banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 08-22-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
charlene

Default posting attachments

ok - so I have uploaded my pics at the "Manage attachments' link..How do I get them into the post..??
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #2
Moosedog

Default Re: posting with attachments ???

Well, you were a step ahead of me - I didn't realize there was a 'Manage Attachments' link. LOL I'm trying to attach one of me with Gordon, as a test. According to the information on attachments in the FQA section, a thumbnail image "should" display after I post. It appears when I previewed my post, so let's see if it works.

Vickie
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	VickiewGordon.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	13  
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:10 PM   #3
Dream Street Rose

Hi Vickie,

You did a super job.
Old 08-22-2007, 12:22 PM   #4
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Point of order Madame Morerator (my turn to rap your knuckles!!) why is your thread not in the test forum??
(I had already started a thread "I am my own Volunteer" that you could have replied to nobody else has yet bothered!!)
pending relocation of this thread I will submit my thoughts here and now
I don't think you can initially show an uploaded picture in the body of your posting.
As far as I can tell, and
Florian correct me if I have got it wrong
using the "Manage Atachments" facility only uploads the picture then shows at the bottom of your message a smart rectangle entitled "Attached thumbnails".That appered as I showed yesterday at:-
http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=17534
when I uploaded a sample album cover "Beauty And The Beat" it was a clickable thumbnail that led to

Note that the URL is a corfid specific one with a reference number not the original's file name at all
Also Vicki for me the thumbnail and its rectangle appeared yesterday when I previewed my posting "I am my own volunteer"
AND just now when I checked to get the URL. So I do not understand why both yours and Char's postings have no thumbnail rectangle. Lets see if this new posting from me works as yesterday's did...
if you want to include as I just did above the picture in the traditional bulletin board code fashion you might be able to use the following workaround because every file stored on the internet by definition really has an address (URL) so if you when previewing click the thumbnail the full sized picture should open from which in time-honoured fashion a simple right click and "properties" selection will reveal the URL as in my example above. NO see below it don't work at all at all!!!
As further elucidation I will now upload the combined alternative CD artwork being frequently used by a peddlar on Ebay of the old Warner-Seven Arts GL Demos. The auctions always use very small pix so without buying one just to make larger scans, I have combined the two available litle pix and then enlarged them , hence the unavoidable "fuzziness"
John Fowles
Sime more notes
  • Dang the URL is not a linkable picture URL because the forum despite my correct use of the two image tags [img] and[/img] the forum then treats the only available URL as a standard URL and shows it as a regular hyperlink,as a check I then tried to "save picture as" and my original jpg file name appeared but trying to link to that directly on corfid appears impossible so regrettably you'll just have to use the regular tags and upload the picture to a storage site if you wish to include it in the body of your posting therefore I for one consider the "Manage Attachments "feature is a red herrring and of very limited use.
    Florian comments please
  • Also it is not available from the "quick reply" either so you'd have to use the "Advanced" option
  • After uploading any uploaded files are shown just above the "Manage Attachments" button
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	echoes_of_heroes_700.jpg
Views:	678
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	14  

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:06 PM   #5
RM

Moosedog's posted just fine.

My head hurts.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Moosedog

Thanks, Rose! Glad you and RM are able to view it - I was fairly certain I had done it correctly.

Does that mean I don't have to read John's entire message? LOL (j/k John!)

Vickie
Old 08-22-2007, 01:26 PM   #7
charlene

Default Re: posting attachments

what?
my head just exploded.
Old 08-22-2007, 01:27 PM   #8
charlene

Vickie - explain it to me...
I upload the pics and get the thumbnails..what next?
Old 08-22-2007, 01:39 PM   #9
Moosedog

I uploaded directly from my computer, as opposed to from a URL (both options are available). After I browsed and selected the picture, the window indicated "uploading file - please wait". Once finished, the file showed as a current attachment. I closed that window, previewed my post - and the thumbnail was there. Then I posted my reply. If you were trying to load from a URL, maybe it works differently.

Vickie
Old 08-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #10
charlene

I was uploading from my own saved pic as you did- uploading files/please wait and then it finished and pics show under :CURRENT ATTACHMENTS with their saved name and size.
under that is a listing of attachment keys and file types/max width/height..my pics are not listed in there..
When I click on the name and size of my uploaded pics a window opens with the pic there.
How do I get the pic into the post when I open a 'reply' or 'new thread' ??
Old 08-22-2007, 02:00 PM   #11
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Vickie - explain it to me...
I upload the pics and get the thumbnails..what next?
That is a rather open ended question M'am
how's about
  1. Preview
  2. if the idea grabs you click the thumbnail in the preview window to ensure the full sized picture that gets
    displayed is fully to your liking
  3. If your propsed posting as previewed does look OK, i.e. complete with the rectangle press submit
  4. Smile sweetly
So sorry Ron if I hurt your head but I swear that earlier Vicki's post had no rectangle now it does. Please somebody agree with me else my head will also be a'hurting too.
Thanks Char or moving the thread to the test forum.
I know that there are serveral readers who do not bother with the test forum but in cases like this where there is a lot to experiment with it is invaluable and more should come here.Just my 25th of a dollar
John
P.S.
my previous long post was intended to fully answer CHar's first question
wich I foundt was not as straightforward to answer as I first thought
Sorry everybody
I do hope that Florian reads it all
as I demonstrated the use of the [size=xx] and color=[yyy] tags in it

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

Last edited by johnfowles; 08-22-2007 at 02:05 PM.
johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:48 PM   #12
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosedog View Post
Well, you were a step ahead of me - I didn't realize there was a 'Manage Attachments' link. LOL I'm trying to attach one of me with Gordon, as a test. According to the information on attachments in the FQA section, a thumbnail image "should" display after I post. It appears when I previewed my post, so let's see if it works.

Vickie

Hi Vickie,{Moosedog}

I just noticed that on your photo w/Gord, CANADA is written on his blue t shirt. Here in Moncton, NB, on May,11th he had a red t shirt having the same print on it... Proud Canadian eh!

Last edited by Jesse Joe; 08-22-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 09:47 AM   #13
Moosedog

Hi JJ! I'll be seeing Gordon in Milwaukee and Sheboygan in September - I'll get another picture so you can see what color his Canada t-shirt is then. LOL

Vickie
Old 08-24-2007, 06:46 AM   #14
Jesse Joe

Right On !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bradygordo01.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	77  
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 09:30 AM   #15
Florian

1. write your message as usual
  2. scroll down in the browser window and click the button "Manage Attachments"
  3. a new tab/window will open, titled "Manage Attachments"
  4. you'll most likely want to attach a picture that is already saved locally on your computer, so click the "browse" button and locate the picture you want to attach
  5. click on the "upload" button to the right
  6. there is a message saying "uploading files - please wait"
  7. once the picture is uploaded (= saved at the webserver), you get to see a new text which reads: "Current Attachments (xx.x KB)"
  8. this means you're done with uploading this picture, it's now already attached to your message
  9. you can now either upload another picture to the same message (up to a total of five per message), or close the window by selecting the "close window" option
  10. now you should be back at the regular message box, but above the "manage attachment" button you clicked at step nr. 2 you'll see the name of the file you've attached
  11. click "submit reply" or "submit new threat" as usual
  12. tadaaa!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	panda.jpg
Views:	680
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	80  
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2007, 10:04 AM   #16
Florian

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
I don't think you can initially show an uploaded picture in the body of your posting.
As far as I can tell, and - Florian correct me if I have got it wrong - using the "Manage Atachments" facility only uploads the picture then shows at the bottom of your message a smart rectangle entitled "Attached thumbnails".
You have two options to see the picture you've attached before you finally post your message. Both options are only available after you've completed the "upload" process, because only then is the picture actually available at the webserver.

a) once you're done with uploading, you get a small link to the picture you've just uploaded. By clicking on this link, you can check if you've uploaded the correct picture.

b) probably the most convenient way to check if everything went ok is to complete the attachment process, and then simply "preview" your post. This will display both your text message and the little thumbnail icon for the picture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnfowles View Post
* Dang the URL is not a linkable picture URL because the forum despite my correct use of the two image tags [img] and[/img] the forum then treats the only available URL as a standard URL and shows it as a regular hyperlink,as a check I then tried to "save picture as" and my original jpg file name appeared but trying to link to that directly on corfid appears impossible so regrettably you'll just have to use the regular tags and upload the picture to a storage site if you wish to include it in the body of your posting therefore I for one consider the "Manage Attachments "feature is a red herrring and of very limited use.
* Also it is not available from the "quick reply" either so you'd have to use the "Advanced" option
* After uploading any uploaded files are shown just above the "Manage Attachments" button
You're correct - attached pictures appear as thumbnails at the end of a posting and can not be used in the body of the text. The reason behind this is that it helps to prevent the stretching of the the layout of the forum and makes it easier to use for people with a slower internet connection (thumbnails load much faster than the complete image). On a sidenote, I've just increased the thumbnail size to 200x200, so it's easier to see what's actually on the picture.

If you want to include an image directly in the body of your text then you need to use the linking options via the [ IMG ] tags or the little picture icon in the posting box. Pictures included that way get displayed at a reasonable resolution if they are too large and by clicking on them can be viewed in their full dimension.

Either way, having a message blown completely out of proportion and difficult to read by having to scroll horizontally should now be a rare occurance.

It's probably best to view the "attachment options" as another means of getting your pictures online, not a direct replacement of the [ IMG ] tags, which still have their use.
Florian is offline   Reply With Quote