banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 04-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #1
balaguy

OK first of all, I want to say that I AM NOT STALKING GORDON LIGHTFOOT! I simply have a desire to experience the places he has written songs about, and since life's too short, there's no time like the present, and all that jazz...

I have convinced my husband (didn't take much arm twisting) to take a cycle trip around Lake Huron in July. We'll be starting in Somewhere U.S.A., traveling down the Carefree Highway through the Sarnia area over toward Couchiching and taking the Long Way Back Home up around the north shore of Huron and back down through Sault Ste. Marie. I'm hoping some of you may live along or nearby the route we'll be traveling, and could give us some advice on what to see, where to eat, cool places to stay, etc. AND... last but not least...it sure would be fun to meet any of you for coffee, lunch, dinner or just a beer!!!
balaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
Gitchigumee

OK first of all, I want to say that I AM NOT STALKING GORDON LIGHTFOOT! I simply have a desire to experience the places he has written songs about, and since life's too short, there's no time like the present, and all that jazz...

I have convinced my husband (didn't take much arm twisting) to take a cycle trip around Lake Huron in July. We'll be starting in Somewhere U.S.A., traveling down the Carefree Highway through the Sarnia area over toward Couchiching and taking the Long Way Back Home up around the north shore of Huron and back down through Sault Ste. Marie. I'm hoping some of you may live along or nearby the route we'll be traveling, and could give us some advice on what to see, where to eat, cool places to stay, etc. AND... last but not least...it sure would be fun to meet any of you for coffee, lunch, dinner or just a beer!!!
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Gitchigumee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
bjm7777

Hey that sounds like a great trip. I am envious. You don't sound like a stalker,(had to chuckle when you wrote that) simply a devoted appreciator. We are all nutty about "The Gord". Have a great time and be safe. tell us all about it
bjm7777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
Fitzy

Hey that sounds like a great trip. I am envious. You don't sound like a stalker,(had to chuckle when you wrote that) simply a devoted appreciator. We are all nutty about "The Gord". Have a great time and be safe. tell us all about it
Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 04:07 AM   #5
Dream Street Rose

Gitchigumee,

I know you will have a wonderful time. We will look forward to hearing about your adventure.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:41 AM   #6
Gitchigumee

Yeah I'm crazy about the Great Lakes, as you can tell by my screen name, and I'm so excited to be coming across Lake Michigan on the ferry and then traveling all around the shoreline of Lake Huron on our Harleys. We have done trips like this in the past, and we're really looking forward to this one!
"There was a time in this fair land when the railroad did not run. When the wild majestic mountains stood alone against the sun. Long before the white man, and long before the wheel. When the green dark forest was too silent to be real."
Old 04-12-2007, 09:18 AM   #7
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Why don't you take a trip up to Orillia, Gord's birthplace? It's a little North of Toronto, east of Lake Huron. It wouldn't be too far out of your way, and would be worth the drive.
Old 04-12-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Gitchigumee

YES!! :D We plan on spending a night in Orillia, visiting Lake Couchiching and any other landmark I discover from the music! I will definitely have a photo taken of us by the "Welcome to Orillia" sign to share with everyone!!
Old 04-12-2007, 01:18 PM   #9
Ginny

In May 2005 on my way to Toronto from Vancouver for the Massey gigs while driving along the shore of Lake Gitchigumee (aka Lake Superior) and I remember passing a restaurant called, would you know; the "Gitchigumee Restaurant." Just thought it would be a bit of nostalgia if you chose it to be part of the journey for you to maybe drop in there for a snack along the way. Breathtaking scenery as well along that route. Ron J.
Ginny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #10
Ginny

In May 2005 on my way to Toronto from Vancouver for the Massey gigs while driving along the shore of Lake Gitchigumee (aka Lake Superior) and I remember passing a restaurant called, would you know; the "Gitchigumee Restaurant." Just thought it would be a bit of nostalgia if you chose it to be part of the journey for you to maybe drop in there for a snack along the way. Breathtaking scenery as well along that route. Ron J.
Old 04-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #11
Dream Street Rose

Hello Lighthead2toe,

Are you teasing?

Old 04-12-2007, 04:22 PM   #12
Ginny

Hi Dream Street Rose. The restaurant is for real. No teasing here, really. And yes I did drive back and forth. Put 10,000 km. on my van. Just a thought that came along when I read through the posts wishing I could ride a Harley and pull off a gig like that. Guess the vagabond within me still cries.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:49 PM   #13
Gitchigumee

I would LOVE to stop at a restaurant called the Gitchigumee Restaurant! Can you recall whereabouts the restaurant might be. Only trouble is, we'll be going around Lake Huron, not Lake Superior. However, we did make the Superior, a/k/a Gitchigumee trip, in the summer of 2005. And we did talk of repeating that trip this year, but decided on Lake Michigan and Lake Huron instead, and that way, I'm able to visit Orillia, a/k/a Mecca.
Old 04-13-2007, 01:45 PM   #14
Ginny

Can't recall exactly where it's located other than along the Trans Canada Hwy on the North side. The lake has such a long shoreline that runs by several towns. I remember it was in a sparsley populated area. I had intended to stop in there on my way back but ended up taking a different route. I'm not good at looking up things on the internet but maybe John could help. Cheers, Ron J.
Old 04-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #15
charlene

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sa...aurant&spell=1

Goulais River Area and Batchawana Bay (been there - done that!-lovely beaches)

http://www.foodinc.ca/7056492101/index.html

map:

http://www.soonorth.com/map/closer.htm
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 02:13 PM   #16
charlene

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sa...aurant&spell=1

Goulais River Area and Batchawana Bay (been there - done that!-lovely beaches)

http://www.foodinc.ca/7056492101/index.html

map:

http://www.soonorth.com/map/closer.htm
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 04:37 PM   #17
Gitchigumee

Hey that wouldn't be too far out of our way! Maybe we'll take a side trip up there...if we have time and the weather cooperates. THANKS CHAR!
Old 04-13-2007, 04:45 PM   #18
Gitchigumee

OK now that's what I'm talking about! I did a Mapquest and found it's only 21 miles from Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, to Goulais River, Ontario, and the now infamous Gitchee Gumee Restaurant. I wonder if they give free meals to people named Gitchigumee? I wonder if they sell t-shirts?

Another photo op I'll be sure to share!!! [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Old 04-14-2007, 12:39 AM   #19
Ginny

So there we have it and thank you Char. Some day I'm gonna go there. "The legend lives on" (GL). Ron J.
Old 04-14-2007, 03:22 PM   #20
louisemnnpls

Send a message via Yahoo to louisemnnpls

Guichigumee,
What a totally awesome idea to look forward to for a vacation. Hope that it is all that you hope for and more. And, yes, please keep us posted with photos, etc. Be safe.
Old 04-14-2007, 07:36 PM   #21
Ginny

Quote:
Originally posted by louisemnnpls:
Guichigumee,
What a totally awesome idea to look forward to for a vacation. Hope that it is all that you hope for and more. And, yes, please keep us posted with photos, etc. Be safe.
Hi louisemnnpls. Just wanted to let you know that I really like the tag you put on your posts from Gord's song "Stone Cold Sober." When I first discovered that song after my wife bought me the "Songbook' collection and I had the opportunity to sit and listen carefully to the lyrics in many of those tunes which I had never heard before, "Stone Cold Sober" was one that registered way up there on my classic Lightfoot scale. There's something in those lyrics that seems to leave one suspended, just left there with some kind of an unfulfilled yearning that just tugs away at the heartstrings. Sort of like "Oh God, I want this back again so badly; and can it ever happen? Oh, if it only would. But in the end it was just part of an era that's gone, and although eras don't come back, when you take that moment of precious, and just sit there and listen to the song it seems to bring you right back there and recreates the magic. A true power hitter piece of Lightfoot material. Cheers, Ron J.
Old 04-15-2007, 03:55 PM   #22
louisemnnpls

Send a message via Yahoo to louisemnnpls

Originally posted by lighthead2toe:

'Hi louisemnnpls, Just wanted you to know that I really like the tag you put on your posts from
Gord's song "Stone Cold Sober".'

lighthead2toe,
Yes, and YOU have captured the esscense of it most exquisitly!!

Have carried that with me, wherever I go, and always kept it on a wall in my office. I truly wished for it for my husband and myself. But, we live in reality, and nothing is perfect. There are times, however, when it seems to be as close to being possible on this earth, that it could be. We will have been married for 42 years in June
Old 04-16-2007, 09:11 PM   #23
Ginny

Thank you Louise. Having been married for 42 years obviously you've both "Heard the Angels Breathing" for sure. It's a proud testimony to have these days. It's also pretty cool to see how this topic has taken on a romantic twist as well in light of the fact that Gitchigumee and Husband and doing the tour of those lakes. There definitely is something to sing about in "This Land Of Ours." Ron J.
Old 04-16-2007, 09:24 PM   #24
Gitchigumee

Quote:
Originally posted by lighthead2toe:
"Stone Cold Sober" was one that registered way up there on my classic Lightfoot scale. There's something in those lyrics that seems to leave one suspended, just left there with some kind of an unfulfilled yearning that just tugs away at the heartstrings. Sort of like "Oh God, I want this back again so badly; and can it ever happen? Oh, if it only would. But in the end it was just part of an era that's gone, and although eras don't come back, when you take that moment of precious, and just sit there and listen to the song it seems to bring you right back there and recreates the magic. A true power hitter piece of Lightfoot material. Cheers, Ron J.
That is one beautifully written comment, and no one could have stated that feeling that I know all too well any better than you have. It feels good to know there are others with the same powerful feelings and reactions to his music. You are a truly worthy Lightfoot fan, Ron. Thanks.

[ May 17, 2007, 15:10: Message edited by: Gitchigumee ]
Old 05-17-2007, 03:06 PM   #25
Gitchigumee

Oh my gosh, I just realized that Gord will be doing a concert in Orillia on July 8th, and I will be passing through there on our cycle trip (spending the night in Orillia) on July 10th. His next concert date isn't 'til Aug. 16th in Denver. I wonder if he will be spending a few days in his home town. I would just die if I ran into him on the street.