banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 01-26-2013, 02:04 AM   #1
Auburn Annie

Default Has anyone heard this live version before?

If Children Had Wings
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:23 AM   #2
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy
Default Re: Has anyone heard this live version before?

I've heard/seen it several times. It's such a beautiful song.

Cathy
Old 01-28-2013, 12:20 PM   #3
charlene

yep-this concert was posted before. I've heard this beautiful song in concert many times, sometimes when his oldest kids have been in attendance @ Massey...Always very touching.
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 01:56 PM   #4
charlene

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread...ht=1972&page=3
Old 01-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #5
KHester

Char, thanks for posting the concert again... It's a very intimate setting . I've downloaded it and watch it many times. OH how young we all were
Old 01-28-2013, 02:49 PM   #6
joveski

has anyone got this on a DVD from the youtube clips?... i can send some disks over!
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:29 PM   #7
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
has anyone got this on a DVD from the youtube clips?... i can send some disks over!
Err Umm I Think dear moderator that you were misled as I was initially by the photo/screenshot from the 1971/72 BBC conceret that comes up here to illustrate the youtube video in question.
If you play the ersatz "video" on YouTube you will find that it is one of a series of GL videos created by the UK based compiler who has the youtube name gordonlightfoot100. He has created a series of videos that accompany various GL recordings some of which are presumably live and he has used a variety of images. many being stills or screenshots from the wonderful BBC Concert first broadcast in January 1972 but actually recorded early in 1971
he used the same method to make a video of Softly
and Boss Man t
and the Wreck
none of those three songs were in the setlist of the 1971/72 televised concert
nor was If Childern Had Wings yet gordomightfoot100 used the 1972 stills in all four videos
also Wings, but that song was not recorded according to Wayne's comprehensivce Album Notes until the Endless Wire sessions in Toronto in August and November 1977 . so it is very lilely that it was not written until that time (albeit Btita had flown away to Europe with the Children in 1972 or thereabouts) and of cousre the Fitz sank in 1975 so Gord could not have sung about its wreck in 1972.
Hevertheless it is wonderful and worthwhile to highlight the two roughly 30 minute videos of the concert. and in respone to Mende there is a superbly done "proper" set of complete DVD files still downloadable using the BitTorrent distro system It was obviously made from the UK PAL television broiadcast in 2011. it is complete with a fully interactive menu.
I have recently been in touch with the UK based uploader and acquired from him the set of files to burn a similarly interactrive fully menued DVD he created of the great 1979 Soundstage PBS broadcast (the "common" DVD that used to be regularly peddled om Ebay has an annoyingly virtually useless "menu" with but a singular link to play all not the individual songs as my replacement has
IAlso Mende it is possible to downloasd those two YouYube Videos using the methods I detailed on my Oscar Perterson and Count Basie web page at

http://www.johnfowles.org.uk/oscar/
on which I recommend using the online download facility provided by
http://www.saveyoutube.com/

Once you have the two mp4 files (or have comverted the*.flv Flash Video files (dependimg om what format you select to download them in) you can use one of the free DVD burning programs such as imgbirn to burn a playable but menuless DVD.
I am unable to check which of those four videos are live as none of my computers at the moment can play a video with sound, Ii am assuming from Annie's initial statement that Wings is a live recording (probably from one of the known live recordings displayed on corfid duringn the last year or so??)s
Ain't Life Grand!!!
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
Doug

Send a message via AIM to Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
Yes, I'll be in touch
Old 02-03-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
Robby Lake

John,
Yeah, great video clips as pictures for pretty much ANY Gord audio.
The BBC concert predates "Endless Wire" songs by over 5 years.
I think that Gords' 1st hit "If You Could Read My Mind", had been released
and he was FINALLY getting the Public exposure outside of Canada that he'd deserved.
It had been almost 10 years of records and singles before he switched from
UA to Warner Bros. in the U.S. and finally got decent radio play. Prior to that,
(1969), Gordon made the U.S. Top 100 Billboards Charts with "Black Day In July",
but it barely made the charts, was a very "politically incorrect" song, being that the Detroit riots we're just a little fuel added to a big fire.
Beautiful song: "If Children Had Wings"; Bittersweet. Almost like "Too Late for Prayin'.
On a totally other note, if you enjoy Old Jazz Standard, please check out
our brand new cover of a Great Valentine's Day song

It's my favorite tune on the album. I Play the Bass and very lite Jazz Guitar.
Kevin Wilder on Piano [he's spectacular] and my wife, Minday is the singer.
I love folk music but I'm soooo happy to be introduced to this music!
Attached Images

Old 05-31-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

[QUOTE=johnfowles;180776] I have recently been in touch with the UK based uploader and acquired from him the set of files to burn a similarly interactrive fully menued DVD he created of the great 1979 Soundstage PBS broadcast (the "common" DVD that used to be regularly peddled on Ebay has an annoyingly virtually useless "menu" with but a singular link to play all not the individual songs as my replacement has[/quote]
I am shortly going to make the files to burn copies of that fully menued version available to Peter B in Illninois to repay his kindness in making me a copy of his own ex Ebay
DVD a few years back so anybody else who might be interested PM me please.
meanwhile
anybody in the UK who does not yet have the great Soundstage 1979 DVD might be interested to look at
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gordon-Lig...#ht_439wt_1055
more than 10 available from a peddler in Yorkshire,UK for the Buy It Now price of : £8.99
Postage: £1.75 -- Standard Shipping (Royal Mail 1st Class
with artwork proclaiming that it is Gordon Lightfoot Troubadour/Live
It lists the same set list as the video generally available from time to time in the States and the auction blurb does say it is from 1979

Further more if you wee to view the same auction on ebay.com
it is showing there as $14.99 with free email shipping from the UK
see:-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gordon-Light...#ht_481wt_1399

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2013, 06:54 PM   #11
Auburn Annie

Can't answer that John but Google Chrome tried to block my clicking on your pist because, in their estimation you are a known malware distributor. As you can see my Android had no difficulty with your post.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 12:14 AM   #12
geodeticman.5

Hi Annie, (hello BTW! long time!). I have not heard this live version before, from whatever year it took place. I do agree that the timing of this beautiful song, given the year of its (studio LP version) recorded release, would preclude its being in the BBC live concert as the others have said.

While Gordon has said he has kept many songs on the back burner for years at a time, (here and there, and no news to anyone there), such as in the "Songbook 18", and other demo'd but not recorded songs from any given earlier album, this theoretically could have been one of his older songs performed live prior to recording. But as everyone seems to be agreeing, not in this case.

Many of those of course, if not all, went back varying degrees of time. But listening to the "technology advancement level" of the keyboarding in particular would suggest, as would the nature of his voice, that it almost surely was not part of the BBC live concert (parts 1 & 2) on youtube. I'd have to listen through both to be certain, had no one stated with knowledge that it did not harken this far back, prior to appearing as a track on an album. But they did, and it isn't seems the agreement.

Since the concensus is that there is no way the song is that old, combined with the advanced level of the electronic keyboard over the roughly 5-year differential, and lastly the sound of his voice not being that of his '72 sound (IMO), I too would agree with everyone else that this can't be a '72 era live recording, and was not in fact in the BBC concert specifically. In the end, I'm simply agreeing with all the comments along these lines, with voice and keyboard "sound" being my offerred addition to the general concensus.

What a heart-wrenching song. Thank for posting it in the thread. Nice "talking" to you again too!"
Old 06-01-2013, 01:59 AM   #13
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Annie View Post
Can't answer that John but Google Chrome tried to block my clicking on your pist because, in their estimation you are a known malware distributor. As you can see my Android had no difficulty with your post.
I get that message when going to john's site too as do several others who have contacted me.

John - the malware warnings come up for johnfowles.org.uk when clicking on your links in your posts.