banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-06-2013, 04:13 PM   #1
charlene

Default Ottawa Folk Festival-Sept.8-2013

http://www.craveonline.com/lifestyle...al-is-underway

http://ottawafolk.com/line-up/page_id717/
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Ottawa Folk Festival-Sept.8-2013

http://www.ottawasun.com/2013/09/08/...et-at-folkfest

There’s just something about hearing Gordon Lightfoot’s Sundown — at sundown, in the great outdoors, and sung by Gordon Lightfoot.

That’s the kind of summer’s end celebration it’s been at the Ottawa Folk Festival, where the Canadian folk forefather was shining like the sliver moon as the festival marked a milestone, attracting 50,000 fans to Hog’s Back Park over the five-day festival.

“Hi, I’m Gordon Lightfoot... and rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated,” said the venerable songwriter, cracking back at a false report that surfaced about his demise, a tragedy that would have only been compounded by such onstage evidence of life in the 74-year-old.

Kicking off an hour-plus journey through a formidable catalogue, there were clearly a few familiar faces in the crowd for Lightfoot, who usually enjoys the controlled comfort of the NAC stages when he passes through town.

“I thought we just left Ottawa. But here we are filling in for Neil,” he smiled, looking spry for his vintage.

Lightfoot was made a late addition to the festival after Neil Young pulled out, but by closing night, few were left lamenting the absence, especially after such memorable festival sets by the likes of Emmylou Harris, The Avett Brothers, Vampire Weekend, Kendrick Lamar, City & Colour and Patti Smith.

It was only fitting, then, in a festival full of such positive vibrations, that festival closing duties were left to reggae legends The Wailers — but leave it to Lightfoot to put the fans in the mood to sway.

Carefree Highway achieved that early on, with tender turns through Sea of Tranquility and the sentimental Heaven Don’t Deserve Me.

The festival wasn’t all smiles, as some fans still complain of sound bleed between stages — an ever-evolving challenge in the outdoor multiplex era — and Lightfoot’s set was breached briefly by a pungent sound check wafting over from the neighbouring Wailers’ stage.

The recovery was swift and complete, though, by Lightfoot’s colourful tale of A Painter Passing Through.

While the crowd wasn’t as big or boisterous as the night before — when The Avett Brothers put on a show for the ages — they hung on every word and subtle turn of phrase on Gord’s golden Sundown, The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and If You Could Read My Mind, with Lightfoot sending the fans off smiling with the gentle boogie of Baby Step Back.

With all stages in full-swing all weekend — three main stages and another three on the free side of the park — there was plenty to choose from for the discerning festivalgoer Sunday, with World Party, Galaxie Award-winner Mo Kenny, locals Go Long!, Sheesham and Lotus, Lynn Miles and Carolina Chocolate Drops among the closing night highlights.

Twitter: @OttSunHelmer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1297464441082_ORIGINAL[1].jpg
Views:	553
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	6265   Click image for larger version

Name:	1297464441252_ORIGINAL[1].jpg
Views:	547
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	6266   Click image for larger version

Name:	1297464441328_ORIGINAL[1].jpg
Views:	548
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	6267  
Old 09-09-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
charlene

gallery of pictures: http://www.digitallounge.ca/photo-ga...don-lightfoot/
Old 09-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

Looks like he was having a mighty fine time.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
lighthead2toe

Default We Love The Work-OTTAWA-Sept.2013

Those were the parting words of Canadian musical icon Gordon Lightfoot as he took his final exit from the stage at the Ottawa Folk Festival last night.

And what a night it was; beautiful grounds with plenty of open space to gather. No chairs unless you brought your own.

Quite chilly though for this time of year but it sure didn't seem to affect the entertainers. They pulled it off as if in room temperature.

Gord was brilliant!

Starting out with "Cotton Jenny" the pipes were fully open by the time he got around to the second verse and the "new day began."

He rolled them out one by one as the crowd grew and he did his work well.

The Gordon Lightfoot way as I always understood it and the audience just loved every minute.

He did all the big ones and from time to time I took note that he substituted a complimentary harmony note in place of reaching for the familiar higher ones that we would be used to hearing over the years. He did it in his own Lightfoot style and made it work to the extent that came as a goosebumping treat for guys like me. I was completely in my element!

Gord wasn't scheduled to do this show. It was Neil Young's gig but Neil's lead guitar player injured his hand and couldn't perform so Neil called Gord to fill in and it was on.

These kind of happenings are not unusual in the music business and based on the information I read in the Ottawa papers today it was quite a successful gig all over. Despite the ticket refunds re the Neil Young cancellation, once word got out that Gord was on to sit in for Neil, a resurgence of ticket sales happened quickly and fortunately I was one.

All is well that ends well.

Thanks for the great evening Gord.

RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 02:51 AM   #6
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J
Default Re: We Love The Work

what a fantastic happening for you! you are so lucky
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
charlene

Default Re: We Love The Work

Glad you made it RJ! From the pics and report I posted earlier Gord certainly seemed quite thrilled to be there. - http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=26948
Thanks for the report!
Ottawa loves Gordon - he seems to always play 2 nights at the NAC so the fans are there for him,, no doubt!
Old 09-10-2013, 09:20 AM   #8
Martyn Miles

Default Re: We Love The Work-OTTAWA-Sept.2013

Takes me back to Toronto and the Massey Hall in 2008. To see GL live after so many years of wanting to. Nothing, but nothing, can take the place of seeing a performer live.
Long may he continue... Martyn. Oxford England.
Martyn Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
buzzard

Hey Ron,

So glad you were able to enjoy the show. Thanks for the review. It's great that one Canadian legend was able to fill in for another.

Brian
buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 01:41 PM   #10
charlene

http://www.thescenemagazine.ca/ottaw...d-the-wailers/

When Gordon Lightfoot stepped onto the stage at Ottawa Folk Fest, he was greeted with an interesting combination of excitement and reverence from the massive crowd. Looking sharp in a bright red suit jacket, the 74-year-old Canadian folk legend seemed to glow on the outdoor festival stage—an interesting sight, as Lightfoot usually performs at more classic, indoor venues like the NAC. As he began to play, it was clear that Lightfoot’s nimble, guitar strumming fingers were in fine form. His voice sounded a bit tired at first, though it picked up when he finally introduced himself with a spirited joke: “Hi, I’m Gordon Lightfoot… and rumours of my death have been greatly exaggerated.” Lightfoot’s banter between songs stayed lively and crowd members eagerly whooped and hummed along to their favourite songs. After hosting such an eclectic line up throughout the week, Ottawa Folk Festival organizers made a great decision to end the five day bash with such legendary, guitar heavy, storytelling style Canadiana as Gordon Lightfoot.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hnMhlwWwks6iUUszPNMcuFiMoMcQHwHzUfX-IkTCrI0.jpeg
Views:	554
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	6268  
Old 09-15-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
charlene

from Carter:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ottawa-Sept.8-2013.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	129.0 KB
ID:	6275  
Old 09-17-2013, 09:11 AM   #12
lighthead2toe

Thanks guys.

Yes, it sure was an incredible evening. Gord was just just a- beamin'!

I remember at one point during "Sea of Tranquility" I looked up at the sky and this wonderful feeling of joy went over me. Like non other, ever!

No darkness; just "ribbons of light!" Amazing!

You're so right Lisa. Very lucky I am.
Old 09-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #13
lighthead2toe

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
from Carter:
Beautiful pic there from Carter. Ribbons of light everywhere. Thanks Char!
Old 01-23-2014, 09:02 AM   #14
charlene