banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 06-04-2019, 11:37 PM   #1
BendRick

Default Gordon mentioned on Jeopardy TV game show

Tonight (June 4) I saw Alex Trebec ask the genius contestants "whose songs included Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald and Christian Island" , and no one answered!! Are you kidding me!!
BendRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #2
closetcanadian

Default Re: Gordon mentioned on Jeopardy TV game show

The fact that none of the contestants even tried to answer the clue saddened me. Is the younger generation that unfamiliar with GL?
Old 06-05-2019, 04:32 PM   #3
johnfowles

Send a message via AIM to johnfowles

Our household had recently become somewhat addicted to Jeopardy (a general knowledge quiz show on the US NBC network so it was great to see a real Lightfoot question last night (the first show for almost two months that did not feature the "professional sports bettor" -yes "bettor" not "better"! James Holzhauer in his 33 game winning streak and his attempt to beat the previous record of around $2.5 million)
yesterday somebody posted a short video showing the question and that the three current players were stumped so that the question master (the genial Canadian Alex Trebek)had to state the answer "the fellow Canadian" Gordon Lightfoot (I bet James knew the answer!)
yesterday somebody posted a short video showing the event on the GL Gold Facebook psge which I had intended downloading and posting here for the benefit of those who either missed the broadcast or live overseas but but today it is missing,deleted by either the up-loader or Facebook. but now I have found s video on DailyMotion (the regular bowel movement website) of the entire broadcast (minus the commercial breaks, which being American television were numerous and tedious, and here is a link to it:-
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7aam4h
you still get adverts but most have a skip button thankfully
the part to watch is the nautical category. which starts at around the 12 minutes mark
I found an interesting analysis of why James made a surpisingly low final losing bet on:-
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/03/why-...-jeopardy.html
And I read that "After federal and California state taxes, Holzhauer’s net winnings will be $1.29 million — a 47.6% cut."
you can read that on:-
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/03/jame...-in-taxes.html

(where Sir does not signify that I am a fully benighted Knight just a Bt which signifies a humble Baronet -?? read the wiki!)
I meant no one no harm
Once inside we found a curious moonbeam
Doing dances on the floor

johnfowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2019, 05:21 PM   #4
Dave, Melbourne,Australia

Because the contestants look too young to have been listening to the radio in the early/mid 1970s and are not Canadian, it doesn't surprise me that they didn't know the answer. They may not know the songs, at least not by the titles.
Dave, Melbourne,Australia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2019, 05:21 AM   #5
paskatefan

We're still catching up with the Teacher's Tournament final, so we haven't had a chance to see this episode yet. I'm guessing that the contestants were too young to be familiar with Gordon - that's too bad! They definitely missing out on quality music!

Gail
paskatefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 11:08 AM   #6
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave, Melbourne,Australia View Post
Because the contestants look too young to have been listening to the radio in the early/mid 1970s and are not Canadian, it doesn't surprise me that they didn't know the answer. They may not know the songs, at least not by the titles.
too young, and even the who are Canadians at that age are probably unfamiliar with him..
I have tried my best to educate everyone I meet and that includes a dozen or more daycare kids/toddler I've had here at home! lol
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2019, 08:25 PM   #7
Mike M

Hi, only watch TV for sports and news, but a friend emailed me about this, as he has exactly what was asked and here it is. Sad that songs are being forgotten, like The Wreck.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Mike,

I know you two do not follow the TV game Jeopardy!, so you missed this question from last night's game.

Category was "Smooth Sailing in Song". The $2000 clue was "prior to The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, this singer took a smooth trip around Christian Island".

Nobody could answer it.
Mike M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 01:34 AM   #8
Melissa

I watched the show that day and was not only gleeful to see a clue/question about GL, but was positively elated that I was able to answer a $2000 clue.....in ANY category!!!

Melissa
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote