banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 07-28-2008, 02:15 PM   #1
imported_Next_Saturday

Default Bob Dylan-"I'm Not Supposed to Care"

Old 07-28-2008, 05:32 PM   #2
joveski

Default Re: Bob Dylan-"I'm Not Supposed to Care"

he played that one 2 or 3 times in 1998. i have the audio from Toronto 98 which i can upload. i cant find it on youtube, but here's a few clips from that great show

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f
joveski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I think that's one of the worse covers I've ever heard.

Cathy
Old 07-28-2008, 09:26 PM   #4
Moosedog

That was excruciatingly painful for me to listen to. One of my favorite Gord songs, and Dylan sucked the life out of it. LOL
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 09:58 PM   #5
GJA

You know, if I live to be a hundred I'll never understand why Bob Dylan is so popular. This cover is just sad!!
Old 07-28-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
jj

I found this more 'soothing' than the last live recording that was shared

mr. jove, the link to his crooning of EMR doesn't work anymore?:

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=18577

ps) I noticed that a DGUffelman made a post at youtube under the comments
I assume it's our GL David and glad to see he's well (and his post is valid, imo)
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
charlene

ugh ugh ugh and ugh again.. awful, just awful.
ugh
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:29 PM   #8
geodeticman.5

Thanks Saturday - for that video.

I'd heard rumours of his [Dylan] maybe having done it [performed the song], but was not sure. I know the two artists clearly have different styles, to state the obvious, but in an odd way I like Dylan's casual approach to it. His style, virtually devoid of traditional singing ability in either a trained voice sense, or that of a naturally pleasing, inately musical singer, still manages to successfully impart [his] emotion to this song,imho, and intrinsically second to that, a respect by Dylan therefor of the song, and in turn the writer, since his delivery speaks of having meaning to Dylan on a personal level.

I also am reminded of an interesting comparison between Gordon and Dylan, probably no revelation to anyone else, but that is of the changed voices in both cases. Different, reasons, similar things to deal with sort of. My suburban legend understanding of Dylan's voice , changing mid-life , is one of a non-fans rough knowledge by word of mouth. No one need emphasize the weakness in that kind of "knowledge".

I heard he had a very bad motorcycle accident, head/brain injury, and among changes/losses were his old voice I remember from "lay lady lay" - a richer, more resonant voice. Were it not for his legenday status, even iconic, (I'll stop before prophetic..) most singers I think would have washed up in terms of performing....and perhaps continue just writing.

But his persona preceeds him, and it did not to my knowledge alter his following. It sure did his voice, but that I am extremely sympathetic to. Without unneccessary detail, long-timer corfidites already know of what I speak in head injury terms, but my brain injury changed my whole life in various ways; primarily in the temporary sense, some things longer but in the minority, and I feel for Dylan. I guess I would ask Dylan fans who know the before/after in some detail - did his demanour or personability change with it, eg his Award to Lightfoot mini-debacle ? That could explain many things.

And Lightfoot's voice, while I am allready shamefully off-thread, has been a difficult subject for all of us, imagine what its been for him.... No doubt years of smoking, drinking, and what not alone would have done to his voice, but then add on his medical events that he so bravely recovered from with admirable determination. His long-time cited personal hero in his profession has always been for the most part Dylan, also citing Ian & Sylvia and a few others, but Dylan stands out. And really for the first time, I am reminded that he and Dylan share a profound change in voice as a further criteria for relating to one another, perhaps.

Back to the video....
The pictures, well chosen, also add to this "personal" temporary ownership of the song. This temporary bundle of rights certainly does not extend to singing it as aesthetically pleasing as Gordon does, but by definition I am biased there, as a Lightfoot fan. Even objectively, Dylan can't sing in the traditional sense imho, but he performs it meaningfully; I like it.

This also lays to rest another small dillema in my mind - small ... and that is whether Dylan in fact had true respect for Lightfoot, aside from the the largely "behavioural" controversy during the Juno (was it?) Award- when Lightfoot held out for a few [Awards] in order that he might have it presented to him by Dylan. This conclusion of mine is with respect, setting aside the award thing, is solely based upon Dylan's choice to perform (and record??) the song, even perhaps the way he sang it, as if he... liked the lyrics and they spoke for him in that moment. And Lightfoot's cover of "Ring Them Bells" tells me much of his admiration for Dylan's music.

Apparently that presentation was a dissapointment to many Lightfoot fans (and to Lightfoot, I do not know, but it looked to be)- who felt that [and this includes me on this part] Dylan was less than enthusiastic in demeanour, indifferent in comport, perhaps... to the point of near disrespectfulness in his affect, indifference again might be more accurate to me of his *apparrent* but exanimate comport, to which I'd add - he is known to be eccentric among other things.

Perhaps, from some of his quoted statements of Lightfoot, notably [paraphrasing] "when I hear a Lightfoot song, I wish it would never end" he could arguably be *professionally* jealous of Lightfoot's composition, arrangement, singing, writing, and performing skills, but who knows ? After hearing.seeing this, I am now a bit more inclined to say "some people just don't know how to be gregarious or ooze smarmy admiration" when presenting an award... Dylan would never win any contests for on-screen M.C. personna... But then again, who knwos what was going through his head. Ithink instead of jealousy, it is my opinion that he just plain likes Gord's music. The only printed quotes I have heard, and the statement at the end of his video - all tell me he likes Gords music and has strong professional respect for him. Non-professional questions of "does he LIKE him, or are they in some kind of COMPETITION FOR 'KING OF FOLK' " would seem to me to be private and personal questions that despite the near-successful arguments that the media has the "right" to bare celebrities peronal lives to the world.

Whether this is true of not, as Lightfoot fans I have the impression, and definately the personal opinion, that Lightfoot's personal thoughts, friends, wives,girlfriends, children, and thoughts thereof are his own business we choose to not be invasive of.

All I know for sure in the Award debacle is how Dylan SEEMED TO ME TO BE ACTING....and HOW I FELT *REAL* BAD FOR LIGHTFOOT, WHOM I FELT SEEMED DEFLATED,,, AMIDST HIS ADMIRATION [for Dylan] AND THE PRESENTATION SEEMED TO BE LACKING A CERTAIN - "pardon my neo-French" - "ju ne se qua" for Gordon.

My heart was in my throat for Gordon, who after holding out and abstaining from many awards as story has it, must have been almost euphoric in anticipation of the presentation by Dylan. That euphoria must have quickly dissolved into anti-climactic let-down... nearing embarrassment and self-doubt in Lightfoot's mind aftwerwards,and during. He seemd non-plussed (SP?). One can only guess.

In absence of direct quotes from either of the two or their respective staff and recording companies P.I.O's even, who has the time or hubris to "guess" nearly all of this ?

Exception I would hold out on to the guessing would simply be my personal assessment of how Dylan acted imho, and how Gordon seemed deflated, almost at a loss for words; his typicaly humble demeanour endearing him to his fans only more as they felt for him at that moment by-and-large as its been said.

But I guess I'd be politely lying if I did not stand by what I did think of Dylan's attitude: breach of generally accepted norms of respectful behaviour, especially in the setting of presenting an award to a living Legend no matter the validity of the reason( maybe, Dylan, despite his difficult historical repute to be a virtual prophet or legend himself, a harbinger of societal change as an anti-hero, bearer of adulation was unfairly burdened by the excessive scrutiny that a suspected demi-god by the apparent polytheists in his "heyday's" turbulent times iconic peak, and understandably has had that weight on shoulders ever since. Naaaaaahhh .

He acted like a self-absorbed schmuck. And I know I am out of thread context too. I'm being a schmuck.
Sorry.... Also, I am vacillating in my apparent opinion of his awards show behavior, primarily because I am trying, unsuccessfully, to distinguuish between THAT event, as opposed to this video, which is quite the tribute to Lightfoot in its own way,
presenting an almost polar view of what I am only guessing on anyway. Oh well.

And then.... no matter how you see that Awards ceremony video of Dylan's "behaviour" when he did the gig, it IS safe to say that, while I have no idea whether Dylan had snorted, blown, popped, pilled, drank, tooted, bloated, or hooted or whatever it is all called before, or during his presentation to Lightfoot that may have led to his behaviour that was, undeniably, exanimate, without knowing anymore than an apparent absence of enthusiasm for unknown reason or reality, SAFE to say that he is once and for all in my mind, a solid fan and respectful colleague of Gordon's. What he said at the end of this cover video only capped it; performing it, however laconic in style, was proof positive for me within the context of at least respecting the man's music - he thinks much of Lightfoot. Thanks...
~geo steve
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #9
charlene

even if he thinks much of Lightfoot music, revers it even, holds it in the highest regard, it still was ugh to me..and made my dinner come back up..
lol
Old 07-29-2008, 12:37 AM   #10
joveski

Dylan: "every time i hear a gordon lightfoot song, i wish it would never end"
Old 07-29-2008, 09:02 AM   #11
geodeticman.5

Char - U R Right. His singing, I don't care what a legend he is supposed to be, SUCKS.
And in that regard, its a terrible cover of Gord's beautiful song. LOL I liked the
way you put that. I think I was being a bit too charitable... . He sounded like a
drowning flying squirrel with adenoids and a deviated septum, compunded by
a chronic case of post-nasal drip and recurrent sinus infection that has borred
into his brain through the relatively thin bone there.

And his frontal lobe has
fallen out from too much wacky tobaccky- because I know as a goverment
employee that the U.S. G.S.A. - General Services Agency, says that "drugs are
socially unproductive", and we all know thats what was wrong with Dylan at
that Awards ceremony. Gordon Lightfoot does not write bad checks, and was
born to fight, so Mr. Dylan was awfully darn lucky he did not get punched in the
snoot, or all that snowey/blower/hoot would have fallen on the diaz.

LOL what was i thinking last night Char ? He stinks ! ROFLMAO oh my God he is bad.
I sincerely apologize to those who DO like Dylan, or respect him in any way. He just
....can't....sing. BUT THERE IS MORE TO SINGING THAN.....BEING ABLE TO SING...
WAIT...NO THERE IS NOT. lol sorry , really guys that do like Dylan.

~geo stve
geodeticman.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:57 AM   #12
imported_Next_Saturday

My reason for posting it was that I think Dylan did a great job! This version compares very favorably with Dylan's most recent hit "Beyond the Horizon". I think it's great when GL's songs get covered (with the exception of Canadian idol and most "performers" on youtube) It's interesting to hear the different interpretations.

And you have to love Dylan's comment at the end of the song,
"This song was written by Gordon Lightfoot--one of my favorite songwriters"
Old 07-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #13
GeoMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by joveski View Post
Dylan: "every time i hear a gordon lightfoot song, i wish it would never end"
"Everytime I hear a Gordon Lightfoot song, I wish it were Gordon singing it and no one else."

John
GeoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:47 PM   #14
spocksbrain

Thanks, Geocitieman,

I appreciate your sentiments on this thread. I must say that some of you guys on Corfid are Lightfoot SNOBS and have totally closed minds, which is certainly something that Lightfoot himself, being an artist, would likely discourage. I am a huge Bob Dylan fan, so I am used to hearing lots of criticism from closed minded people who say "He can't sing," and that's all fine and dandy, but from a group of people who claim to be devotees of one of the greatest musical artists of all time, I would expect some sort of appreciation for one of America's greatest poets.

So Dylan did not write "The Watchman's Gone" or any other Gordon tunes. This seems to make him totally invalid to some of you. To just totally dismiss someone whose poetry is laden with enough symbolism and imagery to keep scholars studying for the next 200 years is indeed antiacademic, and qualifies some to be called obsessive about Gordon Lightfoot. Lightfoot is still my favorite over Dylan, but some of you guys certainly need to take a step back and sit on ice for a while before listening to your Lightfoot LPs again. This lambasting of Dylan, without regard to the merits of his work has really "ground my gears". He does not sing in a traditional manner, and never has. His voice has a purpose. It is like sandpaper against the soul as David Bowie once put it. When Dylan sings, people are forced to listen.

Dylan is also one of the worlds foremost experts on the history of recorded music, with an unparalelled record collection. His XM show is quite enjoyable and shows that when he compliments Lightfoot, it REALLY MEANS A LOT!. He rarely makes TV appearances, and so for him to come to Toronto and be on a Canadian TV show to show his appreciation for one of his favorite songwriters was a true gesture of respect and friendship. HOW MANY OTHER ARTISTS HAS DYLAN DONE THIS FOR?

People on this group have let their thoughts become stale over the years with pilgrimages to Massey Hall and an overflow of concert reports. A while back I wrote a short story about a trip that included a Lightfoot concert. Some people on this group called it a CONCERT REPORT!!!!!!!!!! I could not believe it. The story was twent nine pages long and they called it a concert report. Take a damn break from Lightfoot if call someone else's art a concert report.

Bob Dylan is popular because he is an artist. He reads his music like poetry and he personifies American music. He is rough, just as this country has been. His music is not gentle for the most part, because our country is not a gentle place. AND WHEN HE COVERED "I'M NOT SUPPOSED TO CARE", it was a huge COMPLIMENT to Lightfoot. At the end he said, "That song was written by Gor-don Lightfoot, one of my favorite songwriters."

That's my vent for now.
Peace
Old 07-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #15
spocksbrain

And By the Way,
Dylan has not been on drugs in an awful long time.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:05 PM   #16
Cathy

Send a message via AIM to Cathy

I agree he's a brilliant poet. I have a bunch of his older CDs and play them often. But with his voice as it is now, I'd rather hear him read his poetry than try to sing it. His voice was bearable when he was younger, but sadly....

Of course, you could say the same of Gord. We all know his voice isn't what it used to be. When I think of Gord singing a favorite tune, he's always singing in his '70s voice.

It seems to me that Bob tries to sound gravelly (sp?), like an old blues singer. I just don't enjoy that style of music.

Cathy
Old 07-29-2008, 07:32 PM   #17
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by spocksbrain View Post
... for him to come to Toronto and be on a Canadian TV show to show his appreciation for one of his favorite songwriters was a true gesture of respect and friendship. HOW MANY OTHER ARTISTS HAS DYLAN DONE THIS FOR?
hey, first I agree, Dylan has a way with words and delivering a phrase
I didn't realize he was considered one of America's finest poets, high praise

http://archives.cbc.ca/arts_entertai...c/topics/743/#

there's a clip of the Dylan presentation at this link (the TV show was actually the somewhat traditional Juno Awards, a celebration of national talent, the Canadian version of the Grammys, which just happened to be televised) - I remember how anti-climatic it was after all the hype - I don't think the introduction was Dylan's finest writing but would make for a concise epitaph "Gordon M. Lightfoot... someone of rare talent and all that" - I would have preferred Tyson or any of a handful of other influences or influencees to be inducting Gord into the Hall of Fame but it was his choice and who can argue with that

I was serious when I said this cover was smoother than I expected (compared to live experiences) and it was a rare live recording where I could mostly make out what he was saying, even if I knew the words

all praise of artistic ability aside, I still don't think this performance would survive authentic gauges of talent such as the gong show, america's got talent, canadian idol, etc ...actually, I thought it was wonderful to hear the next generation of singer songwriter/musicians singing Gord covers, especially the CRT arrangement...I also enjoy the youtube covers as long as folks aren't singing along to the GL track itself

I don't know to what extent my GL fanaticism has left my brain stale (my brain is more like the Yeoman Janice's than Spock's, lol) but I am thankful this forum lives on and has such diversity of opinions, I don't think there is another place on the www where Gord is discussed..and the more concert reports the better, imo, but I am sorry I missed the trip short story (29 pgs sounds atleast medium) and will check it out, thanks ...keep the posts coming, I always enjoy yours

I conclude by truly thanking Dylan for teaching Gord how to write lyrics...and to more wholeheartedly thank him for not teaching Gord how to carry a melody

Last edited by jj; 07-29-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 09:35 PM   #18
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoMan View Post
"Everytime I hear a Gordon Lightfoot song, I wish it were Gordon singing it and no one else."

John
or:

"every time I hear a Gordon Lightfoot cover, I wish it'd never begun"

lol, good one, even though I do enjoy hearing alternate arrangements
Old 07-29-2008, 09:41 PM   #19
GJA

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
even if he thinks much of Lightfoot music, revers it even, holds it in the highest regard, it still was ugh to me..and made my dinner come back up..
lol
Ditto!!
Old 07-29-2008, 09:45 PM   #20
RM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
I conclude by truly thanking Dylan for teaching Gord how to write lyrics...and to more wholeheartedly thank him for not teaching Gord how to carry a melody
jj,

That's a most admirable display of gentle jousting.

I don't feel like a snob, and I also don't believe that Gordon Merideth Lightfoot or Robert Allen Zimmerman belong on a pedestal. Now, in the case of Ronald Meason, I'll need to contemplate further.
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:23 PM   #21
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
jj,

That's a most admirable display of gentle jousting.

I don't feel like a snob, and I also don't believe that Gordon Merideth Lightfoot or Robert Allen Zimmerman belong on a pedestal. Now, in the case of Ronald Meason, I'll need to contemplate further.
what, RM, no middle name?

I admire the God given and well developed artistic talents Gord and many others possess ...as for Halls of Fame and the three hundred Awards shows out there, I find them very unnecessary (same for nightly Disney fireworks) but I usually enjoy about 20% of the live performances, about 2% of the acceptance speeches and about 1% of the fashions ...btw, as far as the Juno red carpet goes, I think Dylan was over-glittery in fashion but the gloves were a nice, tribute to Canada

Last edited by jj; 07-29-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:46 PM   #22
banjobench12

Bottom line is that whatever you thought of Dylan it was clearly evident to me that Gord was happy Dylan was there and introduced him. That's good enough for me.
banjobench12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 10:54 PM   #23
charlene

i could READ dylan poetry till the cows come home. i don't like his voice and i never have. that's not snobbery. i love kris kristofferson.many say he can't sing either but i like his 'singing'. lightfoot happens to have the trifecta - songwriting skills, musical ability to play instruments and a voice to pull it together for my ear. that is my opinion...gord doesn't have the voice of an angel any longer..dylan never had one to begin with and i am not a fan of that nasal sound he's always had - it hurts my ears. i don't like blue grass and a lot of country stuff mostly because of the sound of the voices. it's just a preference. i am also not a huge fan of female performers.. i love the male voice when it sings..and regardless of the fact that bob loves lightfoot i'm sorry but dylan does not sing to me..

oh and the naming of a trip report/concert review are interchangeable around here..
lol
they are bascially one and the same and no offense was meant in the wrong labeling of your posting..
Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 AM   #24
joveski

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
dylan never had one to begin with and i am not a fan of that nasal sound he's always had - it hurts my ears. .

if any doubt about his voice, you should check out some of the gospel shows from 1979/80. even i was surprised how good he sings on those. and there's I'll keep it with mine, from 1965 and Moonshiner from 1963. i always say he can sing if he WANTS to!
Old 07-30-2008, 01:17 AM   #25
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj View Post
mr. jove, the link to his crooning of EMR doesn't work anymore?:

http://www.corfid.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=18577

found it....

also found the short story...my Mac can't open the attachment (.doc)

I always liked the Baez collection of Dylan covers, especially Sad Eyed Lady...fave Dylan vocal effort is probably from BOTT: If You See Her

I haven't owned a Dylan album since the late 90s Grammy winner that Lanois produced ...prior to that I listened repetitively to the raw collection of standards on Good As I've Been To You from the early 90s

I've always wished Gord would do a similar recording of just his voice (current tone is fine with me, love some of his fresh altered phrasings) and guitar (and hey, some harmonica too if he so chooses, lol)...what I'd really like is to hear some live Gord piano...dream on, j