banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 08-13-2000, 12:05 PM   #26
Tom

MNM,
Relax, the online police aren't gonna get ya! Besides, I think they give you a warning first before you get thrown in the pokey. LOL
I can't say that I've ever been a fan of the Statlers, but I don't dislike them either. As long as I don't have to look at the guy with the mustache and deep voice, (who's such a ham!) I think they sound really good.
And as far as the cloning goes . . . I'll take a couple of Gords myself, thank you very much!

Mary Ann
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 12:05 PM   #27
Mary Ann

MNM,
Relax, the online police aren't gonna get ya! Besides, I think they give you a warning first before you get thrown in the pokey. LOL
I can't say that I've ever been a fan of the Statlers, but I don't dislike them either. As long as I don't have to look at the guy with the mustache and deep voice, (who's such a ham!) I think they sound really good.
And as far as the cloning goes . . . I'll take a couple of Gords myself, thank you very much!

Mary Ann
Mary Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 06:22 PM   #28
fezo

Cloning Gord? Now that's a great idea but I still want the original! See Misty I never got over my infatuation.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 06:22 PM   #29
Silver Heels

Cloning Gord? Now that's a great idea but I still want the original! See Misty I never got over my infatuation.
Silver Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 07:42 PM   #30
midnightmisty

Frank v - you're too cool - love ya. So if we're bearing our collective souls, I'll vote for "leaving on a jet plane" written by John Denver, put in the spotlight by Peter, Paul & Mary, AND...the first song I ever sang in front of an audience ( yes, seventh grade talent show; MANY years ago) so it holds a special place for me.
midnightmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 07:42 PM   #31
sandyo

Frank v - you're too cool - love ya. So if we're bearing our collective souls, I'll vote for "leaving on a jet plane" written by John Denver, put in the spotlight by Peter, Paul & Mary, AND...the first song I ever sang in front of an audience ( yes, seventh grade talent show; MANY years ago) so it holds a special place for me.
sandyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 10:11 PM   #32
gathrb

I think I posted somewhere else that I would love to here Gordon do a version of "Wedding Song(There Is Love)" that Paul Stookey(of Peter, Paul & Mary) had a minor hit with in 1971(#24). It is a beautiful song that Gordon could make his own.
gathrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 10:11 PM   #33
Tom

I think I posted somewhere else that I would love to here Gordon do a version of "Wedding Song(There Is Love)" that Paul Stookey(of Peter, Paul & Mary) had a minor hit with in 1971(#24). It is a beautiful song that Gordon could make his own.
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 11:45 PM   #34
Chris M

Ilove what Gord and the guys do one stage
with "In My Fashion". They really rock the house! So I'm going to push the envelope because I know they could do "Pretending" by
Eric Clapton. Wowie wow. I do believe they
could actually improve upon the thing and
give it even more of an edge. Go Terry!!!!

Actually, I started this topic just because I've always wanted him to sing "Elizabeth".
Other than that I'd feel ripped-off if the music wasn't his own. After all, anyone can sing a song, but only one person can write it.

And Silver Heels, I do know what you mean...

Chris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2000, 11:45 PM   #35
midnightmisty

Ilove what Gord and the guys do one stage
with "In My Fashion". They really rock the house! So I'm going to push the envelope because I know they could do "Pretending" by
Eric Clapton. Wowie wow. I do believe they
could actually improve upon the thing and
give it even more of an edge. Go Terry!!!!

Actually, I started this topic just because I've always wanted him to sing "Elizabeth".
Other than that I'd feel ripped-off if the music wasn't his own. After all, anyone can sing a song, but only one person can write it.

And Silver Heels, I do know what you mean...

Old 08-14-2000, 02:24 AM   #36
Dorothea

So true Midnightmisty...
And no one can write em quite like Gord!

(I've finally recovered...)

Frank.
Dorothea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2000, 02:24 AM   #37
Frank v

So true Midnightmisty...
And no one can write em quite like Gord!

(I've finally recovered...)

Frank.
Frank v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2000, 04:51 AM   #38
fezo

Frank, I thought you were leaving? You're right, buddy. There is no one who can write like Gord. And for me - no one who can interpret vocally any song. See, I'm just a Lightfoot fanatic. Hey, is that where the word 'fan' comes from

Old 08-14-2000, 04:51 AM   #39
Silver Heels

Frank, I thought you were leaving? You're right, buddy. There is no one who can write like Gord. And for me - no one who can interpret vocally any song. See, I'm just a Lightfoot fanatic. Hey, is that where the word 'fan' comes from

Old 08-14-2000, 10:34 AM   #40
Rose

Yes, no one writes like Gord. Each and every song, when you read the lyrics, is a story by itself. It just amazes how the words come to him. I also agree with the remark made about IN MY FASHION. The band really gets into playing it. The song would not be the same without each of the members of the band. At the Majestic it was sooooo interesting watching Michael and Barry play their instruments from behind. Of course it was nice watching Gordon sing from behind too. (I am sorry I couldn't resist that remark)
Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2000, 10:34 AM   #41
sundownbuff

Yes, no one writes like Gord. Each and every song, when you read the lyrics, is a story by itself. It just amazes how the words come to him. I also agree with the remark made about IN MY FASHION. The band really gets into playing it. The song would not be the same without each of the members of the band. At the Majestic it was sooooo interesting watching Michael and Barry play their instruments from behind. Of course it was nice watching Gordon sing from behind too. (I am sorry I couldn't resist that remark)
sundownbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2000, 10:48 AM   #42
Dorothea

You took the words right out of my mouth,Sundownbuff,about Gords songs.
Can't comment too much about the band,as I'm not a regular at concerts as you know.

Frank.
Old 08-14-2000, 10:48 AM   #43
Frank v

You took the words right out of my mouth,Sundownbuff,about Gords songs.
Can't comment too much about the band,as I'm not a regular at concerts as you know.

Frank.
Old 08-14-2000, 05:17 PM   #44
fezo

Sundownbuff, tell us more about Gord singing
'from behind' - if you catch my drift
Old 08-14-2000, 05:17 PM   #45
Silver Heels

Sundownbuff, tell us more about Gord singing
'from behind' - if you catch my drift
Old 08-14-2000, 06:22 PM   #46
Chris M

This website is fantastic! It's like Disneyworld for Lighfoot fans. It has everything except one thing. And that is in
addition to all the wonderful smiley faces,
I would love for it have little red, cracked & broken hearts for all of the ladies who are
pinning away for our Hero for the rest of their lives. But then, this board would be so full of little broken hearts that there would no room for the gentlemen to comment!

Regarding the subject at hand. I have recently printed out pages of lyrics thanks to the website. And I have noticed that the lyrics can stand on thier own without the melody and vice versa. I'm a fan of lots of types of music, although Gord & his band are my favorite, far as away.... Most music cannot do that. Melody and lyrics must be together because the lyrics aren't poetry
& the melody, alone, is just elevator music.
This is just my very humble opinion and observation.

I've also designed needleworks with a likeness of Gord's home, including lyrics and one Victorian sampler with his trademark
(last time I checked long ago) roses and lyrics to "Forive Me Lord".No copyright infringement since they were hanging in his home. (unless they've been auctioned off to charity since his marriage. I imagine his
sweet bride had a great time redecorating!
And I'm all for charity auctions! Ok, any of
you guys end up with them?)
Chris M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2000, 06:22 PM   #47
midnightmisty

This website is fantastic! It's like Disneyworld for Lighfoot fans. It has everything except one thing. And that is in
addition to all the wonderful smiley faces,
I would love for it have little red, cracked & broken hearts for all of the ladies who are
pinning away for our Hero for the rest of their lives. But then, this board would be so full of little broken hearts that there would no room for the gentlemen to comment!

Regarding the subject at hand. I have recently printed out pages of lyrics thanks to the website. And I have noticed that the lyrics can stand on thier own without the melody and vice versa. I'm a fan of lots of types of music, although Gord & his band are my favorite, far as away.... Most music cannot do that. Melody and lyrics must be together because the lyrics aren't poetry
& the melody, alone, is just elevator music.
This is just my very humble opinion and observation.

I've also designed needleworks with a likeness of Gord's home, including lyrics and one Victorian sampler with his trademark
(last time I checked long ago) roses and lyrics to "Forive Me Lord".No copyright infringement since they were hanging in his home. (unless they've been auctioned off to charity since his marriage. I imagine his
sweet bride had a great time redecorating!
And I'm all for charity auctions! Ok, any of
you guys end up with them?)
Old 08-14-2000, 06:55 PM   #48
Dorothea

Midnightmisty,
Thats interesting,I remember reading an interview with Tom Rush, who said Gords house was stripped bare after his marriage break up.
On the subject of auctions I'd love to purchase one of his old guitars.
I'd bid high for that!

Frank.
Old 08-14-2000, 06:55 PM   #49
Frank v

Midnightmisty,
Thats interesting,I remember reading an interview with Tom Rush, who said Gords house was stripped bare after his marriage break up.
On the subject of auctions I'd love to purchase one of his old guitars.
I'd bid high for that!

Frank.
Old 08-14-2000, 10:04 PM   #50
sundownbuff

Dear Silver Heels, As I said the concert was just as enjoyable from the back as the front. Gord had on his usual red flowered shirt on along with his boots and black jeans. They are probably a size 28 or 30inch. A nice trim man is he. I think the jeans are levis. They look real fine. The second set he came out wearing his usual black tee shirt with ROCK on it. On his feet were his white, new looking, as usual, nike sneakers along with jeans. He continued to look fine. With the tee shirt his muscles looked really nice. Though I am probably one of the older members on this site (54) my eyes are still as good as they were when I first saw him in 1964 (I think it was that year in a pub on Yonge Street. I might be off a year or so.
sundownbuff is offline   Reply With Quote