banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2004, 09:25 AM   #1
Luvs2play

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not specifically a big fan of Lightfoot, although I honestly haven't paid that much attention either. I'm getting more interested lately and plan on giving him a thorough listen.

Ironically my uncle is John Stockfish, and was married to my mother's sister during much of his involvement with Lightfoot. My parent's also knew Lightfoot well because he played at their coffeehouse in Halifax called the Privateer's in the 60's, and they sang his songs through the years themselves.

To top that all off, I'm a singer/keyboardist living in Toronto, and although I DO sing Sundown, I don't have any others.

I can almost hear the collective gasps of for shame. I know. My bad. He has great material and I plan on learning some more. Especially the early stuff.

So my question.. Does anyone here know the story of Gordon's early days with my uncle?

I've only heard a version of it from my aunt, and I can't ask him because they split in the early 90's and he moved to Nashville. He's quite a nut actually....very odd duck.

Anyway, was curious if anyone here knew anything.

Kendall
Old 09-03-2004, 09:25 AM   #2
Luvs2play

I'm embarrassed to say that I'm not specifically a big fan of Lightfoot, although I honestly haven't paid that much attention either. I'm getting more interested lately and plan on giving him a thorough listen.

Ironically my uncle is John Stockfish, and was married to my mother's sister during much of his involvement with Lightfoot. My parent's also knew Lightfoot well because he played at their coffeehouse in Halifax called the Privateer's in the 60's, and they sang his songs through the years themselves.

To top that all off, I'm a singer/keyboardist living in Toronto, and although I DO sing Sundown, I don't have any others.

I can almost hear the collective gasps of for shame. I know. My bad. He has great material and I plan on learning some more. Especially the early stuff.

So my question.. Does anyone here know the story of Gordon's early days with my uncle?

I've only heard a version of it from my aunt, and I can't ask him because they split in the early 90's and he moved to Nashville. He's quite a nut actually....very odd duck.

Anyway, was curious if anyone here knew anything.

Kendall
Old 09-03-2004, 11:55 AM   #3
Don Quixote

Hi, Kendall! I don't know much about your uncle, other than he is an awesome player, and you should be proud of that! Keep in touch with him. Is he still in Nashville? I used to record there and know alot of folks.
As for your Lightfoot experience - no one should pu you down for not listening before. But now that you are a pro musician, you should really listen to as much of Gord's material, as you can find. You are singing SUNDOWN for a reason. Gord has SO much more to offer that I'll bet, being a musician, and with your Uncle a part of this history, you will not be disappointed!
Welcome!
Sean
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2004, 11:55 AM   #4
searam

Hi, Kendall! I don't know much about your uncle, other than he is an awesome player, and you should be proud of that! Keep in touch with him. Is he still in Nashville? I used to record there and know alot of folks.
As for your Lightfoot experience - no one should pu you down for not listening before. But now that you are a pro musician, you should really listen to as much of Gord's material, as you can find. You are singing SUNDOWN for a reason. Gord has SO much more to offer that I'll bet, being a musician, and with your Uncle a part of this history, you will not be disappointed!
Welcome!
Sean
searam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 08:21 AM   #5
SomewhereupinMichigan

Well Kendall, I think it is notable (to use a musical reference) that you are interested in learning more about your uncle and his early years in the business. As you probably know, John Stockfish worked with Gord primarily between 1966-68, prior to Gord's greatest success that came in the early to mid 70s. By then John had moved on to Nashville to work with other artists, such as Jim Croce. Unfortunately I do not know the early history of how John and Gord (and Red) hooked up but I'll bet someone around here does. Alternatively, and especially since you are located in Toronto and are a musician yourself, have you attempted to hook up with E.M.P. for any insights into the "early years?" Good luck in researching your family's musical roots!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 09:12 AM   #6
Luvs2play

HEy guys. Thanks for the info. I did know something about Jim Croce being involved in the picture. My aunt said her and John lived in New York city with him at some point. This was before he made it.
Funny enough, my uncle always maintained that the song "Operator" was written about him, but altered into a love song for the recording. Not that there was anything romantic between the two, that isn't how he meant it. Lol.

That's a good idea about E.M.P. I might just give that a shot.

Hey, you guys might appreciate a story about Lightfoot. My partner Brendon met him once in an unusual way. He was walking his dog Roxy at the time and she ended up having a dump on someone's lawn in Rosedale. Well after Brendon wrapped a plastic bag around his hand and was about to scoop it, lo and behold Lightfoot came out of the house and said to him "I hope you plan on cleaning that up". So Brendon lifted his hand and said "Of course I'm going to clean it up. This isn't a hand puppet".
I don't know what he said to that, but it must have been funny.
Old 09-06-2004, 09:12 AM   #7
Luvs2play

HEy guys. Thanks for the info. I did know something about Jim Croce being involved in the picture. My aunt said her and John lived in New York city with him at some point. This was before he made it.
Funny enough, my uncle always maintained that the song "Operator" was written about him, but altered into a love song for the recording. Not that there was anything romantic between the two, that isn't how he meant it. Lol.

That's a good idea about E.M.P. I might just give that a shot.

Hey, you guys might appreciate a story about Lightfoot. My partner Brendon met him once in an unusual way. He was walking his dog Roxy at the time and she ended up having a dump on someone's lawn in Rosedale. Well after Brendon wrapped a plastic bag around his hand and was about to scoop it, lo and behold Lightfoot came out of the house and said to him "I hope you plan on cleaning that up". So Brendon lifted his hand and said "Of course I'm going to clean it up. This isn't a hand puppet".
I don't know what he said to that, but it must have been funny.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:35 PM   #8
stationmaster

LMAO! Well I can only imagine what Gord would have to say in response to that! Maybe that's when he made up "Hang Dog" Hotel Room...

[This message has been edited by stationmaster (edited September 06, 2004).]
stationmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:55 PM   #9
LSH

HA! loved that sense of humor, thanks for the laugh.
LSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:05 PM   #10
Tyler

lol
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 02:05 PM   #11
brink

lol
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:51 PM   #12
white kenyan

hello, i am also john's niece... he was my grandmothers brother. My mom and grandma always tell me stories about my uncle, jim croce and gordon lightfoot, but I would like to know more, as I am also looking for information on my uncle. What you have said so far helps alot, I am hopeing one day to be able to play as well as him. Thanks for the things you guys have said about him, he means alot. Makes me extremely proud!!...thanks!
white kenyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2004, 01:51 PM   #13
stockfish

hello, i am also john's niece... he was my grandmothers brother. My mom and grandma always tell me stories about my uncle, jim croce and gordon lightfoot, but I would like to know more, as I am also looking for information on my uncle. What you have said so far helps alot, I am hopeing one day to be able to play as well as him. Thanks for the things you guys have said about him, he means alot. Makes me extremely proud!!...thanks!
stockfish is offline   Reply With Quote