banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 12-24-2000, 06:47 AM   #1
wmmartin

Merry Christmas!

There are a few thoughts about the future of this discussion board that I would like to discuss with you, and I'd be most happy if all of you could give me your opinion.

This website contains two types of content:
-) static
-) dynamic

All information about Gordon Lightfoot's songs, press articles etc. are static content, which means it doesn't change over time and I have complete control over what is displayed on this website.

The guestbook and the discussion forum are dynamic content, it gets changed/renewed constantly as it is submitted by the visitors of this website.

Given the nature of dynamic content, no postings cannot be edited or approved before they go online. For more than a year now, the guestbook as well as the discussion board have been working as intended.

We - as Gordon Lightfoot fans - can look back at a total of almost 5000 postings.

Speaking personally, almost all postings except very few have been a pleasure to read and respond to. Like most of you, I am happy to get in touch with other fans and being able to share our common love for Gordon Lightfoot.

The discussion board is set up in a way that all visitors can post new topics and reply to new ones. Registration is not complimentary. The reason why I made it not complimentary is that I wanted to keep the procedure of posting and responding as simple as possible, and to prevent that someone who is not very skilled with computers or the internet is being left out. I made this decision albeit knowing that this bears the risk of getting unwanted and distasteful postings once in a while.

Recent developments has proven that reality has catched up with this discussion board. In every other usenet discussion, or on every other internet board you get unwanted / distateful posts once in a while.

I want to make it clear that I am not the advocate of free speach above all. This is a discussion board dedicated to the Gordon Lightfoot fan community. We come here in our spare time, it is a hobby for us. There is no need for unwanted / distateful postings. The subjects might be controversial and opinions can/should be different - that's what a discussion is all about. However, there is a fine line that should not be stepped over.

A bunch of postings have clearly violated the consensus of this community. (the outrageous insult against Lams for example.)

(Lams - I will send you an email about that as well, but let me publicly express that I am very sorry that you have been insulted on my website in such a way.)

What can we do about the situation?

A few suggestions come to my mind and I kindly ask you for your comments:

a. Close the dynamic sections of this website alltogether.

The most radical approach. I could either delete the guestbook and the discussion forum or make both sections read only.

b. Make registration complimentary

Only registered users can post to this discussion board. I need to go into a few technical details here, to explain all of the options available. The registration process can have several levels of control. For example, the email address of a user could be checked before registration is allowed, thereby preventing someone from registering with a "phoney" email address. The most strict for of registering is that every new registration has to be approved by the administrator manually.

c. Only allow moderators/administrators to start topics

Using this options, no one would be enabled to post new topics. Thereby, the topics discussed would be laid out / though out by the moderators/administrator of the discussion board alone.

The above suggestions are ad hoc thought of, maybe I will come up with some more in future. I am very upset and enraged about persons coming onto our discussion board, trying to ruin our pleasure. Let me assure you, I am very determend to do something about it, but before I take any measures, I'd like to get all of your opinions about the subject.
wmmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 06:47 AM   #2
Florian

Merry Christmas!

There are a few thoughts about the future of this discussion board that I would like to discuss with you, and I'd be most happy if all of you could give me your opinion.

This website contains two types of content:
-) static
-) dynamic

All information about Gordon Lightfoot's songs, press articles etc. are static content, which means it doesn't change over time and I have complete control over what is displayed on this website.

The guestbook and the discussion forum are dynamic content, it gets changed/renewed constantly as it is submitted by the visitors of this website.

Given the nature of dynamic content, no postings cannot be edited or approved before they go online. For more than a year now, the guestbook as well as the discussion board have been working as intended.

We - as Gordon Lightfoot fans - can look back at a total of almost 5000 postings.

Speaking personally, almost all postings except very few have been a pleasure to read and respond to. Like most of you, I am happy to get in touch with other fans and being able to share our common love for Gordon Lightfoot.

The discussion board is set up in a way that all visitors can post new topics and reply to new ones. Registration is not complimentary. The reason why I made it not complimentary is that I wanted to keep the procedure of posting and responding as simple as possible, and to prevent that someone who is not very skilled with computers or the internet is being left out. I made this decision albeit knowing that this bears the risk of getting unwanted and distasteful postings once in a while.

Recent developments has proven that reality has catched up with this discussion board. In every other usenet discussion, or on every other internet board you get unwanted / distateful posts once in a while.

I want to make it clear that I am not the advocate of free speach above all. This is a discussion board dedicated to the Gordon Lightfoot fan community. We come here in our spare time, it is a hobby for us. There is no need for unwanted / distateful postings. The subjects might be controversial and opinions can/should be different - that's what a discussion is all about. However, there is a fine line that should not be stepped over.

A bunch of postings have clearly violated the consensus of this community. (the outrageous insult against Lams for example.)

(Lams - I will send you an email about that as well, but let me publicly express that I am very sorry that you have been insulted on my website in such a way.)

What can we do about the situation?

A few suggestions come to my mind and I kindly ask you for your comments:

a. Close the dynamic sections of this website alltogether.

The most radical approach. I could either delete the guestbook and the discussion forum or make both sections read only.

b. Make registration complimentary

Only registered users can post to this discussion board. I need to go into a few technical details here, to explain all of the options available. The registration process can have several levels of control. For example, the email address of a user could be checked before registration is allowed, thereby preventing someone from registering with a "phoney" email address. The most strict for of registering is that every new registration has to be approved by the administrator manually.

c. Only allow moderators/administrators to start topics

Using this options, no one would be enabled to post new topics. Thereby, the topics discussed would be laid out / though out by the moderators/administrator of the discussion board alone.

The above suggestions are ad hoc thought of, maybe I will come up with some more in future. I am very upset and enraged about persons coming onto our discussion board, trying to ruin our pleasure. Let me assure you, I am very determend to do something about it, but before I take any measures, I'd like to get all of your opinions about the subject.
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 11:08 AM   #3
Sheila Ann

Merry Christmas to you, too, Florian!
Well spoken response to the situation of late of the totally tasteless postings by persons who obviously are hiding behind anonymity. I am almost certain they would not have the nerve to speak in such a manner in a face to face setting. I am an advocate of free speech but it is your site and you do have the right to make rules and limitations. Those who choose to play by the rules can post and those who don't can be banished. End of story!
This is a remarkably enjoyable site and I have learned so much. Before I found this site I was a "closet fan"...people I knew thought I was a little off the wall for continuing to follow such a has-been (their words, not mine). Funny thing about that is that Lightfoot's music is timeless while my friends can't remember who they were "into" two years ago! Before I came to this site, I had a solid knowledge of Lightfoot's actual music but very little insight as to the wherefore or the why. Being able to read the personal experiences of many who have actually been close to the man has been great. Watching the varied opinions of other fans has been fun, too.
That said...of the options you have presented so far, I would have to go with number b.-complimentary registration. It seems to allow the same freedom that is currently here except that YOU have some control. If I am correct, you can block postings by offensive posters. Perhaps registrants could be given the option of having their email address displayed or not. The registered folks in good standing can still post at will and they can throw out topics for discussion.
Please don't take away the heart of this site...the discussion forums and the guestbook. Without those it's just another info site with no real life.
Again...Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

Sheila Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 12:34 PM   #4
charlene

Hi Florian!
I also think "B" is the way to go. I don't think I could bear to have the discussion board not here! It certainly is shameful the way some "people" conduct themselves in the shadows of the internet. They deserve no more concern than a bug on the windshield! I have no idea how these boards work so I leave it to your wisdom to be the Polite Policeman! Differences of opinion and thoughts are respected here and only once in a while does one find a personal attack. Childishness such as that in an adult is quite sad really but one does not have to put up with it. I trust you will make a decision that will enable the majority of us to continue posting on this fine site in the spirit it was started. I am thankful that Gord himself does not check out these boards. It is shameful that some people have no "edit" button on their brains.
It is now Xmas eve where you are - Merry, merry Christmas dear Florian - be safe and warm and all the best for 2001.
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 01:25 PM   #5
SilverHeels

Hi Florian,
For what its worth I think you need to go
with 'B'. It would be too unfair on the
genuine 'members' of this fantastic 'club'
to lose the Discussion Forum and the Guestbook. This is a unique site - we must not permit the mindless few who, because of their own pitiful insecurities, feel the need
to violate others pleasures. This is OUR
site. It is our own private club and as with
all clubs there has to be a 'bouncer'.That,
dear Florian, is where you come in.
I think you should check email addresses for authenticity before accepting new 'members'. And perhaps they should be kept private so that we all keep a modicum of privacy. The Internet is becoming a thoroughfare of increasing perils. All this will mean a lot
more work for you, Florian, but if we want to safeguard this site and our own right of speech, I personally see no other way.
I will, of course, abide by whatever you
decide in the end.

BTW, I do not wish to consider the passing
of Gordon Lightfoot - and hope the topic
never comes up again - in any shape or form.
He lives for 1000 years. You hear me, God?
lol

Have a very Merry Christmas - no doubt a
'White One' too!
SilverHeels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 02:10 PM   #6
rainydayperson

B too or not....

Well, I'll opt for B. I love the spontaneity of this fine site but I think some measures must be invoked as a safeguard against those who lack discretion. My heart goes out to s-blue.
rainydayperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 02:10 PM   #7
classicmixdj

B too or not....

Well, I'll opt for B. I love the spontaneity of this fine site but I think some measures must be invoked as a safeguard against those who lack discretion. My heart goes out to s-blue.
classicmixdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 02:30 PM   #8
Florian

Thank you for your comments. My first posting might have been a little irrational and emotional at some point. The whole topic was somewhat awkward (Future: If Lightfoot passes away) but the rude insult towards LAMS made me furious.

I think to make registration compulsory will be a good idea to put away with such postings in future.
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2000, 05:09 PM   #9
loveandmaplesyrup

Send a message via ICQ to loveandmaplesyrup

Florian,

First of all, let me please say thank you for your kind words and I want you to know that I in absolutely no way hold you responsible for what happened with that unfortunate thread. (S.Blue, I don't feel that you had anything to do with it either. You DIDN'T start anything as you seem to feel. You expressed a feeling of outrage and the posters who flamed you showed a complete lack of class. If you look back at the thread, you will see that Gord's real followers were behind you 100 percent.)

I think that compulsory registration is a very good idea. Florian, I wrote to you privately with why and I won't bore everyone by reiterating it again here. The gist of it is with compulsory registration and verification of e-mail addresses it will probably work because someone who just wants to be a trouble-maker will probably not bother to go to that much trouble. Sincere posters will find it absolutely no problem at all. And, as for privacy concerns, most of us have more than one e-mail address, so there is really no need to include your main one. No one's privacy will be threatened.

With the Gordon Lightfoot discussion group that I have, it is very secure, but it does involve receiving posts by e-mail. Some people are too busy to read every post and unless the subject line is changed every time a post is made, sometimes the subject lines have nothing to do with the post. So you are actually obliged to read the post to see what it is. With this discussion board here, each thread is separated out and you can respond to whichever ones you want.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both methods, but I think it's nice that people have the option to join one or both groups.

This sort of thing happened on another message board I had access to and it got so bad, the moderator had to just take down the entire message board and go to the e-mail method. So don't feel you are alone.

What I can't understand is why do people have to waste their time invading and riling up a quiet group of people who are minding their own business and communicating about something in which they share a common interest and passion? Where's the sport? I'm afraid I just don't understand it.

Anyway, thanks for listening and Florian, once again, thank you for your concern and your kind words to me. Please don't let this put a damper on your holiday.

And Silver Heels, I also agree with you. Let's no longer talk about Gord not being with us. (Florian, can you just delete that thread ... if everyone agrees, that is?)

Stay loose, eh? And all of you have a wonderful, wonderful Christmas and lots of happiness and luck in the New Year!

LAMS

------------------
"Love and maple syrup
go together like the
sticky winds of winter
when they meet....
If you go into the forest
Gaze up through the trees
The sky is white.
You can understand
What makes the forest
Greet the man
Like a mother's only
child ..."
loveandmaplesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2000, 01:02 AM   #10
midnightmisty

Dear Florian,

My vote is for Plan B.

Although I haven't posted here for sometime
as I'm finally recovering from a lengthy illness and am busy living life again (in other words, trying to cram too much into each day!) I still come here to read every
few days. To the best of my knowledge, this is the very best "fansite" of ANY kind on the internet. It leaves nothing, whatsoever, to be desired! You have thought of everything to pamper us by providing us with every feature imagineable. This is the best tribute to Gordon Lightfoot I could possibly
imagine. You've obviously put alot into it.
We are so very lucky to have this safe santuary in which to bond with each other.

I also support the Freedom Of Speech that our forefathers in the USA granted us 225
years ago. It's a "Right". But it also comes with responsibilies. Common courtesey is just one of those responisiblitites! As I see it, we should not abuse that right and responsiblity by verbally assaulting others
in public OR private. As a matter of decency,
is just not an "option". Those ugly verbal
displays were aimed at a few, but injured
much of this loving and supportive online community. Suddenly, so many new names appeared and insulted so many. Too many to list. I couldn't even read alot of that garbage!!!!!

Florian, please correct me if I'm wrong, but I see this as a privately owned and maintained (so generously, btw) by you for
public use by Gordon Lightfoot fans. No where does it say we must "gush", although many of us can't help ourselves. We enjoy
Gord, each other and this site. We are
happy here. Respectful debate is often interesting and much of it has a bit of
friendly kidding around and mutual friendly affection.

Florian, please institute mandatory registration and delete those horrific remarks meant to hurt, hinder and shock. It makes me sick at heart to even know that they're there as I "skip over" them. The remarks about Gord were terrible insults both to him and us as a whole. I don't even know LAMS, yet I was outraged and hurt. My husband was shocked and disgusted. This site is not a public toilet and we hate to see it used as such. That's a strong comment, I know. But that's how we see those comments. Supailblue was just being supportitive as usual. Supaiblue has been extremely enthusiastic and fun right from the begining.

Although this site is owned and maintained by you, or merely moderated by you, thanks for asking our opinions.

"Respect" has always been what this site has always been about. If it has to be enforced in this day and age, so be it. People should be held accountable for their actions.

Thanks so very much for all you have given us, Florian!

midnightmisty

[This message has been edited by midnightmisty (edited December 25, 2000).]
midnightmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2000, 01:59 AM   #11
Tom

Florian, Merry Christmas to you, thanks again for all that you do. I like Plan B too! It is unfortunate that sometimes one bad apple can spoil the whole bunch. This is a unique website in all honesty, I have been to so many sites & chatrooms with zero respect. This site has always been different. I think you should delete postings that go "over the line". All in all this has been a magical place.

P.S. Florian, you taking the cruise on the Lightfoot Liner too?
Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2000, 01:57 PM   #12
midnightmisty

Florian,

I would also like to add that I see the disturbing, basically annonymous comments as
we've seen here of late as an act of "cyber vandalism". That's why I hope you delete the worst ones. They remind me of the worst kind of public "graffitti". Please remove that filthy, insulting nonsense.

midnightmisty
midnightmisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2000, 09:10 PM   #13
Lightfoot678

Florian

First off Merry Christmas to you and everyone

As most of you know I haven't been around this message board that often lately, mainlly on account of college. However I do pop in at times and read and post. I read each of the options you considered and since it looks like you may have to use one of them I say go with Option B. Making reigistration mandatory. While I myself am totally anti censorship I rec0gnize the problem that net "trolls" can cause. I have seen many message boards and newsgroups overrun and destroyed ultimately by them. While there are some groups that take the "flame" approach to dealing with them this group is not one of them.

A suggestion for the registration option. Have each person whne they register send you an e-mail message. Then you manually approve that person and send them a password (or have them pick). That will help weed out potential troublemakers.

------------------
Look into his shining eyes and if you see a ghost don't be surprised......Listen to the strings. That jangle and dangle while the old guitar sings.

The lake it is said never gives up her dead, when the gales of November come early.
Lightfoot678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 09:15 AM   #14
bacall

I'd go with Plan B.

I'm fairly new to this board, but have been a member of many boards and lists for some time now. I like the friendliness of the folks here--and, finding a Gordon Lightfoot board on the 'Net is not an easy task!

BTW, the compliments of the season, and hope all are enjoying their holidays...
bacall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 12:38 PM   #15
Jenney

Dear Florian,

First, let me thank you for all your trouble and hard work maintaining this web site. I don't think I have ever thanked you for your dedication. Other people might have read the garbage that is going on and just decided it wasn't worth continuing the discussion forum. After all, this is a labor of love, not something you do for payment.

I think I would vote for plan B as well. Perhaps by being held a bit more responsible for their posts, people would think twice before hurling mud at someone else. It was the name calling that bothered me. I don't ever object to a difference of opinion, but one of the things I have enjoyed most about Lightfoot fans is their civility and respect.
Jenney
Jenney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 07:57 PM   #16
A Painter

First of all, I hope you have all had a great Christmas so far.

I agree with the majority - if you are forced to make changes at all, it should be option B.

I don't post here as often as I'd like, but I try to check in at least once a day and get a great deal of pleasure from reading the more constructive threads. We must never lose that.

I just hope your re-structuring of the discussion board gets rid of the garbage for good. They are not welcome here.
A Painter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 08:54 PM   #17
An Observer

Some thoughts from a long time observer of this forum. The posts in question have been few in number and mostly just an annoyance. One was objectionable, but one post is hardly the reason to go into the wild panic seen here the last few days. The juvenile types who make the shock posts will go away when they don't get the attention they seek. No doubt they are in heaven with the response they have seen here the last few days!

Perhaps it might be better to consider what was said, not how it was said. I have read the posts here for months and one theme has been constant. You either agree with the person called LAMS or you are not welcome on this board. LAMS has been chastized by the moderator and others for her often caustic posts against those whom disagree with her. Those who disagree with her inevitably fade away, obviously unwilling to challenge her authority on this board. I am a lifelong Lightfoot enthusiast, but I have not posted because I don't want to deal with her self righteousness.

LAMS posts are usually voluminous and off the topic at hand. She seems possessed to dominate this forum and to run off anyone not towing her line. Look at her reply to the obscene post. Very little of it addresses the garbage. Most of it is a long litany outlining how she sees the world. She makes her controlling nature perfectly clear when she describes how she manages her own discussion area. Every post is checked first so nothing is posted that is not in agreement with her.

Celebrities, including Mr Lightfoot, learn quickly how to deal with adoration that turns into "close friends." LAMS acts as the protector of Mr Lightfoot on this board in a way that is both bizarre and silly. Like any successful entertainer Mr Lightfoot's career has been controversial. Some of his best music comes from the tribulations of his life. The last thing he needs is a person who protects him like a mother protects a child. Mr Lightfoot is quite capable of protecting himself. The kind of veneration of Mr Lightfoot that we see in LAMS is the same I see in my teenage daughter for her favorite group. The difference is that I expect my daughter will outgrow it.

Freedom of speech takes great courage. If the board has been willing to tolerate LAMS preaching, insults and attacks it must also be willing to tolerate those who may disagree with her. It is no longer a community when one dominating person is allowed to crush the forum into a party line that no one dares question. That is exactly what has happened here, as any objective review of the posts over the last year will show.

The moderator can easily delete any obscene posts. If you think a registration process will stop the occassional vandal you know nothing about the Internet. In any event, what are you all afraid of? Are you afraid of honest discussion and controversy? Or are you afraid to deal with the controversy caused by one over zealous fan who tolerates no views but her own?
Old 12-26-2000, 11:34 PM   #18
Rebecca

Dear Observer,
You need to read LAMS' post more carefully. She does not check posts before they go to the main board. I've never known of one post being deleted or edited there. It may have happened, but such occurrences would most cetainly be classified as infrequent. Sometimes there are days between her visits to the board.
Rebecca
Rebecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2000, 11:51 PM   #19
Paul J B

Florian, I think B is the only option. I would also like to comment on this. I have only been a member here for a little over a year now, but in the begining I posted often. Now I hardly ever contribute to discussions becouse of ill tempered responces. It seems like recently everyone has a short fuse. This most current situation is a perfect example. A topic was started and someone took offence to it and responded harshly. You can always express your opinion without personal attacks or abuse. I know I am guilty of this as well as most people on this site have been at one time or another, but I would hate to see this website and forum go through extreme changes or even shutdown just because of some hot tempered comments. I no a lot of people will not agree with my opinions, but so what its my opinion. Florian do what you feel is right, but consider all the effects of changing the forums setup. There have been some great topics started by people unregistered. Some of these people might not have access to a computer all the time and have no email address. Anyway if you must change it B is my choice. By the way Merry Christmas to everyone, and have a Happy New Year. May 2001 bring only happiness.

------------------
"If people could look into each other's eyes
What a wonderful place this world would be"
GL

[This message has been edited by Paul J B (edited December 26, 2000).]
Paul J B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 01:35 AM   #20
loveandmaplesyrup

Send a message via ICQ to loveandmaplesyrup

Dear Observer,

I'm very sorry to have offended you. I was merely responding to what I felt was a personal attack on myself.

I question how much you have really visited this board because I have not posted here in many months except for one or two very short ones on harmless topics. I wasn't even aware of the obscene post until a friend brought my attention to it.

You are definitely entitled to your opinions (which appear to be pretty voluminous, as well).

I also gave a public apology to everyone here for my outburst of many months ago. (Apparently you didn't read that.) But please feel assured that if this be the consensus of this board, I will trouble you no longer with any posts from me.

Thank you for your kind words.

LAMS
loveandmaplesyrup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 09:47 AM   #21
SilverHeels

This topic was started to try and decide
how best to safeguard our favourite 'club'
from unwanted garbage. I may be wrong, but I dont think it was intended to be used to crucify LAMS. Without intending any offence, Observer, I personally think your comments are out of order.
Old 12-27-2000, 01:12 PM   #22
jay

I have been on a rather extended absence and am sad to see that we are having troubles here. I have not seen the primary offending post but assume it was nasty and send my sympathies to LAMS, whose posts I have enjoyed. I know I would be hurt if I were a target even of an ass.

Requiring registration and an e-mail address with power to ban an obscene poster may help but is no guarantee against obscenity or inappropriate attacks. On the other hand, let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater-this forum provides too much pleasure to too many people to let one ass ruin it.

Hope you all had a nice Christmas and best wishes for 2001.
________
Extreme vaporizer review

Last edited by jay; 05-03-2011 at 04:58 AM.
jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 04:35 PM   #23
2Much2Lose

Florian,

I echo everything that has been said about our appreciation to you for this website.

Count me also among the strong supporters of LAMS and her contributions here.

That said, I would urge that you make no changes -- at least not in the near horizon. I would prefer that first you give the site the opportunity for things to calm down a bit.

When I first came to this website, I would have found it very disturbing to be required to e-mail someone I didn't know just to be allowed to post. I doubt I would have bothered. And I would have missed a wonderful experience -- both here and through interaction with other Gord fans.

Early on, some of my posts discussed lyric changes that I might like to see. It was obvious that many disagreed with me, but I never felt "flamed" by any disagreement. Moreover, I hope that my views were considered thoughtfully, even if rejected. Upon consideration of the responses, sometimes I agreed with the response and changed my opinion, sometimes not. That's what opinions are -- mere offerings in the marketplace of ideas.

There is a difference between the opinions I offered and some of the recent posts. I hope that within each of my opinions was conveyed the great love I have for Gord and his music. I compared him to Shakespeare once, noting that even Shakespeare's writings are subjected to critical analysis (e.g. for possible anti-semitism in Merchant of Venice).

The recent posts differ with respect to the absence of love and respect for Gord and his muse. These posts derive from hate, not love, mockery, not respect. They have no place here.

My remedy, which I propose to all lovers of Gord, is that the mocking, evil posts be simply ignored. No response, no argument, no attention at all. These evil pranksters thrive upon attention. If they don't get that attention, they will search for new fields to infect.

If anyone is particularly offended by a particular post, such as the despicable attack on LAMS, and is unwilling to simply ignore the idiot, that person should have the right to e-mail you to request removal of the offensive item. You would then serve as the arbiter of removing posts rather than of screening them.

My guess is that my more moderate suggestion would have the required curative effect. If it does not, the more drastic measure of changing the character of this site is still available as the next step.

Anyway, thank you again for the very valuable service you have done us all. I'm sure I speak for all who can appreciate what you have done for us when I say that we all trust your best judgment.

2M2L
2Much2Lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 05:07 PM   #24
charlene

I agree with 2much2lose - if no one bothers with their idiotic ramblings they will get bored and go away.
if they don't then you dear Florian can eradicate them at the source!!
OUCH!
LOL
Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2000, 05:40 PM   #25
SilverHeels

While I agree with 2M2L and Char, there will
be times when Florian is not able to be around to watch for these idiots. He has a
business to run. He can hardly spend
every waking hour watching for garbage to
soil his excellent site. I think he needs
an assistant, someone with a shrewdness to match his own and a calmness of temperament
(well, that rules me out! lol) with which
to judge and handle the situation should
it occur again.