banner.gif (3613 Byte)

Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif
1x1.gif You are at: Home - Discussion Forum 1x1.gif
Corner.gif 1x1.gif Corner.gif

round_corner_upleft.gif (837 Byte) 1x1.gif (807 Byte) round_corner_upright.gif (837 Byte)
Old 04-24-2004, 07:01 AM   #1
muklucannie

Print Story
E-mail Story

Apr. 24, 2004. 01:00 AM

STAR COLUMNISTS

> Miro Cernetig

> Graham Fraser

> Richard Gwyn

> Stephen Handelman

> Chantal Hebert

> James Travers

> Ian Urquhart

> Thomas Walkom

Lightfoot wants to give gift of music

Gordon Lightfoot wants to present McMaster University Medical Centre with a gift of music, a special benefit concert in Hamilton this fall to thank the hospital and its staff for saving his life.

It's been almost 20 months since a burst abdominal artery struck down the legendary Canadian folksinger shortly before a concert in his hometown of Orillia. Lightfoot, 65, is now in the final stages of a lengthy recovery and making plans to restart his career.

They include a special concert, likely at Hamilton Place, with proceeds going to the hospital where a team of surgeons performed life-saving surgery to stem the blood flooding his abdominal cavity.

Lightfoot spent three months in the medical centre after the September, 2002, surgery. For six weeks of the time, he was in a coma. He has returned there many times since for follow-up surgeries, procedures and therapy.

"Apart from having a degenerative disease, it's about the worst that can happen to you," Lightfoot said of his near-fatal emergency. "It kills just about everybody. Some people are dead within five hours."

Lightfoot told the Hamilton Spectator this week he hopes to be well enough to perform a few select concerts in southern Ontario by the end of the year.

"And I would add a show dedicated to McMaster hospital at Hamilton Place," Lightfoot said. "And I would try to do that maybe in the late fall."

TORSTAR NEWS SERVICE
muklucannie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 07:01 AM   #2
Char1

Print Story
E-mail Story

Apr. 24, 2004. 01:00 AM

STAR COLUMNISTS

> Miro Cernetig

> Graham Fraser

> Richard Gwyn

> Stephen Handelman

> Chantal Hebert

> James Travers

> Ian Urquhart

> Thomas Walkom

Lightfoot wants to give gift of music

Gordon Lightfoot wants to present McMaster University Medical Centre with a gift of music, a special benefit concert in Hamilton this fall to thank the hospital and its staff for saving his life.

It's been almost 20 months since a burst abdominal artery struck down the legendary Canadian folksinger shortly before a concert in his hometown of Orillia. Lightfoot, 65, is now in the final stages of a lengthy recovery and making plans to restart his career.

They include a special concert, likely at Hamilton Place, with proceeds going to the hospital where a team of surgeons performed life-saving surgery to stem the blood flooding his abdominal cavity.

Lightfoot spent three months in the medical centre after the September, 2002, surgery. For six weeks of the time, he was in a coma. He has returned there many times since for follow-up surgeries, procedures and therapy.

"Apart from having a degenerative disease, it's about the worst that can happen to you," Lightfoot said of his near-fatal emergency. "It kills just about everybody. Some people are dead within five hours."

Lightfoot told the Hamilton Spectator this week he hopes to be well enough to perform a few select concerts in southern Ontario by the end of the year.

"And I would add a show dedicated to McMaster hospital at Hamilton Place," Lightfoot said. "And I would try to do that maybe in the late fall."

TORSTAR NEWS SERVICE
Char1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 07:54 AM   #3
Auburn Annie

Now doesn't that just sound like our man? What a nice gesture - maybe two concerts, one for the paying public, one just for employees.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 07:54 AM   #4
Auburn Annie

Now doesn't that just sound like our man? What a nice gesture - maybe two concerts, one for the paying public, one just for employees.
Auburn Annie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:13 AM   #5
SomewhereupinMichigan

Now that's a cause I would support...just let me know when, where and how to buy the tix!
SomewhereupinMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:19 AM   #6
Tyler

How great, you know the concert he was doing in Orillia was to benefit the Soldiers home and the Mariposa festival. Now another benefit. Gord just keeps on giving! With all the news stories out right now it sounds like he is itching to get back at it. Great for him and for us.
Thanks Char. PS let me know too about tickets.
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 10:19 AM   #7
brink

How great, you know the concert he was doing in Orillia was to benefit the Soldiers home and the Mariposa festival. Now another benefit. Gord just keeps on giving! With all the news stories out right now it sounds like he is itching to get back at it. Great for him and for us.
Thanks Char. PS let me know too about tickets.
brink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2004, 01:07 PM   #8
Gord

I was absolutely flabbergasted when I heard this on the radio today because I didn't think he would even contemplate coming back to the stage much before 2005.

However it's great news and I am going no matter what the cost is!

I'm wondering if CBC is gonna send a crew to televise this? I think that would be great so the entire country can see him not just us lucky folks in Southern Ontario

Old 04-24-2004, 01:07 PM   #9
Gord

I was absolutely flabbergasted when I heard this on the radio today because I didn't think he would even contemplate coming back to the stage much before 2005.

However it's great news and I am going no matter what the cost is!

I'm wondering if CBC is gonna send a crew to televise this? I think that would be great so the entire country can see him not just us lucky folks in Southern Ontario

Old 04-29-2004, 08:06 PM   #10
BILLW

Send a message via AIM to BILLW

I receieved this reply to my email to the hospital:

Hi Mr. Wallace:
Public Relations does not have any detailed information on Mr. Lightfoot's
Benefit. We understand that plans are tentative at this time, but a formal
announcement will be made when the details are confirmed.
Shannon Cotnam, Public Relations & Communications

Sounds promising to me.

Bill
BILLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 11:57 PM   #11
Tyler

Bill W it sounds like you have an inside contact, can you get us all back stage passes. WAIT, backstage might be as a patient. Just get us all tickets, okay?
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2004, 11:57 PM   #12
brink

Bill W it sounds like you have an inside contact, can you get us all back stage passes. WAIT, backstage might be as a patient. Just get us all tickets, okay?
brink is offline   Reply With Quote