banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 10-27-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
charlene

Default Wenatchee WA article

http://www.wenatcheeworld.com/news/2...don-lightfoot/

SundownerQuietly influential, Gordon Lightfoot creeps into arena show
.Post a commentPrint By Jefferson Robbins
World staff writer

Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Songs of heartbreak and history intertwine throughout the troubadour’s catalog. He’ll perform Tuesday at Town Toyota Center in Wenatchee.
A soft-spoken creator so withdrawn from public scrutiny that he was recently declared dead, Gordon Lightfoot has influenced the shape of folk-pop for 45 years.

As a songwriter, the Canadian artist had songs appropriated by Peter, Paul and Mary, Bob Dylan, Johnny Cash and Elvis Presley. Something in his forthright, shimmering compositions spoke to them, from “For Lovin’ Me” to “Ten Degrees and Getting Colder” to “Sundown.”

If You GoWhat: Gordon Lightfoot, folk

Where: Town Toyota Center, 1300 Walla Walla Ave.

When: 7:30 p.m. Tuesday

Cost: $41, $51, $61

Tickets and information: 667-7847 or towntoyota center.com

Lightfoot, 71, steps into the Town Toyota Center on Tuesday night while passing up a request for a Wenatchee World interview. “He rarely does interviews, particularly while on tour,” said his press agent Victoria Lord. Nor does the musician keep an official website, although news about his doings — like a forthcoming children’s book, featuring the lyrics of his epic “Canadian Railroad Trilogy” with painted illustrations by Ian Wallace, due in the U.S. in December — does percolate out to fan sites and newspapers.

Born in Orillia, Ontario, Lightfoot was trained to music from an early age. He was tutored in choir and appeared on local variety shows, and first played in Canada’s legendary Massey Hall at age 12, after winning a voice competition. He later taught himself fingerstyle folk guitar, and spent a few years studying music in California before returning to Toronto to stay.

Jaunts with fellow folkies to Europe and elsewhere led other artists to adopt his songs, like Ian and Sylvia’s recording of Lightfoot’s “Early Morning Rain” in 1964. The next year he came into the stable of Bob Dylan’s manager Albert Grossman, which led to his 1966 debut album “Lightfoot!”

On the record“Lightfoot!” (1966)

“The Way I Feel” (1967)

“Did She Mention My Name?” (1968)

“Back Here on Earth” (1968)

“Sit Down Young Stranger” (1970)

“Summer Side of Life” (1971)

“Don Quixote” (1972)

“Sundown” (1974)

“Cold on the Shoulder” (1975)

“Summertime Dream” (1976)

“Endless Wire” (1978)

“Dream Street Rose” (1980)

“Shadows” (1982)

“Salute” (1983)

“East of Midnight” (1986)

“Waiting for You” (1993)

“A Painter Passing Through” (1998)

“Harmony” (2004)
It took four years for Lightfoot’s music to gain a toehold in the United States, although he was immensely popular in his home country. His 1970 contract with Warner Bros. led to the album “Sit Down Young Stranger” and the hit single “If You Could Read My Mind,” a rumination on the failure of his first marriage.

The next eight years were Lightfoot’s richest, commercially speaking, with hits including “Don Quixote,” “Ten Degrees and Getting Colder” and “Sundown” — a dark warning about a woman bound to lead men astray, and his only No. 1 hit in the U.S. “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald,” released in 1976, is Lightfoot’s reconstruction of the fatal ore carrier sinking in Lake Superior the year before. But the epic nature of the song makes the wreck sound like an event from the previous century.

His legendary status was secure, even as subsequent albums and singles did not reach the impact of his 1970s work. In 1999, his “Songbook” collection came out on Rhino Records, encapsulating his career to that point.

In 2002, Lightfoot suffered an internal hemorrhage in his hometown of Orillia that forced him to be airlifted to a hospital in Hamilton, Ontario. It left him comatose for weeks and nearly killed him.

“I was taken there the eighth of September, and woke just around Halloween,” he said in a 2008 interview with Canadian TV host George Stroumboulopoulos. “One of the first things I saw — people ask me if I had any hallucinations — was witches going by. And one of the doctors came in and said, ‘That’s the nurses, they’re doing a skit for the kids down in the children’s hall.’ ”

In February, a Twitter user spread the rumor that Lightfoot had died. Lightfoot phoned into a Winnipeg radio station to confirm he was still alive and well.

Jefferson Robbins: 664-7123

robbins@wenatcheeworld.com

Comments
Want to comment on this story? Registered users can use the form below. Please know that we at wenatcheeworld.com hope our site is useful, entertaining and civil. So we'll delete comments that are obscene, abusive or way off topic. We appreciate it when readers use the "suggest removal" button to flag inappropriate comments. For more about interacting with the site, see our Use Policy.

douglas (Doug Shirk) says...
Although he doesn't have a website of his own, information about Gord can be had here.....

http://www.lightfoot.ca/

and here......

http://www.corfid.com/

The moderator of the fan site above was kind enough to contacted me when I posted a blog about Lightfoot a couple of months ago. Lightfoot's part of that great Canadian folk song tradition from the 60's.......

October 27, 2010 at 3:39 p.m.

photo:Gordon Lightfoot at the Canadian Live 8 concert in Barrie, Ontario, in 2005.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20101027-080816-pic-767088414_t310[1].jpg
Views:	399
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	3935  
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:00 PM   #2
banjobench12

Default Re: Wenatchee WA article

Char it is absolutely fabulous that you find and post all of this information. I for one am in your debt.

Thanks
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
charlene

thanks!

but I just post them after I get them as e-mails from GOOGLE ALERTS...
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:29 PM   #4
seafarer62

Looks like "Sunday Concert" (1969) and "Old Dan's Records" (1972) fell off the list of albums. Oh well, 18 out of 20 is not bad.
seafarer62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 10:31 PM   #5
banjobench12

Still, finding this stuff here is a great part of my day.

It is so great that Gord still tours and, as a result we have stuff to talk about and share.

Can't wait until May
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote