banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 01-03-2010, 03:32 PM   #1
brink-

Default Shout Out

I am picking up a rescue puppy today from Alb. NM. He is getting a first class transport from a non-profit organization called Pilots and Paws (www.pilotsnpaws.org). Our little guy, Dexter, is flying with Bill. Bill left Denver at noon, will go to Albuquerque, pick up Dexter and bring him back to Denver around 4 or 5. They don't charge a thing and a dog who would be euthanised gets another chance. What a nice bunch of folks.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
charlene

Default Re: Shout Out

you're a good bloke Shorty..
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 07:03 PM   #3
Moosedog

That's great, Deb! You know what a softie I am for those rescue dogs.

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
Jesse Joe

Very nice of you Deb ! We need more folks like you & Bob Barker.

Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 08:45 PM   #5
formerlylavender

They are a nice bunch if they do all that especially with no charge. They certainly do deserve a shout out!
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:10 AM   #6
brink-

Dexter has arrived, he is an adorable one. There is no charge to anyone for the flight. Bill's daughter held Dexter the whole trip and fell in love with him. So it may end up he transported his own dog. Dexter goes to the vet tomorrow, I told Bill to think on it overnight and let me know tomorrow if he still wants him.
You betcha Vickie, they make the best pets. The only problem with these dogs are the owners they had.

Great picture JJoe.
Old 01-04-2010, 02:19 AM   #7
brink-

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
you're a good bloke Shorty..
Shorty???? LOL

I'll send Lisa a picture of Dexter. You know pilots and paws flies all over.....
Old 01-04-2010, 06:51 AM   #8
Jesse Joe

Here is a great story about 'man's (people's) best friend' !

Im sure many of you saw it on the news last night but I still think it was worth posting here...

Too bad for the cougar, but here is a good brave dog.

http://timestranscript.canadaeast.co...article/908715

Family dog saves boy from cougar

Published Monday January 4th, 2010

11-year-old boy was outside collecting firewood when wild animal charged

BOSTON BAR, B.C. - The way Lloyd Forman sees it, his 11-year-old grandson was saved by an Angel.

That's the golden retriever who protected young Austin from a charging cougar during a bloody, against-all-odds confrontation Saturday in the tiny British Columbia community of Boston Bar, about 200 kilometres northeast of Vancouver.

"The cougar came (from) about five feet away and made a big jump (at Austin)," Forman said yesterday in an interview.
"The dog jumped in between and took on the cougar."

Austin was in his family's backyard collecting firewood with his dog when the cougar appeared.

The cougar charged toward the boy, but Angel stepped in and fought off the large cat while other family members frantically called for help.
Forman, 72, was sitting down to a bowl of homemade borscht soup when the telephone rang. It was the boy's mother.

"They phoned here; the cougar was eating the dog alive, they figured. I said, 'Phone 911,'" Forman recalled. "Fortunately, he (the nearest RCMP officer) was a minute away."
When the officer arrived, the cougar had Angel under the porch with its teeth around the dog's neck. The Mountie fired several shots, killing the cougar.

The dog was injured, but is expected to recover. Austin was unhurt.
"He's doing pretty good -- we're very fortunate, the dog's injured and that's it," said Forman. "It's a pretty traumatic experience. Of course, they're all pretty freaked out."

Sgt. Peter Thiessen of the RCMP said there's no question Austin's encounter with the cougar would have been a lot worse had it not been for his dog.
"The boy was in severe risk," said Thiessen.

"That cougar was advancing aggressively to both of them, and the dog intervened and got between the animal and the young child and the risk was extremely high."

Thiessen said conservation officials will look into what happened and why the cougar came so close to people.
He said it's uncommon -- but not unheard of -- for cougars to go after people.

"We have seen cougar attacks in the lower part of British Columbia," he said. "It's not something that's common, but it is something that has occurred."
Old 01-04-2010, 07:58 AM   #9
Jesse Joe

Old 01-05-2010, 09:26 AM   #10
brink-

Great story, and the dog survives!! Love stories like that.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:41 AM   #11
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by brink- View Post
Shorty???? LOL

I'll send Lisa a picture of Dexter. You know pilots and paws flies all over.....
I'm gonna smack you...
lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Great story, and the dog survives!! Love stories like that.

I knew you (animal lover) would love this story, and this is a follow up...

Dog doing OK but was very lucky.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #13
brink-

Thanks for posting that one, I hadn't seen a follow up to it.
Old 02-07-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
timetraveler

Brink, you are a one in a million for getting that puppy. The pup will bless you with "puppy sugar" every day for that.
Old 02-09-2010, 05:09 PM   #15
lighthead2toe

Quote:
I am picking up a rescue puppy today from Alb. NM. He is getting a first class transport from a non-profit organization called Pilots and Paws (www.pilotsnpaws.org). Our little guy, Dexter, is flying with Bill. Bill left Denver at noon, will go to Albuquerque, pick up Dexter and bring him back to Denver around 4 or 5. They don't charge a thing and a dog who would be euthanised gets another chance. What a nice bunch of folks.
Aye, yes, good bloke you really are there brink!

Love that name "Dexter." You're probably aware that was the name of Red Shea's dog as well.

Dogs seemed to be a highlight in a few of Gord's songs. There was as I recall: "Piddling Pete," "Old Blue" and an interesting tune that was one of the Warner Bros. unreleased songs called "An Old Friend." That's a cool one. The lyrics are available on Wayne Francis' site.

Dogs were also referenced in other tunes like "The General Store" and "Divorce Country Style" and probably others as well.

Love those canines!

RJ.
lighthead2toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 05:42 PM   #16
timetraveler

I can understand loving dogs. We have two chihuahua mixes, Larry & Charlie, and you couldn't ask for sweeter, more social animals anywhere. When it comes to meeting strangers, they'll bark their heads off as if they're going to eat you alive, but after they've had a few minutes to get used to your scent, they'll start bugging you for attention & get excited when they get it. SSo far, their worst habit is looking out the front window & barking at the birds in the neighbourhood, as well as one of our neighbours who lives across the street from us. They also are not too wild about the trash man coming to haul the trash away every Friday, as well as barking at the mailman or delivery man from UPS. Of course, I've been watching what they do when they see a delivery man, and I think they may actually LIKE him, that they want him to stay & play. We've only had one person enter our home that our dogs outright DON'T like, and needless to say, that person had sense enough to not come back.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
timetraveler

I just had to holler at some people that make sense, as I read an article in my local paper that would break your heart, as well as outrage many. It has to do with a man who had left final instructions about what to do with his healthy 2 year old Yorky. The dirty bird wanted to be buried with his dog, so his final instructions were that he wanted the dog to be euthanized so that he could be buried with him. I feel sorry for the vet who was pressured into doing the deed, as he had tried begging the deacesed man's family to let the dog live. It's no wonder that the poor vet won't show his face in public or talk to anyone. The poor man must be terribly traumatized. I know that I would be.