banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)

Go Back   Gordon Lightfoot Forums > General Discussion
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #1
charlene

Default Dan Hill's playlist

Dan Hill - "Sometimes When We Touch" songwriter.
His playlist:
http://www.cbc.ca/radio2/insidethemu...gend-dan-hill/
My Playlist: Dan Hill's favourite songs
Posted by Li Robbins on Apr-20-11 at 3:00 AM

What tunes do you suppose musicians like Dan Hill, Sarah Harmer, Jim Cuddy, Lorraine Segato or Joe Sealey like to listen to? Our brand new series My Playlist answers that question, by asking these musicians (and others) to wax rhapsodic about their favourite songs, both online and on air. Each My Playlist episode will debut online so you can download your favourite artists' picks, but if you'd like to listen in the traditional way, you can also tune in to hear the show on Radio 2 the following Sunday at 3 pm (3:30 NT).

Dan Hill kicks off the series today (and on Inside The Music on Sunday, April 24), with a playlist that ranges from Joe Williams to Julie Andrews. Now there's a nice contrast -- makes you wonder what a duet might sound like!

But back to reality. The My Playlist series is a bit of a peek into the musical minds of these musicians; not only do they share their playlists, they also talk about why they've chosen these particular pieces of music as touchstones.

Dan Hill is an interesting guy to start this series off, given his own notoriety (and success, to be sure) as the co-composer of the oft' maligned hit, "Sometimes When We Touch". Certainly it's not maligned by the many performers who have covered it, though. As Hill puts it, the song was the "mother of all covers," performed by the likes of Tina Turner, Rod Stewart, Barry Manilow, Tammy Wynette, Lynne Anderson, Donny Osmond, Rodney Crowell and Roseanne Cash, to name but a few. But to some segments of the audience... Well, the song is less appreciated.

Fortunately, Hill gets that not everyone loves the song (which he wrote when he was still just a teen). At the recent Juno Songwriters' Circle -- which you can hear here -- he talked about how he wrote it to impress an older woman. Turned out she wasn't so impressed, and eventually she left the country. "It was the first of many people I'm sure I drove out of the country with this song," Hill said. Yes, Hill's a good storyteller with a good sense of humor, qualities that serve him well in the context of this series.

Check it out -- the premiere of My Playlist, featuring Dan Hill:

Play Audio Clip
And here's Dan Hill's playlist. If you'd like to add any or all of these tracks to your music library, simply click on the iTunes button beside each to download:

Joe Williams with the Count Basie Orchestra, "A Fine Romance"

Julie Andrews, "My Favourite Things"

Marvin Gaye, "What's Going On"

Gordon Lightfoot, "If You Could Read My Mind"

Joni Mitchell, "A Case of You"

Neil Young, "A Man Needs A Maid"

The Beatles, "Help!"

Harry Belafonte, "Jamaica Farewell"

Prince, "Little Red Corvette"

The Guess Who, "Undun"

Judy Garland, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow"
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:02 AM   #2
Auburn Annie

Default Re: Dan Hill's playlist

I just love the eclecticism of his choices. So many kids today have no clue about sounds beyond the Top 20. For all the indie music on the internet there is no one place (like radio in the 50s and 60s, early 70s) where it's assembled in one place.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:23 AM   #3
charlene

Default Re: Dan Hill's playlist

What's interesting is that my 23 year old daughter knows all of them (and has for quite a while) but for the Joe Williams song..
She knows so many of the 'old' acts from their Muppet show appearances, watching old movies and hearing them around the house..

@ 13:42 he speaks about IYCRMM and his first concert (a story he recounted at Hugh's Room last year) and after the song he says " it is one of the most honest songs I've ever heard."
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote