banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #1
JohnStinson

Default YouTUbe Channel for GL Covers.

I have used and viewed YouTube. I don't understand all the features of creating a CHANNEL. But whatever they are...why don't we create a Gordon Lightfoot Channel....then... we can post all 'live' covers there. We can then listen to all new and old alike....Maybe after that ...if they are really good ..we can pick the top 10 or so and create a DVD...or ...bring the musician all together at some point down the road and have even more fun...As some of you know, I play a bit and I know I enjoy both listening to others and also trying to improve my own renditions. There's allready a bunch of them out there that we can organize into one spot...Any thoughts???
JohnStinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 12:53 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: YouTUbe Channel for GL Covers.

is the CHANNEL option for each individual user as opposed to making a channel of one peformer for all who want to view it? ? - sorta like your own personal GordChannel just for you?
I'll see what i can figure out..help!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:32 PM   #3
DawnsMinstrel

I'm not sure if I understand Char's question or not but the way it typically works is that individuals who want to do anything with YouTube besides search for and watch videos have to have Channels. So if you want to comment on, rate, save as favorites, subscribe and so on, you have to have a channel even if you don't plan to upload videos of your own.

If I understand what John is suggesting, it sounds like what is desired here is a single channel that can be the home for videos of Gord covers by multiple performers. There's a really easy way to do this, and John, you could do this yourself if you like. You can create a channel (by the way, you can have multiple channels) and within the channel create a playlist for each performer. Let's say one for John, one for Kefera, perhaps one for yours truly, etc. Then what you do is, just add whatever covers of that performer you like to the playlist for that performer. This would not require any uploading because you'd be selecting from videos that have already been uploaded. In principle you wouldn't even have to ask permission from the cover artist because if you can view the videos it probably means they've been uploaded to be publicly viewable. It might be a nice courtesy though to ask permission.

-Tim
DawnsMinstrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
charlene

so a CHANNEL can be viewed by anyone, and have playlists in it....viewable not just for each individual who makes one..
interesting..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 02:48 PM   #5
DawnsMinstrel

Yep, that's right. The default for uploaded videos is for them to be publicly viewable since, if you think about it, that's really the main idea behind YouTube. It provides ordinary people a chance to "broadcast" themselves. It is possible to make a video private in which case you specify which of your "friends" are allowed to view it.

Once a channel owner uploads a video to his/her channel and makes it public, anyone can link to it which is why Jesse Joe and others have been able to embed videos here in this forum.

One thing: if you're a channel owner and you have subscribers, subscribers are alerted to new videos uploaded to that channel via emails and notices that they get when they log in to YouTube. But I don't think subscribers would get a notice just because a playlist has had something added to it. That's one weakness of the approach I suggested above. The channel owner would have to have a way of letting interested people know that new videos have been added to playlists.

There is a way to do this on YouTube but you'd have to use the "friends" function rather than just the subscriber function. What you would do is ask all subscribers to be friends. Then when you add new videos to playlists you can send out a "bulletin" from your channel to all your friends announcing the additions.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:10 PM   #6
JohnStinson

tx for the dialogue...looks like something can be done....to coordinate, compile, organize gl covers. ("Cover lovers)... Here's a fun thought... There are 200 or so gl songs. How 'bout we strive to get every song of GL covered at least once and put up in some organized way... as I said I know I would enjoy watching them.
Old 01-29-2009, 03:16 PM   #7
DawnsMinstrel

Fine by me. I have a long list of (mostly Gord Cover) requests I have to get out eventually, so I'll be good for quite a few of them. I've been breaking fingernails one after the other lately because of the dry weather which has kept me out of action for a while, but I hope to be back at it soon.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
JohnStinson

I think I did it... I created a Gordon Lightfoot GROUP on YouTube. Its seemed to work OK I put several different videos from different sources in it ...so I think its working ( i hope the performers don't mind me putting their video there. I can take it out if they don't want it there. Its a http://www.youtube.com/group/LightfootFanCovers
Old 01-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #9
T.G.

Hey, John, your website seems to be down?
T.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #10
JohnStinson

Yes its down... The bill came in to renew for another year and I forgot about it. So www.lightfoottribute.ca is no longer in use. At least for now.
Old 01-29-2009, 11:40 PM   #11
JohnStinson

Default Re: YouTUbe GROUP for GL Covers.

I just tried to change the name of this thread ...i hope it worked. Hey DAWNSMINSTREL...listen to your tunes...fantastic....really really liked your THE LONG RIVER. Anyway..
Here is the GROUP. There are now over 20 covers up there ..and I even put in real professional musician...ALISON KRAUSE singing SHADOWS
http://www.youtube.com/group/LightfootFanCovers

If people add to this ...it should be orgainized further by album or performer or something.

Hope you find it usefull and fun and enjoyable.
Old 01-30-2009, 12:36 AM   #12
Nightingale

Wow! Very good idea I love watching the different cover versions of Gordon's music so it will be nice to have a common channel for them.
You Tube is a lot of fun for music lovers...great stuff!

I am looking forward to viewing all the videos. Thanks for thinking of this, John.

Tim, start singing...lol. I have been missing your input lately and am anxious to hear what you will sing next.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 11:15 AM   #13
DawnsMinstrel

Thanks John. I'm especially glad you liked Long River. That one doesn't get a lot of hits. Ann(e?): yeah, I've got to get back to it. I'm afraid the winter weather and life in general is keeping me away from the "studio." I miss it. I'll try to be back at it soon, and thanks for asking.

Tim
Old 01-31-2009, 01:04 AM   #14
Nightingale

Hi Tim,
I know, real life gets in the way of all the fun stuff Just glad that nothing is wrong and that you will be singing again when you can.

I am going to take a look at John's group at YouTube and see what it has. I would love to find a video of Eva Cassidy singing "Early Morning Rain". The one I used to have got taken down and I haven't found another one yet.

I have lost a lot of my 'favorites' from the WB temper tantrum. I wish it would get resolved soon.
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Old 01-31-2009, 01:12 AM   #15
Nightingale

I am a bit confused. Is the group just for artists that cover Gordon's music or Lightfoot fans in general?

If you join, can you "favorite" videos and put them in the playlist?

Are you planning on discussing any of the videos that are there? I see that it has a "discussion" option but I have never been in a group on YT so I have no idea how that works.

Just curious
into the broad ocean..."

G. Lightfoot "Tattoo"
Old 02-05-2009, 07:01 AM   #16
JohnStinson

not sure myself. I just started to explore the different ways and options you can post, view, comment etc. Go ahead and try anything you like. My hope was that a Group could be used for anyone who wanted to view or post and discuss GL Covers.
It appears from what I tried it can be used like that. But I certainly haven't explored and tried everything.