banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2011, 09:43 PM   #1
Borderstone

Default Late breaking E-Bay News Thread!!

Gordon Lightfoot - Live In Reno on a 2 CD set !! [eek]

I don't know if this was put out by a legit source or if it is a bootleg but this is an awesome product! The price is out of my league but if any of you want to get it,I'd get it now!

WOW!!!!! [smile]

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gordon-Light...item336f615424
Old 12-21-2011, 11:16 PM   #2
jj

Default Re: Late breaking E-Bay News Thread!!

wow, i'm not sure how to respond to the breaking news part...

but I'll take the opportunity to ask: is there anyone who actually can stand the electric piano and occasional celestial sound being added to this acoustic classic? ...same goes for the live CRT 'orchestration'...Mike's a wonderful player and just fulfilling Gord's desires ... sometimes I wish all subscribed to Barry's "less is more" philosophy

Last edited by jj; 12-21-2011 at 11:18 PM.
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:16 AM   #3
charlene

yeah but then they get skewered in the reviews for not stepping up..
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 12:42 AM   #4
jj

you are probably right and they shouldn't change a thing arrangement-wise (just for the sole sake of pleasing me, lol) ...i truly can't recall a critic ever given the band the 'what for' in a review

anyhow, there was nothing but bass and guitars when they songs were first recorded (until GG1 renditions) and played live, so just didn't see the need to fix something that was never broke

hey, here is that quote from Keane I was trying to paraphrase (poorly):

"When Gordon asked me to join the group, I was used to beating the tar out of the drums in the studio. Playing drums for Gordon, I think, is different than playing drums for anybody. It's really not so much what I play, but what I don't play, with Gordon. Every note almost has to be thought out and it has to have some importance to it and if it doesn't have importance, then I shouldn't play it."
Old 12-22-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
lighthead2toe

Aha, yes JJ.
I recall that statement, and it was part of an interview of sorts when the band members were given the chance to speak on just what they contribute individually to the "orchestra."
I may have a recording of it somewhere as well. Zeroing in on the date, I would say it was done during the late 70's.
RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
KHester

Default Re: Barry's qoute

From another great Lightfoot site

http://www.lightfoot.ca
It's from the Soundstage concert in 1979

1979 Soundstage Comments
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Lightfoot Soundstage special from 1979 at intermission, the band
members were each featured and here are the comments they made.

Terry Clements:

"When I was 5 years old my grandmother bought me a plastic Elvis Presley guitar with the signature on it. I just about went through the roof! And from then on I just always had the guitar. I've been playing with Gord now for 8 years. I like him as a musician. He has really beautiful melodies and then he says something in the songs too that most people don't. He's a real pro to work for."

Pee Wee Charles:
"The instrument I play, a lot of people don't recognize what it is. A lot of times after a concert, people will come up and say 'What is that thing?,' you know? Steel guitar is basically known as a country instrument, but playing with Gord has really taken me into a sort of a different idiom of music altogether. You know, it's such a fascinating instrument and so much can be done with it, that that's how I got into playing steel guitar."

Barry Keane:

"When Gordon asked me to join the group, I was used to beating the tar out of the drums in the studio. Playing drums for Gordon, I think, is different than playing drums for anybody. It's really not so much what I play, but what I don't play, with Gordon. Every note almost has to be thought out and it has to have some importance to it and if it doesn't have importance, then I shouldn't play it."

Rick Haynes:

"Well I started playing bass back in the fifties when there was too many guitar players around and I decided I shouldn't play guitar anymore 'cause I'd never get a job. I've been playing with Gord now for about 11 years and there's a lot of challenge in what we play 'cause I think we're all pretty fussy about what it sounds like and Gord's a perfectionist himself, so there's not too much room for sandbagging. But it's a real treat to work with all these guys 'cause we get along so well together."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 12-23-2011, 12:58 AM   #7
talbot10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
wow, i'm not sure how to respond to the breaking news part...

but I'll take the opportunity to ask: is there anyone who actually can stand the electric piano and occasional celestial sound being added to this acoustic classic? Gordon Lightfoot Early Morning Rain Live in Reno - YouTube ...same goes for the live CRT 'orchestration'...Mike's a wonderful player and just fulfilling Gord's desires ... sometimes I wish all subscribed to Barry's "less is more" philosophy
I usually like less but on this one I like the arrangement.. I think the Live at Reno DVD is really under appreciated....I think he sang great and the band played really well that night... compared to all of those awful audience made youtube things, live at Reno is a real treasure.
Old 12-23-2011, 01:31 AM   #8
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by talbot10 View Post
compared to all of those awful audience made youtube things, live at Reno is a real treasure.
yeah, i believe no video is preferable to low quality video/audio (just doesn't do the artist justice at all, or the entire vibe that they were trying to create for the live audience)

although there are exceptions where bootlegs are treasures...like char's much appreciated capture and share of Gord's SFAWN arrangement at Hugh's Room

i really prefer the MMM 1999 live vibe & mix to the Reno...but both are gems

thanks for the feedback, bill...maybe i'll try that EMR arrangement...cheers, pal