banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 12-02-2007, 02:58 PM   #1
charlene

Default Anne Murray DUETS cd.

This is a wonderful collection of Anne's songs that she has done with some remarkable female singers. She looks and sounds absolutely fabulous. I've seen her on the 'talk-show' circuit up here and she is aware of her talent and status as an icon but is still so down to earth and real. She's still a small town Maritimer livin' in the big city. Her passion however is golf. lol

My fave (at the moment! lol) is k.d.lang and Anne singing "A Love Song" by Kenny Loggins..they did it in a TV special several years ago..k.d. sings as effortlessly as Anne..and she adores Anne Murray. The pic of her and Anne at Anne's star on the walk of fame has them both barefoot..something Anne used to do when she first began her career and which k.d. has done as well..

www.annemurrayduets.com/canada - video clips of 'behind the scenes' with the duets partners at this link..you can also link to her website from this link.

pics at: http://www.annemurray.com/postcards8.html - page 6 has a lovely pic of her and Gord..

My goodness Anne sure made a lot of money for those songwriters!

She does Cotton Jenny with Olivia Newton-John.

From the liner notes:
Anne and Olivia's music traded chart positions thoughout the 70's and 80's. Anne was pleased that Olivia chose "Cotton Jenny" because it was a Gordon Lightfoot song and a big part of her early history. "Cotton Jenny" was a hit on both country and pop radio in Canada.

I am a huge fan of Vince Gill as well. His wife, Amy Grant has a beautiful voice.

Vince's late father used to say to her "you sound good, kid, but you're no Anne Murray."

John Lennon told Anne that her version of "You Won't See Me" was the best cover version of a Beatles song he had ever heard. She does this new version with Shelby Lynne.

Also noted is a Mr. Barry Keane who not only played drums and percussion on some selections he also was a background singer..

I was wondering why Gordon's Florida venues are different but looking at Anne's February schedule in Florida I got the answer to Sarasota and Tampa..
http://www.annemurray.com/cgi-bin/concert1.cgi
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #2
Gord H

Default Re: Anne Murray DUETS cd.

Barry K on background vocals??? That's gotta be a first

Nice pics from Anne's website... loved the photos of her and GL and Jann Arden :D
Gord H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
culverd

Yes i agree this is a great cd really enjoyed listening to it. I also recently picked up Massey Hall 1971 by Neil Yound which is if you like Neil Young a great listen. I find his voice is great on this ablum.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

Nice article here:

Anne Murray sings with her friends
By R. Scottt Reedy, correspondent
Wed Feb 06, 2008, 03:26 PM EST
Providence, R.I. -

Providence, R.I. - Anne Murray didn’t know what she was in for when executives from her record label, EMI Music Canada, called her in for a meeting.

“My manager was there as was my assistant and what seemed to be all of EMI. I didn’t know what was going on. I thought maybe it was some kind of intervention,” Murray says with a laugh. “I told them right off that I wasn’t going to do another album. As far as I was concerned, I had done my last album and that was that.”

Fortunately, for legions of Murray fans in Canada, the U.S. and throughout the world – including those heading to the Providence Performing Arts Center Wednesday, Feb. 9, for her concert with the Rhode Island Philharmonic – EMI proved persuasive and soon the four-time Grammy award winner was sold on the idea of making a duets album of some of her best-loved songs with some of her favorite singers.

“I never once in my life thought about doing a duets album,” the singer explained by telephone from her home north of Toronto last week. “And I was adamant that I had done my last album. I knew I couldn’t do another album of original musical, because it just wouldn’t sell in today’s market. The duets idea interested me right away, however, especially when I started thinking about all the possibilities.”

Murray, 62, started thinking about possible singing partners, too, soon after she shared one important idea with her record label.

“I suggested all my duet partners be female,” Murray said. “It seemed to me it would not only simplify some of the logistics, but I also thought it hadn’t been done before. The label resisted at first, but they came around.”

They also signed nine-time Grammy Award-winning record producer Phil Ramone to the project. Ramone, founder of A&R Recording, had previously worked with everyone from Karen Carpenter, Elton John and Aretha Franklin to Rod Stewart and Paul Simon.

“Our first meeting to discuss this project happened in January 2007 and the album was done by October. Phil Ramone was the first producer they approached and he was in like a dirty shirt. He works very hard and I learned a lot from him. Once we picked the songs, I told him he had free reign with them. He never strayed too far from the original arrangements, which is a good thing, because people like to hear familiar songs done the way they first heard them.”

With the veteran producer onboard, Murray set about finding duet partners for the album, "Anne Murray Duets: Freinds and Legends," which was released last month and spent last week at #8 on Billboard’s Country chart and at #42 on Billboard’s Top 200 Albums chart.

“I knew the Canadian girls like Celine Dion (‘When I Fall in Love’), Shania Twain (‘You Needed Me’) and k.d. Lang (‘A Love Song’) who grew up with me would probably be interested so we approached them first,” says the Nova Scotia-born Murray. “And then we added some people I had worked with before like Emmylou Harris (‘Another Pot O’ Tea’) and others who I had not like Carole King (‘Time Don’t Run Out on Me’) and Olivia Newton-John.

“Olivia replied right away. She’s a big Gordon Lightfoot fan so she wanted to do his song, ‘Cotton Jenny.’ Olivia was great and she came in prepared and was so good that we nailed it after only a few tries and we still had time to go out to dinner.”

Before long the list of collaborators also included Nelly Furtado (“Daydream Believer”), Indigo Girls (“A Little Good News”), Amy Grant (“Could I Have This Dance”), Martina McBride (“Danny’s Song”), Murray’s daughter, Dawn Langstroth (“Nobody Loves Me Like You Do”), and others. One with a musical theater pedigree was paired with the “Canadian songbird” on what is perhaps her signature song.

“When I first heard that the label wanted me to do ‘Snowbird’ with Sarah Brightman, I wasn’t sure what to think, because her voice is just so different. When we first got together in the studio, she looked me in the eye and said ‘You’ll have to help me with every line, because I really want to get this right.’ She was really very sweet and the song turned out very well.”

The 17 songs were recorded in Toronto, Los Angeles and Nashville, with Murray and each of her fellow artists sharing a studio, something almost unique to contemporary duets albums, which often find artists recording separately.

“That was one of my conditions. If I was going to do this album, I would get to meet each of these people.” Murray made only one exception for someone she calls “my hero,” the popular British singer Dusty Springfield, who died of cancer in 1999.

“Our duet is magical,” Murray said of her pairing with Springfield on “I Just Fall In Love Again.” With consent from Springfield’s family and estate, a new duet was made using a 1979 Springfield recording and new Murray vocals. Springfield had made her recording in a booth, instead of on the floor with the musicians, so it was possible to isolate her vocals and place them on a new track with Murray’s, making it seem like the old friends were once again singing together.

I had sung with Dusty so many times over the years. It was eerie to be in the studio again, singing along with her, knowing she is no longer with us. Everyone in the control room felt the same way. That song works beautifully as a duet and I never thought it would. I love Dusty’s voice so much.”
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 11:26 AM   #5
charlene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auburn Annie View Post
Nice article here:

“That was one of my conditions. If I was going to do this album, I would get to meet each of these people.” Murray made only one exception for someone she calls “my hero,” the popular British singer Dusty Springfield, who died of cancer in 1999.

“Our duet is magical,” Murray said of her pairing with Springfield on “I Just Fall In Love Again.” With consent from Springfield’s family and estate, a new duet was made using a 1979 Springfield recording and new Murray vocals. Springfield had made her recording in a booth, instead of on the floor with the musicians, so it was possible to isolate her vocals and place them on a new track with Murray’s, making it seem like the old friends were once again singing together.

I had sung with Dusty so many times over the years. It was eerie to be in the studio again, singing along with her, knowing she is no longer with us. Everyone in the control room felt the same way. That song works beautifully as a duet and I never thought it would. I love Dusty’s voice so much.”

Shelby Lynne has just released an album of Dusty songs..she's a wonderful artist and makes the songs her own.. http://www.shelbylynne.com/
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 02:57 AM   #6
Nightingale

Thanks for the heads up on this.
I have always liked Anne Murray and I like alot of the people she is singing with on this. I will have to see if I can find it around here.

I adore Dusty Springfield's voice. I have a couple of her cd's and play them often.
She is one of a kind.
I will go check out Shelby Lynne...thanks for the link.
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote