

Frank,

Your "keep quiet" comment made me laugh because for years whenever I listened to Gord and wherever I listened to him if my family made a single *peep* I'd say, "Ok.....
.... now we have to start at the begining
ALL OVER AGAIN!" and so we did.
Old 08-13-2000, 07:32 PM   #5
sandyo

Midnightmisty,
Like you (in another thread) I feel connected (spiritually) to Gord somehow. My fantasy is that we finally have a chance to meet, and he realizes that is it is I that he has been mentally connected to all these years and we have a reunion of sorts. (I'm still hoping)
sandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 11:25 PM   #6
midnightmisty

Sandyo,

Wishing you the very best that your hearts
desire comes true. You never know......you
really don't. And if it does happen and it's
meant to be, it'll probably happen when you least except it! (so hurry up and concentrate on other things!!!!! Like you could pull THAT one off!)
Old 11-22-2005, 10:01 PM   #7
Borderstone

Hey,Hey! Another great "lost" topic!

This fantasy is easy! Although I've already met Gordon,I'd like to get autographs on as many LP's as possible and then actually join him onstage and take part in a few favorites:

Sundown (Natch!)
Carefree Highway
Baby Step back
Trade verses & sing to the audience on "My Love For You"
If You Could Read My Mind
The Pony Man
and either End Of All Time or Christian Island.

Not a very original fantasy but well thought out!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 12:46 PM   #8
Robby Lake

I'd love to sit in for Terry(his lead guitar player)and play the whole show with him.
But what would make my whole existance worthwhile would be to have Gord do a solo perfomance of the entire "Back Here On Earth" album on his 6 string guitar in my living room!
The greatest folk music album of all time!
Old 11-23-2005, 07:44 PM   #9
Borderstone

Hey Bobby,awesome idea!!! All of "Back Her On Earth",that would be cool!

I'd also "fantasize" him doing the entire "Sit Down Young Stranger" (IYCRMM) album too!

P.S.:Library's closed tomorrow so,Happy Thanksgiving all! See ya Friday!! :D Gobble-gobble!!
Borderstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2005, 11:08 PM   #10
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Well All Right
I am going to fess up to two fantasies
both of which really come under the category of wishful thinking (or dreaming)
after seeing Gord perform 5 times in 1967-69 whilst redsiding in Montreal. then twice (1972 and 1981) after returning home
As a resident of the UK from 1969 to 2000 I had since 1981 became inured to the realisation that Gord was not coming over to perform there again.Fast forward to 1997 when I took my first tentative steps onto the information superhighway (now how "Carefree" is that?) and started an email correspondence with arch-fan Wayne Francis who confirmed that in his opinion Gord would never play Europe again. To which I memorably retorted that in that case I would have to come over to North America to see Gord one more time "before he and I get too old",which were almost prophetic words considering that I nearly kicked the bucket in 2000 and Gord in 2002.Then early in 1999 I found Rik's original Chat Room and met both Susan and Jenney. Jenney was then busy organising the first Lighthead convention around Gord's November 1999 Massey Hall season
So I came over met and confirmed that I had fallen in love with Susan then after a lengthy "holiday of a lifetime" North American tour (Denver-Lubbock (Texas)-Clovis (NM)-Grand Canyon-Phoenix-San Francisco-Vancouver) returned home to plan my future (imagine cleaning up a house after nearly 20 years residence then packing the residue to emigrate which nearly did not happen when I had a stroke in JanuAry and the following evening in the chat room whilst having resultant typing difficulties Susan saved my life by insisting that I call a doctor "what at 3 am on the morning??"
So fantasy 1. I ended up in the local hospital and mindful of a backstage conversation I had had with Gordon in November when I had discussed with him, his manager and band members the possibility of a concert tour of The U.K (the first since 1981...during my discussion with him Gord told me as he also told BBC inteviewer Spencer Leigh at about the same time "We gotta get back to Britain) I started thinking that my story of how due to my meeting a fellow fan in the chat room had quite possibly saved my life when Susan had correctly diagnosed the effects of the stroke then made me call a doctor.I realised that this story could be used to gain some much needed publicity for Gordon especially if (as my intention was to ask Susan to marry me) we could persuade Gordon to be my best man at our wedding in June 2000.
I furthermore fantasised of getting together with Gord on one of the UK television chat shows and indeed two of them did make contact and offers after seing my story in print but the problem would have been doing so during one of Susan's visits and missing much needed therapy.
The whole plan was not to be because I failed to contact Gord and in any case it was the aftermath of April's recorded Reno concert and his touring throughout April and May.Nevertheless I got a local newspaper friend to write up an account of our story which became my "15 minutes of fame" after it was published in three local newspapers then got picked up by two major UK Dailies (the Telegraph and Express) and was eventually spread fom London to Canada by somebody who had a newspaper contact in Toronto hence mentions in both The Toronto Star and The Montreal Gazette plus a Turkish newspaper and a Natal (South Africa) radio station website, several Chinese sites and finally a great two page article in a UK senior citizens magazine (Saga).
In hospital I regularly received phone calls from Susan but one day returning from a therapy session I was surprised to be told to expect a call from Canada. No not Gord (!) but Betsy Powell then the entertainment correspondent for The Toronto Star I know that she tried to contact Gord but he was away in New England in March 2000 but I know he knew she had called.To this day three of the online reports are still viewable:-
The Daily Telegraph one is at:-
http://portal.telegraph.co.uk/htmlCo...Fnemail18.html
the Montreal Gazette (very similar to what appeared in the Toronto Star but no picture of us at:-
http://www.exn.ca/Stories/2000/03/22/05.asp
And if you are fluent in Mandarin or some other sort of orange try one of the three Chinese sites still archived/viewable:-
http://tech.sina.com.cn/news/interne...21/20575.shtml
Since then I have been delighted to see Gord over here a further 28 times (17 this year alone we were making up for lost opportunities in 2002/2003/2004!!
Moving on to fantasy number 2 this was indeed a dream a few months back.
I think the plot was that somewhere Gord invited a group of us to a private recital during which he played a large number of new unrecorded songs then asked us to help him decide which to include on his next album!!
John Fowles
Thank you for reading these treasured memories of one almost as old as Gord
No rudery please from that young whippersnapper from Sydney

[ November 30, 2005, 10:17: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 11:21 AM   #11
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I think the majority of women on this site won't tell about their Lightfoot fantasies, or even admit that they have them!
Old 11-25-2005, 11:49 AM   #12
Claudia

Send a message via MSN to Claudia

Quote:
Originally posted by Cathy:
I think the majority of women on this site won't tell about their Lightfoot fantasies, or even admit that they have them!
You hit the nail on the head Cathy... lol
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 12:10 PM   #13
New 12 String Mike

Hmmm...

I'm in the Room Where You Don't Confess and Sundown's satin dress begins to slip from her shoulders...

Lavinder agrees to cast away...

Its 98.6 and risin' down by Bolder Dam, but no Martins need be traded off or anything gets frozen...

It is on 8th Avenue and her long flowing hair is undone and brushed down and we're somewhere between me standing by her side and looking at her paper and tin treasures...

Just from some of the songs I've always loved to sing and perform through the years.

Sometimes it has little to do with how much fun it is to play on the guitar.
Old 11-27-2005, 06:19 PM   #14
Kathy in Michigan

My fantasies would be to (1) actually meet The Man and (2) be able to speak...in full sentences!
Kathy in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 12:02 AM   #15
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

John, isn't it amazing the dreams and imaginations you have when you suffer a brain injury? Shortly after I had the aneurysm, Johnny Cash walked into my room in rehab with some fast food in styrofoam dishes. He looked pretty good for a dead man. It was the 1965 version of Johnny. And Dad came and visited me in my room just about every night, and spoke words of encouragment. He'd say, "You're going to be okay. Just do what the doctors and therapists tell you. You're strong." Dad has been dead for 4 years, yet his visits seemed so real. I'm still convinced that he was there looking out for me! I'd wake up, roll onto my left side, and there he'd be, in the chair next to my bed.
I had all kinds of strange dreams during my recuperation.
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 11:08 PM   #16
MaryO

Oh I have no problem with admitting i had fantasies, but they are (and were) a little too steamy, hot, wild, etc... and they've toned down some in my "old age" (of 50+)..... 25 years ago they were... well... let's not go there. It's tooooo private! Still love ya Gordie! m.
MaryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 02:02 AM   #17
davidgledhill

a lot of what gets written about on this site has little do with Gordon Lightfoot but an awful lot to do with the ageing fantasies and desires of people in their late 40s, 50s and 60s who remember a better time when they were thinner and not so wise - forget fantasies of Gord - it only adds to some huge burden the poor fellow has to live under - everyone has feet of clay. the songs themselves are enough. shoot me for saying so!
davidgledhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 07:12 AM   #18
Auburn Annie

POW! <giggle>.

Listen, honey, I've got a teenager who mourns the loss of *her* good old days, when life was less complicated - like when she was 10. It's universal and if 20- or 30-somethings don't bring as many fantasies to the table maybe it's because they're up to the eyeballs in finishing school, figuring out what they want to be when they grow up, getting their first place to live (apartment or house), dating, marrying, working and becoming parents etc. Reflection, including fantasies, requires the luxury of time to look back (and the years gone by to have something to look back on).

I don't see fan fantasies - at this point - as being a huge burden on Gord. He's been at this business and of such a stature for so long that I'm sure he long ago figured out that in a weird way it's not personal, and has since incorporated it into the cost of doing business.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2005, 12:16 PM   #19
johnfowles

Quote:
Originally posted by davidgledhill:
the ageing fantasies and desires of people in their late 40s, 50s and 60s who remember a better time when they were thinner and not so wise
Well All Right young David I am not going to shoot you down over this because by and large you are perfectly correct.although in my case I am fortunate that my weight is within a couple of pounds what it was when I left school in 1959
Firstly welcome to the Forum I see from your profile that you have already posted some 8 messages including your very intereting reminiscences of Massey Hall circa 1974
I you carry on at this rate you will leave current champion poster/poser Borderstone gasping for air!!
If you were 13 in about 1970 that makes you approaching your half century??
Speaking as one rapidly approaching retirement age I have to tell you that as you get older you will get great joy and/or frustration from looking back at highlights of your life and will fantasise on things you failed to do fully or cocked up etc.And the best parts of your life will be bathed in a tremendous rosy glow.
For me old fart that I now undoubtedly am by the time I reached 59 I had accepted that the nearly six years I spent in Montreal were definitely the most significant so that I was quite happy to sell off /jettison nearly everthing and move to the States.
My 1960's fantasy therefore would be to relive my May 1967 first ever Gord concert and this time compile a set list, take some photographs and try to chat to the great man afterwards
Now I will indulge myself by further reminiscing

and fantasise about going back to 1958 when I would this time strive to journey the 35 miles from my boarding school in Sherborne Dorset to Salisbury Wiltshire to see Buddy Holly's concert there on Saturday March 22nd 1958
instead I have to console myself that three of my classmates went
See my 1999 written anecdote at:-
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.f...b51e576d26e7ce
In 1999 my fantasing about Buddy and Gord led me to Toronto and on to Lubbock Texas
for a Holly fan's dream visit

Buddy Holly statue

and poignant moments at Buddy's grave
Plus the thrill in The Buddy Holly Center of seeing

Buddy's final Fender Stratocaster

And the famous heavy rimmed black glasses (the actual pair that he was wearing at the time of that fatal plane crash)
If anybody goes there could they please visit the gift shop and get me a 4-square fridge magnet

Finally David I note that you reside on Vancouver Island so I'll send you a private message as you might be able sometime to make contact other BC fans who post here including Ron "lighthead2toe" Jones "Islander" Richard Hkusam (also a teacher in Nanaimo, bc so you might have met him already?? we met him in Vegas in April) and young Kenyon Wallace (about to visit Ron in the City of Vancouver)
John Fowles
In these times of trial and uncertainty
I have thought what does this freedom mean to me
Is it just some long forgotten fantasy

[ November 30, 2005, 11:21: Message edited by: johnfowles ]
Old 11-30-2005, 04:55 PM   #20
Borderstone

You saw Buddy Holly in person??!! John...I'm not worthy to be on the same site with you!

I bow ..(or is it curtsey? :D ) to you! If there were a smiley for envy,I'd put one up here. Not just because you saw Buddy in concert but that you've lived in the time when the "greats" were "all" still alive and up and coming. Almost makes me wish I was a "baby boomer".

You extra mega lucky!
Old 11-30-2005, 08:32 PM   #21
johnfowles

QUOTE]Originally posted by Borderstone:
You saw Buddy Holly in person??!! John...I'm not worthy to be on the same site with you! [/QUOTE]

Oh do keep up Walter! I never said I saw Buddy in concert only that in my 1958 fantasy I would have made damn sure I went with my other three classmates to Salisbury to see that concert.The nearest I got other than seeing the Crickets and Sonny Curtis later was a brilliant Holly impersonator (Marc Robinson -at the time billed as "Bootleg Buddy"). However in my time I have seen a few notable stars including in no particular order Peter Paul and Mary, Del Shannon, the Platters, Dire Straits Gene Pitney, the Everlys (especially their 1960 UK tour backed by the remaining Crickets),The Kingston Trio,Ray Charles, Sarah Vaughan with Duke Ellington,Count Basie, Ella FitzGerald,Oscar Peterson,and in the front row of a Montreal night club Bill Haley. plus countless stars of jazz including Jimmy Smith Art Blakey Ken Colyer Chris Barber Acker Bilk the Dutch Swing College Band, Papa Bue's Viking Jazz Band and here in New Jersey Rod Stewart,Stevie Nicks, Fleetwood Mac and Simon and Garfunkel
Yes I have been very lucky indeed
john Fowles
It’s seems so lucky just to have the right Of telling you with all my might You’re
beautiful tonight

I know Im lucky too

Without two or three, just me and you

cause you are what I am

Im lovin you forever if I can
Old 11-30-2005, 09:23 PM   #22
brink

Quote:
Originally posted by davidgledhill:
a lot of what gets written about on this site has little do with Gordon Lightfoot but an awful lot to do with the ageing fantasies and desires of people in their late 40s, 50s and 60s who remember a better time when they were thinner and not so wise - forget fantasies of Gord - it only adds to some huge burden the poor fellow has to live under - everyone has feet of clay. the songs themselves are enough. shoot me for saying so!
Bang
Yep! and you read playboy for the articles and you really like the hot wings at Hooters!
You must be either 12 or have a perfect life and have no fantasies. Gord might have fantasies of fans wanting to meet him - you just don't know.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 12:20 AM   #23
Ophelia

Can't say I've ever had sexual fantasies about Gord, though he's very good-looking, but his older songs do remind me of a simpler time. As for actual fantasies, to sing with him would be wonderful! :D
Old 05-21-2010, 08:46 AM   #24
johnfowles

Default Re: Gordon Lightfoot Fantasies

This thread is a good read so I am just bringing it back to the top. any more fantasies anybody??

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Old 05-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #25
Kelly Davis

Default Re: Gordon Lightfoot Fantasies

My fantasy would be to sit in for Barry Keane for just one song ( please, just one !!!!!!!! ) during a concert.

I am a band director and a drummer, so this is my ultimate fantasy. I don't play any stringed instruments, so playing anything but drums is out. I only play enough piano to be dangerous.

I did actually play Roger Hodgson's (former lead singer for Supertramp) drum machine at a small club concert on a song called "Lone Child" - that was a big rush !!!!!!!!!!!!

I have already fulfilled my 18 year-long fantasy of actually meeting Gord. I have met him 11 times since 1999!!! (How many times is too many?)
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote