banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-10-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
Blackberry John

Default 10-May-12 Westbury, NY

Nice start to the "10 shows in 11 days" tour... opened with 'Sweet Guinevere' then into 'The Watchman's Gone'... Gord said these short tours are like vacations for him and band leaving the 'other world' behind... a few audience members shouted out "congratulations" and Gord said "Oh yeah - the Songwiters Hall - thank you!"

He seemed to really glad to be there tonight... he finished the night with 'Blackberry Wine'... obviously in honor of me :-)

-John

Last edited by Blackberry John; 05-11-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Blackberry John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #2
charlene

Default Re: 10-May-12 Westbury, NY

LOL - well of course it was!

Sounds like he's off to a fine start. How many folks were in attendance??
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 05:09 PM   #3
Jenney

I don't know how many the theater holds, but it looked pretty near filled.
Gord started off this little tour sounding great! The sound was good, and considering my ears are all stuffed up from a bad cold I've had, that's saying a lot!

He started off with:
Sweet Gunivere
THe Watchman's Gone
Waiting for You
14 Karat Gold
Never Too Close
Let it Ride
Rainy Day People
A Painter Passing Through
Shadows
Beautiful (at this point he made mention about the new cd, stating it was from performances from "the turn of the century"!)
Carefree Highway
Hangdog Hotel Room
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
Cotton Jenney

Intermission

Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Don Quixote
Clouds of Lonliness
In My Fashion
Minstrel of the Dawn
IYCRMM
Restless
Baby Step Back
CRT
Song for a WInter's Night
Encore: Blackberry Wine

I brought my youngest daughter Emily and her boyfriend Andrew to the show, as they live in the next town. She was facsinated that people remained seated through the entire show. She also asked when to fist pump, and I replied Rainy Day People. She tried, it didn't work. I should mention now that BOTH of my daughters acheived the status in High School of being voted Most Sarcastic.
I got to introduce them to Gordon after the show. He shook Emily's hand and while he was saying, nice to meet you, He stopped and blurted out "you're beautiful!!" I couldn't agree more, and when I get back home I'll share a photo of her and Andrew with Gord.
Gord did mention the Songwriters Hall of Fame coming up after someone yelled out a congratulations. He says he'll be performing solo for that. There was quite a bit of chatter, and lots of I love you's yelled from the crowd.
I would say we're off to a good start! I"m sure tonight will be just as good.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EmGordAndrew2012.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	392.3 KB
ID:	5005  

Last edited by Jenney; 05-12-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Lisa J

Send a message via AIM to Lisa J

Thanks for filling us in. Can't wait to see the pictures and I can't wait til Sunday night in Syracuse. I will be taking one of my beautiful daughters too!
Lisa J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 04:02 PM   #5
charlene

http://markospapadatos.suite101.com/...stbury-a407395
Review - A+
Gordon Lightfoot Performs at NYCB Theatre at Westbury
May 11, 2012
Markos Papadatos

A review of Gordon Lightfoot's concert at the NYCB Theatre at Westbury, Long Island, which featured "Cotton Jenny" and "If You Could Read My Mind."

On Thursday, May 10, 2012, Canadian music icon Gordon Lightfoot performed at New York’s Capital One Bank Theatre in Westbury, Long Island.

He opened his set with "Sweet Guinevere," and immediate broke into "The Watchman's Gone."

"All right. Thank you!" the Canadian crooner exclaimed. "Don't worry, I'll speak in a moment," the living legend added.

It was followed by "Waiting for You," where the stage was graced with an orange and green backdrop, as well as the fan-favorite "14 Karat Gold."

"It's nice to be back out on the road," Lightfoot said. "We've done ten shows in the past ten days, because that's how we like to do it."

Other outstanding gems from this part of the show were "Shadows," "Rainy Day People," "Beautiful," "Carefree Highway," the upbeat "Hangdog Hotel Room," and the vivid "A Painter Passing Through."

He closed the first half of the show with "Sundown" and "Cotton Jenny."

After a brief intermission, Lightfoot returned and performed his signature tune “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” which was his highlight vocal of the evening, which moved many audience members to tears.

He continued with “Early Morning Rain” and the melodically stunning “Don Quixote.”

Lightfoot noted that although he may not move as much throughout the stage, he still feels the “energy,” which is evident in his soaring vocals.

Equally captivating were “The Minstrel of the Dawn,” “If You Could Read My Mind,” “Let It Ride,” “Clouds of Loneliness,” “Baby Step Back,” and he concluded with the soothing “Song for a Winter’s Night.”

After an astonishing twenty-six song setlist, he returned for his encore where he sang “Blackberry Wine,” which had a rock edge to it.

“Gordon Lightfoot was beyond amazing tonight!” exclaimed Nancy Venti, a long-time fan. “His songs are real and full of meaning, and to see all of his loyal fans gathered here after all of these years is absolutely impeccable. He is a dream!”

The Verdict

In summation, Gordon Lightfoot’s show at Westbury was a breath of fresh air. Even in his 70s, he still possesses one of the most distinct, clear, and calming voices in contemporary music. It is no wonder that he is one of Canada's best-loved and most decorated artists, who has been inducted into the prestigious Canadian Music Hall of Fame, as well as the Canadian Country Music Hall of Fame respectively.

There were no gimmicks: only a man with an extraordinary talent who was able to command the Long Island stage and silence an entire venue thanks to his dynamic voice, honest storytelling, and his prowess on acoustic guitar.

His four-piece band was exceptionally talented as well! He is one of the most versatile artists in musical history, and a true global treasure.

Concert Rating: A+
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:01 AM   #6
DellroyGM

See, Char, there's somebody that knows a good concert when they see one!!

-DellroyGM
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote