banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 05-11-2011, 08:57 PM   #1
GJA

Default Rolling Stone Magazine

I just saw a Rolling Stone Mag that listed the best 100 musicians of all time...WHERE WAS GORDON???????????
Old 05-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #2
DellroyGM

Default Re: Rolling Stone Magazine

There are a lot of great musicians, or have been...but I would think in the top 100, Gord would have to find a place somewhere! I'm with you!

-DellroyGM
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 08:02 AM   #3
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

He's Canadian, and they don't count.

Just kidding. He sure should have been on there somewhere.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
DellroyGM

LOL John!
DellroyGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:57 AM   #5
Same Old Loverman

Rolling Stone magazine has zero credibility with most people who appreciate good music, so that doesn't really surprise me.
Same Old Loverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Don Quixote

I guess it depends on how you define "musician". If you mean, "instrumental player", then there are probably hundreds of guitar players alone (not to mention every other instrument) that have it over Gord; even in his own band, he certainly wasn't the guitarist Red or Terry was. Now, how many of those could also sing beautifully and compose music that transcends generations and will last through the ages and touch people to their souls, well, that's another issue. Do you really expect Rolling Stone to judge on the latter? Would you believe anything they had to say if they did? I wouldn't worry about those kinds of accolades, or snubs--and I doubt very much that Gord does either. As they say, "Consider the source."

Best to all,
DQ
Don Quixote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:43 AM   #7
JohninCt.

Location: Wallingford, Ct. Not far from what used to be Oakdale Music Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Quixote View Post
I guess it depends on how you define "musician". If you mean, "instrumental player", then there are probably hundreds of guitar players alone (not to mention every other instrument) that have it over Gord; even in his own band, he certainly wasn't the guitarist Red or Terry was. Now, how many of those could also sing beautifully and compose music that transcends generations and will last through the ages and touch people to their souls, well, that's another issue. Do you really expect Rolling Stone to judge on the latter? Would you believe anything they had to say if they did? I wouldn't worry about those kinds of accolades, or snubs--and I doubt very much that Gord does either. As they say, "Consider the source."

Best to all,
DQ
Yes, you said it best. "Depends on how you define musician". As a guitar player he is a bit above average, as a singer he was way above average, as a writer he was way way above average. I would think on many definitions that would put him on most lists. But, with guitarists like Jimmy Page, Jimi Hendrix, Eric Clapton, Chet Atkins, and many others, he is a long way from them, and I bet he would agree. In most cases they would define a "voice" as an instrument so that counts, but as a writer, I doubt they would define that as an instrument. He sings his songs better than anyone could, and to me that voice instrument belongs on any top 100 list. I haven't agreed with much of Rolling Stone mag in years, so that's why I quit reading it many years ago. Poop on them.

Last edited by JohninCt.; 05-15-2011 at 07:20 AM.
JohninCt. is offline   Reply With Quote