banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 06-05-2002, 02:40 AM   #1
horizonfound

(This is my first post!) I ran across tablature for "Don Quixote," by Mathew Fifer, on the Olga site;and, by following threads, eventually found myself here! Does anyone know Mathew's current email address? I've been a devoted guitarist for many years. I have worked out accurate tab for Red Shea's part in "Don Quixote." I've also combined this with Gordon's for a single guitar arrangement. Mathew wrote:" I can't get the rhythm right and I don't like Terry's way so much." Well, the reason for this is probably the overlap of Gordon's bass notes in both channels (these are not part of Red's instrumental...nevertheless, you can combine the two parts with patience!);and, secondly, Red's part is not played in standard tuning and he capos higher than Gordon. I'm still working on "Ode To Big Blue." Gordon's part is very simple (and Terry's is as well). Red's part is giving me fits! Can anyone tell me: Has Red revealed his tuning for this song? In the liner notes for the album his credit reads,in part"lead acoustic high string guitar." In Nashville, high string guitar usually refers to Nashville tuning: The two high strings are in standard tuning while the remaining strings are tuned an octave above standard (i.e. the upper half of a 12 string guitar). Perhaps "Blue" is in Nashville tuning. Soon,I'll have to explore this tuning possibility (unless someone has solved the mystery first!). Sorry to hear that so many people hold this song in such low regard;nevertheless, it's one of his best
efforts. The production is very clever. You feel as if you're circumnavigating the globe along with this great and noble animal...the music evokes the endless rhythm of the seas...splashes of harmonics and low notes that sound like the great whale songs. Someone complained that "Blue" was not poignant like some other Lightfoot efforts. I'd like to suggest that it wasn't intended to be...and Ode is defined as "a lyric poem full of noble feeling expressed with dignity." So, for those of you who are not guitarists (we all love this song) and have never cared for "Ode To Big Blue," I hope you'll give this well-deserving song another listen!
Warmest Regards,
Kendall
horizonfound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 07:25 AM   #2
joveski

can you post the tab for DQ that red plays here in text format please?
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 03:31 PM   #3
horizonfound

Hello! Actually, I was hoping to post Red's part in "Don Quixote." I wanted to discuss how to go about doing this with Mathew. I've never posted tab in any format and I was hoping he could tell me, or direct me, how to do this. If anyone can help me here, I'll happily post the tab.
Thanks,
Kendall
Old 06-05-2002, 05:33 PM   #4
joveski

tab goes like this:

E--2-------
B--3--------
G--2-------
D--0--------
A-----------
E---------
for a D chord.

or for a riff:
E--3/5----- (slide from fret 3 to 5)
B--3h5----- (hammer from 3 to 5 - or put a "p" for pull off from 5 to 3)
G--3b5----- (strike fret 3 and bebd note up to fret 5) ect
D-----------
A------------
E------------
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 08:54 PM   #5
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I'm pretty sure he knows what tab is, seeing he mentioned he has written tab for DQ. What I'm wondering is, can he post it as an attachment on this group? I tried posting tab here once in text format and it scrambled when I posted it. I ended up re-posting it with an html code before and after the message. It stopped it from scrambling, but now I can't remember what the html code is.
I also play DQ up higher on the neck than what Terry plays. I capo it on the fourth and play Red's part in a G progression, standard tuning.

Cathy
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2002, 09:22 PM   #6
horizonfound

Thank you Cathy! You've expressed my concerns perfectly. I'm not a computer maven;however, I thought that Mathew (wherever he may be !) might tell me how he got around the "scrambling" problem as he has posted Gordon's part on Olga (and it shows up on other sites as well). I need to know how he put the tab into a text format.
By the way, while Red's part is not played in standard tuning, it IS capoed on the fourth fret! Good work! I'd appreciate any advice!
Old 06-05-2002, 10:11 PM   #7
Jenney

To the best of my knowledge, Matt Fifer is living on the East Coast now, but I don't know his email address. He doesn't maintain his web site as it is hosted by the company he used to work for, and he doesn't have access to it anymore. You might try emailing Wayne Francis, he may know Matt's address. His web site is http://www.lightfoot.ca/

Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2002, 07:18 AM   #8
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

Horizonfound,
Try saving your tab as a text file, (.txt), then copy and paste the text file into the message field here. On a blank line before the tab, type <code>
On a blank line after the tab type </code>
I think this is what I did to keep mine from scrambling when I posted chords and strumming pattern for Sundown for a new guitarist awhile back.

Cathy
Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2002, 02:27 PM   #9
wattsdmatter

I find this discussion interesting. Can anybody tell me why, when I 'Select All' in Edit, Copy. Pull up Notepad, then Paste. I get the text but not the 'tab' Thanks.
wattsdmatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2002, 10:53 PM   #10
horizonfound

Happy Father's Day to one and all! I emailed copies of my tab for "Don Quixote" to Cathy and Watchman. Hopefully, Watchman can figure out how to post it on this site! When it's posted, I hope to hear from some of our members! Take care everyone,
Kendall