banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 07-24-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
youngstranger

Default Harmony: I Broke My Own Rule

Way back in 2006 I began to buy Gord's albums. I first bought Lightfoot! and decided I would buy them all in chronological order bit by bit. I broke the rule once and bought Salute when I was only supposed to be around Old Dan's Records. I got back on track after that and got them all right up to Waiting For You. I sort of fell of the wagon again at Christmas and bought myself Songbook before A Painter Passing Through.

Last week, I did it again! I bought Harmony having not yet got Painter. The reason? I'd heard Clouds of Loneliness online and it sounded so good I had to have the record. In my mind I've never really wanted Harmony much I always thought for some reason, it wouldn't be good, it would be a rehash and Gord's voice would be poor. But I must say it is a really good record, it has a sort of Don Quioxte era low-keyed consistency to it. I think it stands with anything in his discography and in a way seems superior to some of the '80s sonic experiments.

It's a really nice feeling when you think you won't hear anything "great" from one of your favourites and you do. River of Light is probably the stand out for me. Another of Gord's "anthems".
youngstranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #2
formerlylavender

Default Re: Harmony: I Broke My Own Rule

I like Harmony a lot too, youngstranger. I didn't buy the cds chronologically, but tend to listen that way. Every time I play it, I'm pleasantly surprised again at how good it is. River of Light, Sometimes I Wish and Clouds of Loneliness are standouts IMO.
formerlylavender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
jj

Quote:
Originally Posted by formerlylavender View Post
IRiver of Light, Sometimes I Wish and Clouds of Loneliness are standouts IMO.
and mine, too
jj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
bjm7777

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngstranger View Post

It's a really nice feeling when you think you won't hear anything "great" from one of your favourites and you do. River of Light is probably the stand out for me. Another of Gord's "anthems".
Absolutely...
Old 07-25-2010, 12:12 PM   #5
TC

That reminds me...I need to listen to 'Harmony' again. It's been a while.
TC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
podunklander

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC View Post
That reminds me...I need to listen to 'Harmony' again. It's been a while.
I was just thinking the same . It became my favorite GL album for awhile but it's been several months since I've listened to it. Mostly just having the radio on these days.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Jesse Joe

I myself dont listen to the radio much any more, thank goodness for CD player's in automobiles.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Peter Bro10

When I found "Waiting for You" waiting for me after more years than I care to count... Man what an album!! with Salute waiting in the wings! I think this was some of Gord's best stuff!!! IMHO

Seems there are always undiscovered gems waiting for us...

So as for "Rules"? sounds like a good plan, but sometimes one needs to be somewhat spontaneous....

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:10 PM   #9
redhead

Harmony is a beautiful CD. The first time I played it while multitasking, I thought "OK, this is nice"; it wasn't until I sat down and really listened to it free of distraction that I came to realize how lovely this final recording (to date) is.

Gordon's music grabs hold by stealth and then stays with one forever. (I jokingly refer to it as the "crack cocaine" of adult contemporary, lol) That's at least been my experience and as I discovered last year, the experience of so many folks at Corfid who continue to post about their "decades long" appreciation for the man.

redhead
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 02:30 PM   #10
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
Harmony is a beautiful CD. The first time I played it while multitasking, I thought "OK, this is nice"; it wasn't until I sat down and really listened to it free of distraction that I came to realize how lovely this final recording (to date) is.

Gordon's music grabs hold by stealth and then stays with one forever. (I jokingly refer to it as the "crack cocaine" of adult contemporary, lol) That's at least been my experience and as I discovered last year, the experience of so many folks at Corfid who continue to post about their "decades long" appreciation for the man.

redhead
Would you like to join our 12 Step programme?

Char
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 06:37 PM   #11
podunklander

oh great redhead!!! Glad to know you had a chance to sit down and listen to Harmony and enjoyed it. I actually listened to it last week in my car -my CD player isn't working and I had been listening to the radio but decided to pop the cassette in.
Old 09-07-2010, 10:42 PM   #12
shustad

Hi, I too thought 'Harmony' maybe wouldn't be as good ('Painter' had some rough spots with Gord's voice, too much twangy country, but also some nice songs, etc.), but like you, boy was I pleasently surprised! I think 'Harmony' and 'Waiting for you' are two of his very best collections of songs. Is there anyone else out there who actually likes Gord's later works better than much of the earlier as I do? I'd think that's unusual, but there it is! I sure wish he'd record again, a new album would be SO WELCOME!
Old 09-07-2010, 11:05 PM   #13
bjm7777

I think Harmony has some nicer tunes than APPT, except for Ring-Neck Loon, and Much To My Surprise. APPT is well-produced but songs from Harmony and Waiting For you are more enjoyable to me and more of a return to a simpler sound.