banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-12-2007, 09:20 PM   #1
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

J

Last edited by Doug; 09-02-2007 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Doug from San Diego did not post this
Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:20 PM   #2
Claudia

Send a message via MSN to Claudia

Just got my new CD "Waiting for you" yesterday. It wasn't easy to find but it sure found a good new owner I wonder why this one isn't available in stores anymore? Most others are and this one just isn't that old, hm...

After listening to it only twice, it's definetly making it's way up into my toplist already. Gordon's version of 'Ring Them Bells' ist just beautiful and I must admit, after listening to Bob's perfomance on YouTube - I don't care for the original...His voice is just not made for that song but this might be only my opinion.

I really, really like "Fading away" and think it would make a great concert song - instead of "Blackberry Wine" maybe, also a Toetapper - as he likes to put it, but a lot more energy, I think. It has some pretty long phrases which could cause a breathing problem though. But it's really great and my car stereo had to give it all...

I don't need to say anything about "Restless", it always was one of my favourite songs. But in my opinion, 'Waiting For You' overall is one of his best work.
So after sharing my excitement here, I'll just pop it into my computer and enjoy listening to it again while I'm trying to get some work done [img]tongue.gif[/img]
Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 09:35 PM   #3
talbot10

I don't need to say anything about "Restless", it always was one of my favourite songs. But in my opinion, 'Waiting For You' overall is one of his best work.
So after sharing my excitement here, I'll just pop it into my computer and enjoy listening to it again while I'm trying to get some work done [img]tongue.gif[/img] [/QB][/QUOTE]

Congradulations on a great find Claudia! Enjoy
Bill
Old 05-13-2007, 01:02 AM   #4
joveski

i think I'd rather press on is one of his most underrated tunes
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:50 AM   #5
TheWatchman

Lightfoot's great work is this CD.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 05:57 AM   #6
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally posted by TheWatchman:
You've become a man of few words... "but everyone of them words rang true..." well said Al.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 06:11 AM   #7
TheWatchman

Quote:
Originally posted by BILLW:
quote:Originally posted by TheWatchman:
You've become a man of few words... "but everyone of them words rang true..." well said Al.

Bill
[/QUOTE]The next time I'm traveling in southeastern PA., I'll make the drive south and treat you and your family to dinner, coffee or whatever. One of the advantages to my job.
TheWatchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #8
Boomer

Hey Claudia! When "Waiting for you" came out, I purchased 2 copies...why? Because I'm a nut I guess. A nut about Gords music anyway.

I also have two copies each of Gord's vinyl. 2 of those are MSF Sundown albums...yeah, I'm a nut!

"Ring them Bells" is a great song. To choose which version I like more...Can't do it! Dylan's voice is pretty cool sounding on his original. I think I tend to lean to favoring...forget it! I'm not going to commit to a choice.

BTW, anyone going to the Denver show? Tickets go on sale next week.

Tony
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:07 AM   #9
TC

Hey Claudia! When "Waiting for you" came out, I purchased 2 copies...why? Because I'm a nut I guess. A nut about Gords music anyway.

I also have two copies each of Gord's vinyl. 2 of those are MSF Sundown albums...yeah, I'm a nut!

"Ring them Bells" is a great song. To choose which version I like more...Can't do it! Dylan's voice is pretty cool sounding on his original. I think I tend to lean to favoring...forget it! I'm not going to commit to a choice.

BTW, anyone going to the Denver show? Tickets go on sale next week.

Tony
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #10
Doug

Tony,

you are nuts... But I think, it's not a bad idea to have a backup available. Somehow I managed to ruin my "Harmony" CD. 'Shellfish' is skipping, either because I actually wore it out... or, more likely, from abuse in my car. I have the bad habit for fumbling the CD's out of the cases while driving, but of course don't manage to put the old one back in immediately. So they end up as a stack in the middle console for quite a while. It's not doing them any good...So now I have to buy a new one but maybe should just make a copy from it to abuse it in my car...

I have to listen again to Dylans version of "Ring them Bells", maybe it was the live version what I didn't like too much. His voice sounds just gruffy and it was recorded a couple of years ago. I saw him in fall 2006 here in the Twin Cities and he more or less just shouted the words into the mic. Don't get me wrong, I really do like Dylan but even with Gord's voice not being the same as it used to be - he still sounds way better than Dylan.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
Claudia

Tony,

you are nuts... But I think, it's not a bad idea to have a backup available. Somehow I managed to ruin my "Harmony" CD. 'Shellfish' is skipping, either because I actually wore it out... or, more likely, from abuse in my car. I have the bad habit for fumbling the CD's out of the cases while driving, but of course don't manage to put the old one back in immediately. So they end up as a stack in the middle console for quite a while. It's not doing them any good...So now I have to buy a new one but maybe should just make a copy from it to abuse it in my car...

I have to listen again to Dylans version of "Ring them Bells", maybe it was the live version what I didn't like too much. His voice sounds just gruffy and it was recorded a couple of years ago. I saw him in fall 2006 here in the Twin Cities and he more or less just shouted the words into the mic. Don't get me wrong, I really do like Dylan but even with Gord's voice not being the same as it used to be - he still sounds way better than Dylan.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
Paul Farnham

Send a message via Yahoo to Paul Farnham

Has anyone heard Joan Baez's rendition? That'll knock yer socks off!
Paul Farnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:01 PM   #13
Borderstone

Claudia,"Waiting For You" is certainly,yet another,under-rated Lightfoot album.

When it came out in 1993,it was lucky to have even gotten a fair review in Rolling Stone. Within a year of it's release,it was in the discount bin and then poof,gone.

Good thing TC did buy two of them. Only in the past few years have they resurfaced in used record stores. That's how I got my CD,along with "Painter".

The album as a whole to me,is one 1/2 '70s feel and two parts of '60s & '80s. A good mix of past & present,which later resurfaced on "Harmony".
Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #14
Boomer

As far as the "now" Dylan, I've been to a few of his concerts in the past 5 to 7 years. I guess I go because it's BOB DYLAN. Otherwise the concerts kind of suck. They're way to crowded. The music is to loud and muddled. I'd rather listen to Gord anyday!
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 07:24 PM   #15
TC

As far as the "now" Dylan, I've been to a few of his concerts in the past 5 to 7 years. I guess I go because it's BOB DYLAN. Otherwise the concerts kind of suck. They're way to crowded. The music is to loud and muddled. I'd rather listen to Gord anyday!
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #16
Doug

TC,

when I saw Dylan here last fall, it was a first for me and I went because, like you said it, it was Dylan and you never know how much longer you get the chance. I bought 'Modern times' before and after the first surprise really started to like the CD. But the concert just wasn't what I expected. He was standing sideways to the auditorium all the time, didn't address the people once and his voice was just awful. He basically yelled and recited thy lyrics. It never was quite clear, why the audience went so nuts about that... Would I go again? Probably - because it's Dylan... :D
But I could never feel half as giddy as I do when I can go to a Lightfoot concert.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:07 PM   #17
Claudia

TC,

when I saw Dylan here last fall, it was a first for me and I went because, like you said it, it was Dylan and you never know how much longer you get the chance. I bought 'Modern times' before and after the first surprise really started to like the CD. But the concert just wasn't what I expected. He was standing sideways to the auditorium all the time, didn't address the people once and his voice was just awful. He basically yelled and recited thy lyrics. It never was quite clear, why the audience went so nuts about that... Would I go again? Probably - because it's Dylan... :D
But I could never feel half as giddy as I do when I can go to a Lightfoot concert.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #18
Doug

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:

When it came out in 1993,it was lucky to have even gotten a fair review in Rolling Stone. Within a year of it's release,it was in the discount bin and then poof,gone.

Good thing TC did buy two of them. Only in the past few years have they resurfaced in used record stores. That's how I got my CD,along with "Painter".

The album as a whole to me,is one 1/2 '70s feel and two parts of '60s & '80s. A good mix of past & present,which later resurfaced on "Harmony".
I still just can't understand why most if not all of Gordon's later Albums got so unnoticed to most people. Even Shadows, in my eyes one of his best work. Same with all of the following Albums. And clearly "Waiting for you" is again very strong. Was he not getting enough promotion from his label? Did they loose interest in him, what was it? Other Artists got a lot more attention and not always deserved.

He always toured a lot, promoted himself and people came to see him, loved and appreciated him and still...I just don't get it.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:13 PM   #19
Claudia

Quote:
Originally posted by Borderstone:

I still just can't understand why most if not all of Gordon's later Albums got so unnoticed to most people. Even Shadows, in my eyes one of his best work. Same with all of the following Albums. And clearly "Waiting for you" is again very strong. Was he not getting enough promotion from his label? Did they loose interest in him, what was it? Other Artists got a lot more attention and not always deserved.

He always toured a lot, promoted himself and people came to see him, loved and appreciated him and still...I just don't get it.
Old 05-14-2007, 03:08 AM   #20
RM

Claudia,

I agree with your sentiments 100%. I think the problem is called "age".

[ May 14, 2007, 03:56: Message edited by: RMD ]
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #21
GoofyGurl

I also think that "Waiting For You" is one of Gord's top 5 releases.

I had him sign it the last time I saw him. I told him, "When I heard this the first time, I didn't like it very well". He replied "It was under-produced." But then I reaffirmed him by telling him it is now one of my favorites.

This album grows on you!!!!! "I'll Prove My Love" is my favorite track.
GoofyGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2007, 10:29 AM   #22
Kelly Davis

I also think that "Waiting For You" is one of Gord's top 5 releases.

I had him sign it the last time I saw him. I told him, "When I heard this the first time, I didn't like it very well". He replied "It was under-produced." But then I reaffirmed him by telling him it is now one of my favorites.

This album grows on you!!!!! "I'll Prove My Love" is my favorite track.
Kelly Davis is offline   Reply With Quote