banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 11-14-2004, 09:46 PM   #76
TheWatchman

The middle finger was for Johnny's record label at the time.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:09 AM   #77
gwen snyder

annie, just hold on kiddo. the perfect job for you is just around the corner. you'll see. until then you are blessed, enjoy your blessings!
have you thought of starting your own business?
gwen snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 01:15 PM   #78
violet Blue Horse

Yeah, what she said. A bag of Double Chocolate Chunk cookes from Pepperidge Farms got me through last week. Had this hedious mess of a legal headache on my desk all week, a dead car, bronchitis, a cold, problems with the home computer and a cranky boss on heavy medication. Without chocolate I might not have made it.

Still, I wish I didn't crave the stuff. It's an addiction and there is no cure.

quote:Originally posted by brink:
okay I have been sitting here eating double dipped choc. covered peanuts. Maybe sometimes it is a little too much. I wish though I could eat enough so I never craved it again.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:58 AM   #79
Auburn Annie

AND the saga continues [cue up "Another One Bites the Dust"]

This job was a part-time research aide in the county historian's office (genealogy, records searching etc.) It was only 16.5 hours a week, though the pay was a little over $10/hour - no vacation, no benefits. Still, it would have given me walking around money, stanched the outflow from my savings and been a current position on my resume.

I interviewed yesterday, with the county historian, one other employee in the office, the director of real property (the department falls under the county clerk) and one other - a tax map tech who scans documents into the county websites, I think. *I* thought it went well; they were looking for someone with library skills to catalog the collection, somebody familiar with genealogy (even though they have a genealogist on staff) etc.

The one good thing was she DID say she'd let all the candidates know their decision in a vey short time. I interviewed at 9 am and got the call at 6 pm. At least I wasn't kept hanging, but I was hoping for "yes", not "we've hired another candidate but we did enjoy speaking with you." Grrrrr.

This is getting discouraging, folks. Now I've got to go out and shovel the blankety blank driveway for the third time.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:06 PM   #80
charlene

I feel for ya - I too am in a quandary. After 20+ years at home I found myself looking for work and becoming a single mum all at once! I do daycare for 3 toddlers, i'm pushing 50 (quite quickly!) and can't get out to upgrade any job skills...cuz I certainly am guaranteed to never get a job with NO computer programme skills at all. It's a big dilemma and I sure hope you get your dream job soon!
then it might just be my turn!
lol
Char
keep on going for it!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 02:30 PM   #81
Auburn Annie

Well, as it happens I had lunch this afternoon with a friend from the hospital who will be 65 come this April. She's looking to retire in November as medical staff coordinator. Her job involves all the credentialing for new staff appointments, tracking physician privileges, making sure they have insurance coverage, continuing education credits, a DEA license, etc. We were discussing how I'm already familiar with medical terminology, I already know most of the doctors on staff (and they know me), I'm computer literate and know how to update databases, am very organized etc. The upshot is she's going to float the idea of me replacing her in the fall when she retires. After all, I'm a known quantity and burned no bridges when I left, so I'm on good terms with administration and always got along with the current Medical Director who supervises the position. I could 'shadow' her for a few months to get the routine down. I'm not holding my breath, given the way things have gone in the past, but who knows? Weirder things have happened.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:07 PM   #82
Sheryl Klein

Good luck, Annie. I'm pulling for you!
Old 02-14-2005, 03:03 PM   #83
brink

Aww, Annie I hope it goes your way, finally! Don't dispair though I have had this job for nearly a year and am totally burned out, you may have company again! Maybe this will be the one for you. you know you can use all of us as references and we will tell your possible employers how great you are doing for us with your research! I'd give you a 10. Here's hoping for you with my fingers crossed.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 10:08 PM   #84
Harmony

are yall talking about getting jobs? Moms been pressuring me a little, but I odn't think I need a job. I'm not old enough. i'm only 17.
Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 02:09 AM   #85
Janice

quote:Originally posted by Harmony:
are yall talking about getting jobs? Moms been pressuring me a little, but I odn't think I need a job. I'm not old enough. i'm only 17.

I'm not saying you should or shouldn't get a job, that's between you and your parents, but you definitely ARE old enough to have some responsibility and earn your own spending money.
Janice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 10:43 AM   #86
superiorsings1

Annie, I'm glad I read this (by the way are you from Auburn NY? I went to Skaneateles last year because I loved the name and the place is gorgeous!!)
Anyway, I work at about 9 cleaning jobs and consider myself self-employed. No one takes taxes out and I have no insurance, but I pay my taxes quarterly. I was offered a job interview for the state of NH mental hospital in housekeeping and I have never worked full time, I'm afraid I would really hate this but I would get the benefits. The interview didn't take place yet because of a slowdown in getting the application to the dept. (their problem, it has to be approved). I would like to go with my gut but what if I am turning down something that I may need later?
I love my schedule as it is but hate the dealing with taxes and if I break a leg I could be stuck with a wicked expense.
So I could wait and see what else is out there or take this if it comes. Hope yours works out. I have only done cleaning but feel that I could do something in a library or office. (Can't remember a face, but I never forget a name. 'cause I can spell Skaneateles!)
Old 02-20-2005, 02:06 PM   #87
Auburn Annie

Yep, Skaneateles is our neighbor, about 5 miles to the east of us. Lovely but (comparatively speaking) expensive. Lots of mansions along the lake. Did you eat at Rosalie's Cucina? Rosalie Romano was our next door neighbor for a few years, a lovely woman - my daughter (then about 5) used to invite herself over for coffee and dessert; I can still hear Rosalie laughing in the background when Rachel would call me. Her brother Phil built the restaurant for her - he's in the business, having founded Fuddrucker's and Romano's Macaroni Grill among others. Unfortunately she died of cancer not long after the place opened. But the food is great. And they have a new spa next door, Mirbeau Inn, which has won 4 diamond rating.

As for the job, I'm the last to tell anybody what to do. In my case my husband is working full-time and carries the family insurance so that's one worry I don't have. I don't know how old you are, how close to retirement or not. If you're still young, unencumbered (no family) it's easier to pick up and move. There's something to be said for paid vacation, sick leave and insurance. On the other hand if health is good and you like setting your own schedule - and the work is steady, and you set money aside for the lean times - you might want to stick with it for a while. If you decide to take the state job (if offered) you can always sock away the cash for the day you say "shove it" and walk back to being an independent contractor. Is there a local CPA who could handle your quarterly payments etc.? Check with the local office of the Small Business Administration for suggestions.

Also, New Hampshire has a program for the self-employed to buy health insurance.

"The approach different states take to the issue of how to treat health insurance for the self-employed varies. In New Hampshire, the self employed are allowed to purchase a small group health insurance policy even if there are no other employees.

Being a self-employed individual buying New Hampshire health insurance can be quite costly. However, there is relief from this cost through an itemized tax deduction. A percentage of your annual New Hampshire health insurance premiums can be deducted from taxes if you are self-employed and buying your own health insurance."

See http://www.healthinsuranceindepth.co...Hampshire.html
for more, and a CPA for tax advice.

[This message has been edited by Auburn Annie (edited February 20, 2005).]
Old 02-21-2005, 08:14 AM   #88
superiorsings1

Thanks for your help Annie. I have been sticking it out for over 15 years but I'm 45, still single and renting an apt. so I can't afford a lot of things. I do sock tax money away and am very frugal but figure I've been doing this long enough and would like to have a plan just in case and also for retirement.
So I'm leaning toward taking that job if offered and "know what I'm doing it for" as GL says in House You Live In...
Now as for good old "Skannie", I couldn't afford to stay there so I spent an afternoon there with friends, and stayed in Marathon.
I ate at the Bluewater Grill and just kept staring at the lake. You fortunate people who live near it are blessed. SO pretty!!
Didn't look like there was any public swimming. I went in Oct. and put my fingers in the finger lake. And I got my t-shirt I always wanted 'cause I like the name Skaneateles. We just stayed on Genesee St. the main drag, and shopped because it was raining out. That water is amazingly clear.
I grew up in VT on a lake called Memphremagog and there's a brick walkway along the lake.
They should put one of those in Skan. so people can walk along the water, but there are a couple nice parks and the gazebo.
We loved it. Fortunately it isn't really that far from me either (Concord NH)
Old 02-21-2005, 08:50 AM   #89
Auburn Annie

Yeah, the Blue Water Grill is neat - you probably didn't eat outside in October, though. Danny Riordan (1st cousin once removed) owns that restaurant as well as Kabuki (Japanese cuisine) - both as a partner with Bill Eberhardt, who owns the Sherwood Inn on Genesee Street, almost across the street from the gazebo. In the summer there are also lake cruises. Danny's father Ray owned a small place, The Curtin Hotel, in Auburn in the 40s, then a bar and banquet/restaurant (Riordans) which moved from Market Street to Genesee Street in Auburn taking over what had been the Hofbrau Restaurant and is now Daut's - under different ownership now since Kabuki and two Blue Water Grills - the other in Baldwinsville - keep Danny and his brothers busy. One thing that never ceases to amaze my husband is the number of eating places here.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:29 AM   #90
superiorsings1

Aaa! This is hysterical, you know all these people in my favorite adopted hometown.
It reminded me of Brattleboro VT and places in Maine. There must be a ton of lake-effect snow there by now and I think of that region whenever the weather channel mentions snow in NY. Saw a travelogue film about the Erie Canal and the barge they were using was from Mid-Lakes Navigation, they even gave us their calling card so you could call about canal cruises. Someday! And across the stern of the barge said "Skaneateles". I could hear people in the auditorium trying to say that.
It was great.
Best wishes on your job hunt, Annie, I must have gone right in your backyard last fall.

"Mountains are cool, but lakes rule!!"
Old 02-21-2005, 10:16 AM   #91
Auburn Annie

Yes, you were. They have a lot of touristy features year-round, though most of the tourist crowd comes for the summer months. A favorite "off-season" treat is the Dickens Christmas where they have people in full Victorian dress and character roaming the streets and shops of the village, as described below:

"Step back in time and enjoy the holidays the old-fashioned way with Dickens' Christmas, as the merchants and Chamber of Commerce of Skaneateles give a gift to the public for their support throughout the year. Plan now and join the village of Skaneateles in the Finger Lakes of Upstate New York, where President and Mrs. Clinton vacationed, for 10 magical days of a Victorian Christmas.

The celebration begins the day after Thanksgiving and runs every Saturday and Sunday through December 19th From noon to 4 p.m. on each of those days plus a special appearance on Christmas Eve from noon-3 pm. Charles Dickens and his cast of characters directed by Jim Greene of Scarlett Rat Entertainment, will interact with residents and visitors in the streets, stores and restaurants. There will also be Christmas carol sing-alongs at 2 p.m. at the Masonic Temple at 13 E. Genesee St, free carriage rides around the lakeside village, free roasted chestnuts and hot chocolate, and "storytime" with Mother Goose. Children can even visit with Father Christmas each weekend day from noon to 2 p.m. He will have special treats for the good children."

Old 02-21-2005, 01:44 PM   #92
superiorsings1

Yes, I have read about that and seen the pictures on the many times I've been to skaneateles.com. I'd rather be there in the summer and wish I could jump in the lake but I hear it's cold. Well there are always virtual trips via the Internet. Still, nothing like being there! Wave at the lake for me!
Old 03-01-2005, 10:09 PM   #93
catmanron

Hi Annie,

I know that as a trained Professional with many years experience in your field, you are keen to continue in the area you feel comfortable. But the truth is that you have developed many research skills that would be marketable in many fields.

For example you have the best skill of anyone I know in finding information on the Internet ( I do know lots of people !!!!.. lol ). ( none of us are safe.. from Annie )

My suggestion is that you use these skills to help people to find things, an area where this can be really useful is in the research of Family Trees. Many people, world wide, are now trying to find their roots, and working to produce Family Trees. Most of this information is hidden on the Internet, just about everything. Also things like War Service Records, many families have pictures of their Parents, Grand Parents on the Wall, and would love to attack service records and other information to the pictures. Most ex Servicemen never spoke to their families about their experiences.

Annie, create a web page and tell people you can research all of this information for them. I know you can do it, and I know people want this information, all we have to do is put you together. You don’t need a stuffy old library to ply your skills, do it on the Computer.

All the best Annie, don’t let your skills waste.

( I know all of this is none of my Business, but maybe something I’ve said will give you an idea, and we’re all friends and supporters )

Keep Smiling.. Ron.
catmanron is offline   Reply With Quote