banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-22-2007, 08:04 PM   #1
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Heard this song for the 1st time last night which was about the 1966 sniper inncident and The University of Texas.

Also anyone know exactly when he began his career?

I did check our a couple of sites on him but they didn't have much of a biography on him. Since he was 38 in 1981 when he died I don't know if he was new in the 70s or if he was like Lightfoot who was around for sometime before he hit it big.

alsso here's some for on it.

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=bizrec
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #2
louisemnnpls

Send a message via Yahoo to louisemnnpls

Oh gosh! Am just looking at a Harry Chapin album. It was his 9th, entitled "Living Room Suite", from 1978, so, don't know when his first came out. I have a lot of this stuff in my scrapbooks. Will have to go and look. We didn't have computers in those days.

I remember it SO well!!! Terrible!! We had just been to a concert and his name was up on the Marquise, as a future attraction. And then, in a few days it was gone.
Old 04-22-2007, 09:03 PM   #3
charlene

some info:

http://harrychapin.com/articles/rsobit.shtml
charlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 05:12 PM   #4
louisemnnpls

Quote:
Originally posted by charlene:
some info:

http://harrychapin.com/articles/rsobit.shtml
Char- Thanks for the info-
If Harry Chapin was a "third rate folk-singer", as he said, he more than compensated for that, as a "first rate human being" and a tirelss force in the attempt to fight "world hunger". What might he have accomplished if he had lived a long life?
Old 04-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #5
Borderstone

I regret to say I know little about Chapin. I know his four hits,came name maybe 4 LP's and I know his brother Tom Chapin used to host the saturday (maybe Sunday?)kids show "Make A Wish".

I also know he perished in car acident in 1981.
A few years back I saw a tribute concert on PBS,long time coming but very moving.
Old 04-24-2007, 05:52 PM   #6
louisemnnpls

Borderstone, Harry Chapin had to be one of the most unselfish musicians ever. (Like Gord) He didn't care what people thought of him. He had a mission in life and was true to that until the end. (Yes, he was in an auto accident. He was in a VW and collided with a semi. Awful!)

I can remember he was often on the "Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson. We always looked forward to seeing him so much!!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 05:12 PM   #7
Borderstone

I had a feeling he was that type of singer/songwriter. Especially on "Living Room Suite" having a song called "Flowers Are Red".

You have to not care to sing that.
Old 04-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
fezo

Harry Chapin was a decent song writer and an OK act on vinyl. He was an outstanding human being and a heck of a live act! I only saw him once but was stunned at how good a show he put on and how dedicated he was to dealing with hunger. This was maybe a 13 thousand seat venue full of fans and he announced he would be at the t-shirt, etc table and that the profits were going to fight hunger and that he'd stay and sign anything until everyone was gone.

Sadly, I was depending on a ride and they didn't want to hang out.

He was scheduled to play the same venue on what turned out to be two days after his death.
fezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #9
Affair on Touhy Ave.

Default Re: Harry Chapin/Sniper.

This is another vid on UT sniper inncident which was covered by PBS station KLRN, which at that time broadcasted from the UT Campus.

The next video is Part 1 of a Proclamation in which various people who were honored in stopped Charles Whitman which also included giving certificates to the families of those who had since passed on, including the grandchildren of "Billy Paul Speed", an Austin Police Officer who was killed by Whitman.

And while I might be off favoring 1 group of people over the others, I found it quite interesting to see the 2 grandchildren accepting the certificate for thir grandfather who they sadly never got to meet.
Affair on Touhy Ave. is offline   Reply With Quote