banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 09-12-2007, 11:10 AM   #1
lazymorning

Default Nashville or bust

I'm headed to Nashville for my first Gord show. So excited I can't stand it. Hope to see and maybe meet some of you there. I'll report back on what this meant to me.
Old 09-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #2
Moosedog

Default Re: Nashville or bust

Have a wonderful time!

Vickie
Moosedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #3
charlene

Have fun, take pics, say hi to everyone!
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 10:45 PM   #4
stationmaster

When I first saw this thread, I thought it was referring to Canadian Idol finalist Jaydee Bixby. He is the Canadian version of a seventeen year-old Elvis Presley...

He will be heading to Nashville as well...
Old 09-13-2007, 12:24 AM   #5
AndyC

Just got home from the Nashville show; GL and the guys were great. He was very "chatty" and clearly enjoying himself. The voice was thin at times, especially early on and during CRT, but the audience (at least the part around me) could not have cared less. I'll post a set list and more details in the morning.
AndyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 02:31 AM   #6
Dream Street Rose

Well, we (DSR, Kerstin, Kathy and Ken) just got back to the hotel from the Nashville concert. Gordon looked better than we've seen him look all year... he was AWESOME!!! He and the orchestra had a lot of energy for the first night back. We were so entranced with Gord's singing, that we didn't write down the set list. Tomorrow we are off to Louisville, KY for the second of our three concerts. We will write the second installment of our continuing saga ("Gordquest 2007") tomorrow night. We have to go nitey-nite now so we can be rested for our long drive. Plus, as Gordon reminded us, we will be losing an hour.
Old 09-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
Jesse Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by stationmaster View Post
When I first saw this thread, I thought it was referring to Canadian Idol finalist Jaydee Bixby. He is the Canadian version of a seventeen year-old Elvis Presley...

He will be heading to Nashville as well...

I agree stationmaster, this young lad will do just fine...
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:11 AM   #8
AndyC

Here is the setlist for last night's Nashville show:

Triangle
Cotton Jenny
14K Gold
Never Too Close
In My Fashion
Painter Passing Through
Rainy Day People
Shadows
Beautiful
Carefree Highway
Houndog Hotel Room
Ribbon of Darkness
Sundown
Watchman's Gone
(intermission)
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Alberta Bound
Don Quixote
Clouds of Loneliness
Waiting for You
IYCRMM
Restless
CRT
Baby Step Back
Old Dan's Records
(encore)
Early Morning Rain

GL reminisced a good bit about his days in Nashville; he noted that Houndog Hotel Room brought back memories of him, Jerry Jeff Walker and Kris Kristofferson staying up all night playing, writing, etc. in a motel room on James Robertson Pkwy., not far from the concert venue. He also recalled when CRT (I think that was the one) was recorded in Nashville in 1967, at the RCA studio with Charlie McCoy on the harmonica part.

It was truly an honor and privilege to hear this living legend and his crack supporting players. My wife delayed the start of her cancer treatment for a couple of weeks so we could take a short vacation and then attend this show. It was her first GL show and she was very impressed and moved. A very special evening for both of us.
Old 09-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #9
Jesse Joe

Thanks for the update Andy C, and all the best to your wife.
Jesse Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:24 AM   #10
Peter Bro10

DSR wrote: [QUOTE= Tomorrow we are off to Louisville, KY for the second of our three concerts. We will write the second installment of our continuing saga ("Gordquest 2007") tomorrow night.QUOTE]

Gordquest 2007!!! I love it! Coin that phrase!!!
If I get this much of a "buz" on after one show, you'll be in oblivion after 3!!!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 06:26 AM   #11
Peter Bro10

A little double dipping here, but I'd like to echo Jesse Joe's remarks 2 posts up!

Peter Bro10
Peter Bro10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 07:20 AM   #12
charlene

Thanks Andy. My thoughts and best wishes are with you, your wife and family at this time.
Char
Old 09-14-2007, 02:35 PM   #13
AndyC

Thanks, all. Kim has some tough days and weeks immediately ahead, and it was great to share this event with her.

I was a little surprised he didn't sing "I Used to be a Country Singer", given the location!
Old 09-15-2007, 12:14 AM   #14
brink-

Thanks for posting the setlist Andy. I truly wish all best for your wife - and for you. It will be tough for both of you, but I am betting you will have a perfect outcome.
brink- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 06:38 AM   #15
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
Thanks, all. Kim has some tough days and weeks immediately ahead, and it was great to share this event with her.

I was a little surprised he didn't sing "I Used to be a Country Singer", given the location!
Andy,

If you look at his setlists it seems that they like to alternate "I Used To Be A Country Singer" and "Hangdog Hotel Room". Just my observation over the last few years.

Best to you and your wife,

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 03:51 AM   #16
lazymorning

Well I finally have time to report my experience from my first Gord concert. UNBELIEVABLE! Everything I imagined and more. I had always wanted to take my dad to see Lightfoot and planned on going last year to the Vienna Va show but we were unable to go. Dad has always been a big fan and we all grew up listening to his wonderfull music.
My Dad, my two younger sisters and myself attended the concert. We thought Gord sounded great. He was a little weak at times. This was expected and understandable. He did seem to get stronger after the first set. The band was also great. I was really moved. Haynes' bass in Beautiful was mesmerizing and Terry's guitar work was brilliant. It was truly an emotional experience. I had a lump in my throat throughout the entire night. I was happy to hear his comments between songs. He seemed really happy and full of energy. We talked with an usher between sets and we were telling her what big fans we were and she told us to go out back after the show and me might be able to me Gord and the band. We didn't think this was possible but after the show Dad wanted to go out and see his bus and maybe even get to see him leaving. There were a few other fans out there and we waited about 40 minutes and out came Barry and Mike! They stopped and talked with for about 10 minutes! I couldn't believe it. They were great. They even told us to wait a second and Gord, Terry and Rick would be glad to see us! Then....here he came! Gord put his jacket in a car and then came over to us, talked with us and signed ticket stubs, guitars, Canadian flags, etc. There were only about 12 people waiting to see him. I think some of them were not at the show, just out there to get stuff signed. There were a few people with brand new, cheap guitars. They are probably now on ebay. He was exactly what I had imaged. Very polite, soft spoken and truly appreciative of his fans. We all told him how much he meant to us and I told him that all us lightheads/Corfids had seen Merideth's interview on youtube. He laughed and said "really, my daughter's interview?" I told him that it was priceless and we all loved it. He went on telling us that this was his job and he really loved doing the job. I didn't sleep much at all that night. Awesome!
I was suppose to meet DSR at the show and she was going to give me a Gord button. But I was unable to open the last message she sent me so I didn't know what she looked like or where she would be. While we were waiting outside I met a lady from Tenn. She was wearing a Gord button and I asked her where she got her button. She said that the lady on the first row gave it to her and she went on to tell me that the lady on the front row had seen several shows and was on a Gordquest. I thought....that was DSR! and.........THAT WAS MY BUTTON! lol
We didn't take cameras but luckily my sister decided at the last minute to buy a disposable camera just in case we were close enough to get photos. I'll post them as soon as I can scan them and figure out how to post pics. I wish we had taken something better for him to sign. All we had were our ticket stubs but this was one very emotional, wonderful night. I'll never forget it and I hope its not the last.
Jeff
Old 09-17-2007, 07:23 AM   #17
lazymorning

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlene View Post
Have fun, take pics, say hi to everyone!
I'll get the photos on here as soon as I can get them scanned. Not very good quality. They were taken with a disposable camera.
Old 09-17-2007, 09:50 AM   #18
charlene

Just remember - the camera is disposable..not the photos!
Old 09-17-2007, 11:33 PM   #19
lazymorning

<-------Trying to attach photos. Hope this works! These three pics are of Gord, my Dad, me (the BIG one) and one of my sisters (in white)........and the lady who stole my BUTTON! lol
Jeff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GL 1.jpg
Views:	613
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	200   Click image for larger version

Name:	GL 2.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	239.0 KB
ID:	201   Click image for larger version

Name:	GL 4.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	187.3 KB
ID:	202  
Old 09-17-2007, 11:58 PM   #20
RM

Jeff,

Superb pictures, and I especially liked the 3rd one. There's that 'Lightfoot look'.

I may have overlooked the info in your previous posts........Was this your dad's first concert also ?
RM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:06 PM   #21
lazymorning

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM View Post
Jeff,

Superb pictures, and I especially liked the 3rd one. There's that 'Lightfoot look'.

I may have overlooked the info in your previous posts........Was this your dad's first concert also ?
Yes, can you see the smile on Dad's face? This was his first show also. He had a great time and I think what made it so special to me is sharing this Lightfoot concert with my Dad. My two Heros........